Caring for a puppy with a proper nutritional diet is a challenging task. Just like human beings, dogs also need a healthy and nutritious food for growth and the development of organs, bones, and muscles. It is essential to take care of the diet in the puppy stage of a dog, because it is a crucial time for the overall development of a dog. Therefore, you need the best dog food for puppies.
People adopt puppies and take care of them like their babies. Therefore, they are too much concerned about their health as well as diet. Everyone wants to have a dog with a sharp and healthy brain, lean muscles, shiny coat, good vision, strong bones, etc. All these things are possible with a good and healthy diet.
It is mandatory to provide healthy, organic, and nutrient-filled food to your puppies. Good and quality food makes your puppy healthy and happy. There will be no risk of any allergies and diseases if you serve healthy and nutritious food to your young dog.
One should ask the veterinarian for a better food chart and nutrition required for their pet. After consultancy, it becomes easy to provide the right food in the right amount to puppies.
There are different types of dog foods available for the puppies. But, it is necessary to determine what your dog needs and likes to eat. As you are a caretaker of your puppy, then you must be aware of its breed, allergies, and eating habits.
You should provide a healthy diet to your puppy so that it can be happy, healthy, strong, and well-grown.
Your dog’s diet must be balanced with all the nutrients and high-quality ingredients. Puppies have different nutritional needs compared to adult and senior dogs. The dog food companies prepare formulated foods for every age of a dog.
You can easily choose the best one out of it. You should ask for the diet from your veterinarian, and choose the right one from a variety of dog foods available in the market.
In the following write-up, you will know a lot of things about the nutritional diet of puppies and the best puppy foods available in the market.
- 1 15 Best Dog Foods For Puppies
- 1.1 1. Purina Pro Focus
- 1.2 2. Blue Buffalo Life Protection
- 1.3 3. Iams Proactive
- 1.4 4. Purina One SmartBlend
- 1.5 5. Blue Buffalo Wilderness
- 1.6 6. Hill’s Science Diet Chicken Meal
- 1.7 7. Hill’s Science Diet Chicken Meal and Barley
- 1.8 8. Pedigree Complete Nutrition
- 1.9 9. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken
- 1.10 10. Eukanuba Chicken
- 1.11 11. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain
- 1.12 12. Nature’s Chicken, Sweet Potato & Pumpkin
- 1.13 13. Orijen Puppy
- 1.14 14. Castor & Pollux Organix
- 2 5 Types Of Dog Foods
- 3 How To Feed Dog Food To Puppies?
- 4 7 Benefits Of Dog Food For Puppies
- 5 9 Factors To Consider Before Buying Best Dog Foods For Puppies
- 6 5 FAQs on Food for Puppies
- 7 Best Dog Foods For Puppies – The Bottom Line
15 Best Dog Foods For Puppies
1. Purina Pro Focus
You can fulfill your puppy’s nutritional needs by 34 pounds Purina Pro Plan Chicken & Rice Formula dry dog food for puppies. It contains high-quality protein sources like chicken, that helps in the development and maintenance of healthy muscles in puppies.
It has DHA from omega-rich fish oil, which helps in nourishing the development of the brain and vision. Other minerals like calcium, phosphorus, etc., help in building strong teeth and bones. It is complete with balanced and nutritious elements to make your puppy happy and healthy. Check out its other exciting features in detail.
- Chicken and Rice Formula: The 34 pounds Purina dog food is made with chicken and rice formula. It is a dry puppy food that is extremely healthy for your puppies.
- Protein: It is made with high-quality protein, which consists of real chicken as the primary ingredient. It is protein-rich and beneficial for the dogs that require a high protein diet.
- DHA from Omega Rich Fish Oil: This dog food is filled with DHA extracted from omega rich fish oil that helps in nourishing the brain and developing good vision.
- Antioxidant-Rich Formula: It helps in supporting and developing the immune system of a puppy.
2. Blue Buffalo Life Protection
The puppy phase is an essential stage in the dog’s life. Blue Buffalo Lite Protection provides healthy growth and development of puppies. It contains delicious and healthy ingredients that your dog will love to eat. It is the best dog food for puppies with premium-quality ingredients like real meat, fruit, and vegetables. Check out its other features in detail.
- Real Meat: This dog food has real meat, which provides high-quality protein to your dog. It helps in building and maintaining healthy muscles. It also contains wholesome whole grains, veggies, and fruit.
- Suitable for Puppies: This food is specially manufactured for puppies only. It contains DHA and ARA, with critical fatty acids to help with cognitive function and retinal health.
- Lifesource Bits: This puppy food contains LifeSource Bits, which is a perfect blend of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. It is certified by veterinarians and animal nutritionists. It helps in supporting the immune system.
- Organic Dog Food: This Blue Buffalo dog food is made with natural ingredients like vitamins and minerals. It contains no corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors, or preservatives.
- Quantity: The packing of the food containing chicken and brown rice is 30 lbs.
3. Iams Proactive
A veterinarian highly recommends this healthy smart puppy food by IAMS ProActive because it is made with real ingredients. It consists of chicken and wholesome grains and veggies. It is perfect for large puppies with weight from 50 to 120 lbs.
The ingredients are of good quality as well as easily digestible. It helps in providing a healthy immune system, healthy skin, coat, and strong bones. Check out its amazing features in detail.
- Quantity: The packing of 30.6 pounds contains IAMS Proactive health smart dog food for large puppies.
- Veterinarians Recommended: Many veterinarians across the world recommend IAMS puppy food for good health and development of your dog.
- Real Chicken: This dog food contains real chicken as the main ingredient. It is a high protein diet, with 22 other nutrients for building strong muscles and healthy joints of your dog.
- Omega 3 DHA: The dog food contains omega 3 DHA, which helps in promoting healthy cognition for smart and trainable puppies.
- Ideal for Large Puppies: This puppy food is perfect for large puppy breeds to fulfill nutritional needs and maintain its wellness.
4. Purina One SmartBlend
It is the best dog food for puppies by Purina. It provides complete nutrition to large puppy breeds. It consists of real chicken as the main ingredient in this dry puppy food. It is easy to digest, as it is made after considering the delicate stomach of the puppies.
There are natural sources of glucosamine which helps in supporting its growing joints. The high-protein helps in building strong muscles and heart. Go through its other features in detail so that you can get a better idea of this dog food.
- Quantity: The packing of 31.1 lbs of Purina Smartblend Natural Dry Puppy Food comes for exceptionally large breeds.
- Real Chicken: This dog food contains real chicken as the main ingredient.
- Easy to Digest: If your puppy has a delicate stomach, then you can serve this dish with rice, which is easy to digest.
- High Protein: It is a high-protein food that helps in building muscles and heart strength.
- Glucosamine: It has natural sources of glucosamine, which helps in supporting the growing joints of your puppy.
5. Blue Buffalo Wilderness
This dog food is packed with delicious chicken and other healthy ingredients. Blue Buffalo Wilderness contains DHA that helps in supporting cognitive development. The lean protein formula fulfills every need in growing dogs.
The company is from the United States, which makes premium-quality pet foods with real meat, fruit, and vegetables. Read more about its other features in detail.
- Real Chicken: It is a high protein puppy dog food with real chicken that helps in the development of strong muscles.
- Grain-free: Some puppies are allergic to grain. It is grain-free and made with other healthy ingredients to promote healthy development by including DHA and ARA. It has fatty acids that support cognitive development and retinal health.
- Lifesource Bits: This formula contains Life source Bits, which is a mixture of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals recommended by veterinarians and animal nutritionists. It helps in building a strong immune system and maintaining a healthy oxidative balance.
- Organic: This dry dog food is made with natural ingredients, including vitamins and minerals. There are no artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives.
- Quantity: The BLUE Wilderness dog food comes in a 24 lbs bag, which contains high protein, chicken, and is completely grain-free.
6. Hill’s Science Diet Chicken Meal
Hill’s Science dog food is made with natural ingredients, in a small kibble size for small puppies. This premium food helps in supporting development of the brain and eye by DHA from the fish oil. It has a high-quality protein for building lean and strong muscles.
The minerals in this dog food help in promoting strong teeth and healthy bones. Check out its exciting features before feeding the dog food to your puppies.
- DHA: This dry puppy food contains DHA from fish oil for the development of a healthy brain and eyes.
- High-quality Protein: It is a protein-rich food for feeding small breed dogs to build lean and strong muscles.
- Minerals: It contains a balanced amount of minerals that help in promoting strong bones and healthy teeth.
- Chicken-Vegetable Meal: This dog food is mixed up with healthy ingredients, including chicken and vegetables, which is easy to digest and very healthy for dogs.
- Made in the USA: You can trust the brand and its product as it is made in the USA with all healthy ingredients for dogs.
- Veterinarian Recommended: Veterinarians highly recommend this dog food.
7. Hill’s Science Diet Chicken Meal and Barley
Hills science diet dog food is made with natural ingredients, including DHA from fish oil, high-quality protein for building lean muscle. It is recommended for puppies that are up to 1 year old. Read more about this product in detail.
- Chicken and Barley Formula: This dry puppy food formula helps in providing a healthy immune system, as well as ensures the overall growth of puppies.
- DHA: This food for puppies contains DHA from fish oil, which helps in the development of a healthy brain and eyes.
- High-quality Protein: This dog food is protein-rich, which supports the growth of lean and strong muscles.
- Minerals: There is an equal quantity of minerals, which helps in promoting strong bones as well as teeth in young dogs.
- Organic: The dog food is made with natural ingredients, and it does not have artificial colors and flavors.
8. Pedigree Complete Nutrition
Pedigree manufactures the best dog food for puppies, which helps in the overall growth and development of the puppies. It comes in a chicken and vegetable flavor that taste good for dogs.
It contains DHA for healthy brain development, calcium, and phosphorus for sharp teeth and bones. There are no high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors, and added sugar. It is a complete and balanced meal that you can serve your dog. Go through its other exciting features in detail.
- Quantity: This Pedigree dry dog food comes in a 36 lbs packing with chicken and vegetables as the main ingredients.
- Calcium and Phosphorous: You can give complete and balanced nutrition to your dog by providing enough calcium and phosphorus that helps in developing sharp teeth and bones.
- Chicken Flavor: This food comes with a delicious chicken flavor that is liked by many dogs. It also contains antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals for maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
- DHA: This puppy food is formulated with DHA, which promotes the brain development of growing puppies.
- Organic: It is made with natural ingredients. It has no high fructose, corn syrup, artificial flavors, and added sugar.
9. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken
The dog food is made with delicious chicken. Blue Buffalo Wilderness chicken contains DHA for cognitive development and protein for lean and strong muscles. It is a premium-quality pet food with real meat, fruit, and vegetables. Check out its other features before buying dog food for your puppy.
- Real Chicken: This dog food is made with real chicken to help puppies in the growth of healthy muscles.
- Grain-free: It is grain-free puppy food for large breeds, which is made with healthy ingredients to promote development. It includes DHA and ARA, that helps in cognitive development and retinal health.
- Lifesource Bits: This puppy food contains LifeSource Bits, which is a perfect blend of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. It is certified by veterinarians and animal nutritionists. It helps in supporting the immune system.
- Natural: It formulated for the well-being and health of your dog. It is made with natural ingredients along with vitamins and minerals. There are no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
- Quantity: This dog food comes in a 24 lbs bag, which is high-protein, grain-free, and has natural chicken.
10. Eukanuba Chicken
Eukanuba Puppy dry dog food is for large breeds. It is a complete and balanced food for growing the body, mind, and energy. It contains high-quality animal proteins and high levels of calcium and phosphorus to maintain muscle growth and bone health.
The DHA levels help in promoting the development of a healthy brain. It has optimized fat and carbohydrate levels to provide concentrated energy to your puppy. Check out its exciting features that you must consider before a dog food for your puppy.
- Balanced Nutrition: This dog food provides balanced nutrition to large breeds of up to 15 months old.
- Calcium and Phosphorus Levels: There are adequate levels of calcium and phosphorus, which helps in muscle growth and bone health. It consists of high-quality animal protein as well.
- DHA: The DHA helps in supporting the development of a healthy brain for smarter and trainable puppies.
- Fat and Carbohydrate Levels: The fat and carbohydrate levels in the dog food provides the right amount of concentrated energy, which is beneficial for growing puppies.
- Chicken: This puppy food contains high-quality chicken as the main ingredient to provide proper amounts of protein to your dog.
11. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain
The Rocky Mountain Recipe of Blue Buffalo is the best dog food for puppies. It contains all the necessary ingredients for the growth of puppies. You can trust the product, as the company is based in the United States.
Blue Buffalo manufactures a premium-quality of pet foods with real meat, fruit, and vegetables. Check out its other features in detail.
- Real Beef: The Rocky Mountains recipe contains real beef to provide a high-protein diet to your puppy. This food is chicken-free and has red meat to fulfill your puppy’s wild side needs and helps in building the strong lean muscles.
- Grain-free: It is a grain-free puppy food to promote the healthy development of your puppy. It includes DHA and ARA that supports cognitive development and retinal health.
- Lifesource Bits: This puppy food contains LifeSource Bits, which is a perfect blend of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. It is certified by veterinarians and animal nutritionists. It helps in supporting a strong immune system.
- Natural Dog Food: It is formulated with natural ingredients for the development of the dog’s health. It contains vitamins, minerals, and no artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Quantity: This dog food comes in a 22 lbs packing with high-protein, grain-free, and red meat food.
12. Nature’s Chicken, Sweet Potato & Pumpkin
Nature’s Recipe is a grain-free chicken, sweet potato, and pumpkin dog food. It has a delicious chicken taste with balanced nutrients. The high-quality protein supports the development of muscles and maintaining vital organs. Check out its exciting features in detail.
- Quantity: This dog food comes in 12 pounds packing.
- Real Chicken: This dog food contains real chicken as the main ingredient.
- Natural Dog Food: There are different vitamins, minerals, and nutrients in this natural dog food.
- Grain-free: This dog food is grain-free that contains nutrient-dense carbohydrate sources such as sweet potato and pumpkin.
- No Artificial Ingredients: Some ingredients are not added like corn, wheat, soy, poultry, artificial colors, or flavors.
13. Orijen Puppy
Orijen Puppy Dog Food is made with fresh and natural ingredients, including meat, cartilage, gluten, potato, etc. It is a protein-rich dog food which is very healthy for puppies. Check out its other features in detail.
- Whole Animal Ingredients: The Orijen provides a diet-rich, fresh, and whole animal ingredients. It contains raw animal ingredients, including meat, organs, cartilage, and bone.
- Grain-free: This dog food is without grains, as some dogs are allergic to grains.
- Reliable Product: You can rely on the fresh and completely organic ingredients in this puppy food.
14. Castor & Pollux Organix
This organic dog food is the best dog for puppies. Castor and Pollux Organix is USDA organically certified dog food and is made with natural ingredients, chicken, or turkey as the main ingredient.
No chemical pesticides, artificial preservatives, synthetic fertilizers, or antibiotics are added in the Organix dog food. Check out its interesting features and consider it before purchasing dog food for your puppy.
- Organic: The ingredients of dog food are entirely natural. It also contains real chicken for better growth and development of the dog’s body.
- DHA: It contains DHA for the healthy development of the growing puppies.
- Grain-free: There are no grains in dog food. It is packed with organic flaxseed, blueberries, and coconut oil.
- No Artificial Ingredients: The ingredients of this dog food are entirely natural and safe. There are no chemical pesticides, artificial preservatives, synthetic fertilizers, or antibiotics.
5 Types Of Dog Foods
There are a variety of dog foods available in the market, but there are certain categories of dog foods. It is necessary to decide the right type of dog food that is liked by your puppy as well as fulfill its nutritional needs. There are mainly five types of dog foods.
1. Kibble or Dry
Dry food is considered to be the most economical type of dog food. Many owners choose this type for their dog because it comes at an affordable price range. It lasts for a long time with no need for freezing.
Dry food helps in keeping the dog’s teeth healthy. This chewing and crunchy dry food helps in reducing the buildup of tartar. If you choose a specific dry food, then you must read the ingredients carefully. Choose a good brand that provides a proper amount of nutrients in a single packing.
2. Canned Or Wet
Many dogs love to eat canned or wet food. You can easily find this food and keep it for a long time. But it is comparatively expensive. The canned food has a good amount of protein that your puppy needs. But, you need to make sure that you must buy that product which is easily digested by your dog.
Some of the canned food contains 75% of water content. If your food has higher water content, then there will be less nutrient content. It means that you have to serve more food for your dog to fulfill its nutritional needs.
The dog foods that are shaped like pork chops, burgers, or meaty foods are the semi-moist foods. These foods are comparatively less nutritional than others. It may contain artificial flavors and colorings. You can provide such foods to your puppy on an occasional basis. It is better not to consider it as part of a regular diet.
4. Home Cooked
Some dog owners control the diet of their dog by providing them home-cooked food. This diet ensures that you are providing every nutrient to your dog by yourself in a good amount. If you feed a home-cooked diet to your dog, then it may be time-consuming and expensive, but it is very healthy because it is fresh with artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives.
A raw diet contains raw meat, with some bones and mixed organs that are not cooked at all. Bones provide a natural source of phosphorus and calcium. This type of diet is beneficial for many dog breeds, but only if your dog has short intestinal tracts and strong stomach acids.
It becomes easy to consume and digest raw food when your dog has a strong stomach. You must talk to your veterinarian before serving raw food to your dog.
How To Feed Dog Food To Puppies?
You need to feed your puppy by its age. Here, you can check the ways to feed the dog food to your young dog by its age.
1. 6 To 12 Weeks
It is a growing age of puppies which requires good puppy food. Your dog needs a balanced diet that is specially formulated to meet all the nutritional requirements for its healthy development and growth. You need to feed your puppy four times a day. It is enough to meet its dietary demands. The large breeds need to be fed unmoistened dry food for 9 to 10 weeks and small dogs for 12 to 13 weeks.
2. 3 To 6 Months
During this period, you need to decrease the feedings from four to three times a day. Your puppy may lose its potbelly and pudginess by 12 weeks. If it is still fine at this age, then you can continue to feed your puppy in small portions until its body gets matured.
3. 6 To 12 Months
Now, at this stage, you can feed twice a day. At this time, your dog may have low energy levels, and you can switch from nutrient-rich puppy food to adult dog food. Small breeds can change food in 7 to 9 months, and on the other hand, the bigger breeds can switch in 12 to 14 months.
4. After 1 Year
Many people feed their adult dogs two half-portions a day.
7 Benefits Of Dog Food For Puppies
Like human beings, dogs also need good and healthy food. Puppies need a healthy diet for the overall development and growth of the body, muscles, and organs like human babies. There are various benefits of feeding puppy food to your young dogs.
All the overprocessed diets like dry, wet, and frozen foods are not good for the digestive system of your dogs. It is challenging for them to break down and glean the nutrients. It is easy to digest fresh ingredients available in home-cooked food.
A dog’s body can absorb a lot of energy from the served food. After getting the right meal, your puppy will be more ready for longer walks, hikes, and play around in the park.
⇒ 7 Things you need to know about the Cavapoochon, 13 Things to know about the Bear Coat Shar Pei, All about Zuchon Dogs, 29 Fluffy Big Dog Breeds You’ll Adore, 27 Big White Dog Breeds, 27 Expensive Dog Breeds, 29 Asian Dog Breeds, All about the Shih Tzu Pomeranian, 23 Best Indian Dog Breeds, 19 White Big Fluffy Dog Breeds, 13 Best Behaved Dog Breeds, 13 Things to Know about Pomapoo Dogs, 29 Blue Eyed Dog Breeds, 13 Things to Know about the Chihuahua Shi Tzu Mix, 27 Aggressive Dog Breeds, 14 things to know about the Shih Tzu mixed with Yorkie, 33 Big Dogs that Don’t Shed, Things you need to know about the Shih Tzu Mini, All about Border Collie Blue Merles, 13 Things to know about the Maltese Mix Shih Tzu, 27 Most Beautiful Dog Breeds, 13 Things to Know about the Maltese Mix Shih Tzu, 23 Sensational Spotted Dog Breeds and All About the Golden Mountain Doodle.
2. Shiny Hair
Healthy oils in good food help in making the coating of hair on the dog’s body shinier. These fats help in changing the dull coat into a glossy one. Your dog will look more attractive and beautiful to you.
3. Healthy Skin
A healthy diet works wonders on the skin of your dog. If your dog is suffering from any skin disease or allergies, then a healthy and nutritional diet can quickly cure the disease. You can serve fresh food to your dog as a natural remedy. The nutrients in fresh food like vitamins, zinc, and fatty acids help in treating the skin issues in dogs.
4. Bright And Healthy Eyes
Dogs also need vitamin A for their eye health. You must buy dog food that contains plenty of vitamin A for good vision and healthy eyes.
5. Less Waste And Firm Stools
In some dog foods, there is an excessive amount of non-protein fiber, which is not at all good for your dog’s health. It is difficult for the digestive system to break down too much fiber and absorb the essential nutrients from food. Such types of food can cause digestive issues in your dogs. You must provide a balanced diet, so that the stools of your pet are small and firmer.
⇒ Keep your dog in its best health with my articles on How Long Can a Dog go Without Water, Best Glucosamine for Dogs, Why do Dogs Bark at Night?, Best Dog Vitamins, Best Fish Oil for Dogs, Best Flea Treatments for Dogs and Best CBD Oils for Dogs.
Just like human beings, it is necessary that your dog likes the taste of the food. It is essential to have food that has nutritional value as well as good taste. You also feel good if your dog loves the food you are feeding.
7. Long Life
If you feed your dog healthy food, then there will be less risk of allergies, diseases, etc. and your dog will enjoy a long and healthy life. You can give good health to your dog by feeding it good food.
9 Factors To Consider Before Buying Best Dog Foods For Puppies
Your puppy’s health is essential, and good dog food is necessary for the development of your puppy. One cannot afford incorrect dog food for his puppy. Here, you can check various factors that you should consider before purchasing dog food for your puppy.
Nutrition is a critical requirement in every type of food product. Dogs have the same nutritional needs or more than human beings. You can fulfill your dog’s meals by providing the right amount of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.
Protein is the necessary nutritional element for dogs, so you need to opt for mostly meat-based meals. But you should choose the correct type of meat. On the other hand, healthy fats are another important nutritional factor for puppies. In winters, more fats help in keeping the dog’s body warmer.
You should check the product label before purchasing any dog food. There is more usage of preservatives in dog food to keep it fresh for a long time. But, it is not at all healthy for dogs.
Try to buy dog food with natural preservatives, like tocopherol or vitamin E and its derivatives like ascorbic acid (vitamin C). These natural preservatives are comparatively safer than chemical ones, as they boost the dog’s immune system due to its vitamin properties.
3. Age Of Your Dog
The daily calorie intake for every dog depends on its age. A small puppy needs a higher calorie diet as compared to adult dogs. In the growing stage, puppies are more active than at the later stages.
They need a high amount of proteins and carbohydrates to fulfill the body’s needs. When your dog gets old, its calorie requirement reduces. Lower protein and high vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, and calcium foods are required to feed for maintaining bone density as well as coat quality.
4. Breed Size
The dog sizes vary according to different types of breeds. The food requirements are also different for them. The small-sized dog breeds have a better metabolic system than large-sized breeds.
Small breeds require more meals that are rich in all types of nutrients. On the other hand, large breeds need heavy meals with more protein. You should monitor the weight of your dog, so that you can maintain it consistently to avoid many diseases like diabetes and arthritis.
5. Wet Or Dry
You can feed your dog with wet or dry food. The preference for dry or wet food differs from every dog. It is recommended to keep switching different types of food to provide benefits of every food to your dog.
Wet food hydrates dogs if the water intake is low, and while on the other hand, dry foods have higher nutrient contents than wet food. So, you need to keep shuffling according to the mood and taste of your dog.
⇒ Check out my posts on the 14 Best Natural Dog Food, 10 Best Wet Dog Foods, 15 Best Senior Dog Foods, 15 Best Grain Free Dog Foods, 20 Best Treats for Dogs, 15 Best Food for Small Dogs, 14 Best Dog Food for Puppies, 15 Best Dog Food for Allergies, 15 Best Cheap Dog Foods, 16 Best Raw Dog Foods, 10 High Fiber Dog Foods and 10 Best Dog Food for Huskies.
6. Food Allergies
It is necessary to get your dog tested by a veterinarian for any food allergies. Some dogs have a common food allergy, which is associated with carbohydrates. In such cases, you need to substitute the food containing wheat, barley, soy, beans, rice, oats, and corn with others. You can also buy grain-free meals that are available in the market.
7. Expiration Date
The packaging of dog food has an expiry date that you should consider before buying it. Dog food comes with some health limitations related to food quality and use. Your dog needs to consume the food faster if it has a shorter shelf life. You should look for labels like “best before” or “use by date” to understand the product’s shelf life.
Some high brands provide better packaging for dog food. The packaging should be BPA-free, made up of high-quality plastic pouches, portable, long shelf life, etc., so that it keeps the high-quality food safely.
8. Determine The Feeding Time
It is also one of the essential factors to choose the right dog food. You must know your dog’s dietary needs so that you can determine the correct feeding time of your dog.
Dog foods like organic, high-protein, all-meat, gluten-free, and raw, etc., are available in the market. If your dog has a digestion problem, then you can set a feeding schedule by using reminders. It is extremely important to provide water and food to your dog timely.
9. Easy To Digest
You need to understand the digestibility traits of your dog. If the nutrients in the dog food are fulfilling your dog’s needs, it’s time to buy new dog food. You can easily understand the good and bad by the experience of your dog in passing stools. You can know whether it can digest the food or not.
5 FAQs on Food for Puppies
1. What Quantity Of Food Should I Serve To My Young Dog?
The food quantity depends on the dog breed and age. If you have a large breed, then you have to feed more dog food as compared to a small breed.
There are different needs for every dog. Every dog food contains a different quantity of calories per cup. One can check the food package to check the feeding quantity and time. You need to adjust the quantity to maintain the weight of your puppy.
2. Is It Possible To Feed A Puppy Food Regularly To My Dog?
If you have a growing puppy, then you should feed the puppy food from 6 to 12 weeks. It is a special diet that is formulated to meet the nutritional needs for growth and development of the puppy.
It is essential to feed dog food to growing puppies, as it is important to provide all nutrients for its overall growth. The large breeds need unmoistened dry food for 9 to 10 weeks, and on the other hand, small dogs need dog food for 12 to 13 weeks.
3. What Is The Right Time For A Puppy To Eat Dry Food?
Are you confused that your puppy is old enough to eat dry puppy food? Most of the puppies are not fully weaned until they become six to eight weeks old. In the initial weeks, your puppy may not be interested in eating dry food. When he gets three to four weeks older, then, it can eat solid foods.
4. How Many Times Should A Puppy Eat In A Day?
It is required to feed your puppies three to four times a day. Currently, if you are feeding ¾ a cup of puppy food two times a day, then you should feed ½ a cup three times a day. It is easy for the puppies to digest small meals. On the other hand, the energy levels do not go up and down due to frequent meals.
5. Is There Any Need to Add Water to Puppy’s Dry Food?
If your pet has a digestion problem, then you can add some water to its food, so that it helps in stimulating its appetite. After adding water in the dry dog food, the kibble expands and releases its aroma. It increases the interest of your pet. Some pets prefer wet food to eat as compared to dry, but you can add water to solve the issue.
Best Dog Foods For Puppies – The Bottom Line
Nowadays, people are so much interested in adopting dogs. They love and care for puppies like human babies. It is necessary to take care of the food and diet of puppies for the dog’s proper development and growth. The diet must contain all types of nutrients that fulfill all the needs of the dog.
⇒ Check out my posts on getting out and about with your pampered pooch. 15 Best No Escape Harnesses for Dogs, 15 Best Retractable Dog Leashes, 40 Best Dog Boots, 19 Best Dog Training Collars, Best Dog GPS Trackers, Best Harness for Small Dogs and Best Dog Harness.
There are different dog breeds with varying requirements of food and allergies. It is necessary to recommend the right dog food by your veterinarian and serve the right food in the right amount to your puppy. Otherwise, your dog will not grow and become strong.