WTFWTF Wednesday: What The Fuck? Way Too Fat edition.

10 Feb

12631386_10207512319240565_3124800479279223919_n

Seriously. Look at that poor dog.   It astounds us (not really, because people are the worst) that someone could actually look at that dog and think it’s cute.  It all just pisses us off.  The owner pisses us off.  The people who defend this dog and proclaim he’s just “chubby” or “sturdy” piss us off.   Sorry to break it to you people, but  Pugs don’t have to be morbidly obese.   It shouldn’t be shocking when you run into a trim Pug, and yet…it is.

Look closer.  That fatty nose roll practically blocks his nostrils.  Because, you know, Pugs don’t already have enough breathing issues.  With the nose-obscuring fat roll and the copious layers of blubber, it’s a wonder this dog is still alive or functional at all.  We can’t imagine that he will be around much longer if his owner doesn’t do something about it.   There is such a thing as “loving” your dog to death, and unfortunately this is the latest poster child.  Make it stop.

12650839_10207512319960583_1401557903101929806_n

“Help me”

17 Responses to “WTFWTF Wednesday: What The Fuck? Way Too Fat edition.”

1. Kara February 10, 2016 at 8:40 pm #

Jesus tapdancing Christ. It looks like a Star Wars cantina creature.

2. perfectpanicky February 10, 2016 at 8:47 pm #

Poor pup. Makes me want to treat it to an oxygen tube. 😦

3. banglesau February 10, 2016 at 9:12 pm #

If you want a dog with wrinkles, get a Shar Pei… no wait…. that person should not have a dog…. period.

When I had to leave my dogs in extended foster boarding (I could not bring them with me to the USA for 18 months) I handed them over with instructions “Don’t feed them too much” I even gave them a measuring cup so they knew how much was enough.

So you can imagine my horror when I got them back and they were not just a little chubby, they were fat, so very fat 😦 The weight came off easily with the correct amount of food and regular walks, so I cannot imagine how much food these people were giving my dogs, since they were walking and playing with them every day. My vet told me “they are a bit overweight’ when I took them to the vet on return, and I surprised him by saying ” A bit? They are very overweight.” (The vet is used to fighting owners who ‘love’ theri dogs too much with food) When I returned for vaccinations the next year, my larger dog jumped up of the scales and the vet tech was surprised, “Gypsy has lost 10kg in the last year” they were worried that there might be something wrong with her, but I told him, “Yes, because I have been feeding her right and walking her, she is now back to the weight she was before I left” I was right. The vet was very happy that I had gotten them back to a healthy weight for their type.

4. Rachel February 10, 2016 at 9:29 pm #

And what drives me bat shit crazy…general public people will see that dog, and say “oh, how cute, he snorts!” and then they’ll look at my raw fed (1.5lbs of meat every day), 36lb, 20″ tall puppy, and threaten to call animal control, because he must be starving, you can see his ribs!

• lydiaG February 10, 2016 at 9:43 pm #

I work at a shelter. When I was discussing instructions with a new adopter, she looked at the dog she was adopting (who was in amazing shape- drool worthy muscling, perfect weight) and stated that she would be putting weight on him first thing because he was so skinny… I watched her eyes glaze over as I tried to explain what was a good weight.

• Theresa February 11, 2016 at 9:06 pm #

Ugh, :/

• Sol February 11, 2016 at 1:15 am #

Dear lord, people can be so fucking stupid.

5. Julia February 11, 2016 at 12:14 am #

I have Weims so I hear all the time about how they’re too skinny and their ribs are showing. My dogs are totally buff and in perfect condition. The last few ribs showing on an active sporting breed isn’t a bad thing…. they clearly do a LOT of running! I read somewhere “If your neighbour thinks your dog is too skinny is probably about the right weight.”

6. Kristi February 11, 2016 at 12:35 am #

I currently have 2 foster shelties who were literally footstools when they were surrendered to rescue. They are 14″ and 15″ tall, so they are normal height for a sheltie. One weighed 56 pounds, the other was 43 when I got them back in October. Now after 3 solid months of measured food and exercise, they are each down over 20 pounds. They are still overweight, but they can now run and play – when they came to rescue, they could barely get their fat butts off the ground to stand up, much less jump on the couch! Overfeeding is abuse as much as underfeeding. People need to realize that.

7. wkmtca February 11, 2016 at 1:17 am #

i had the same argument on a breed ‘pet’ list i was on. i was finally kicked off because i said once too many times that the people the dogs were coming from were puppy mills. oh, the horror.. yeah, fuck them.

8. Beth Adams February 11, 2016 at 1:35 am #

I had a foster dog who came to me so fat that she had to lay on her back with all 4 legs up in the air (think Animal House) to sleep. Another had a collapsing trachea because of her weight. Needless to say they didn’t go to their adoptive homes like that – and I didn’t have to do anything to make them drop it.

9. agamersarchive February 11, 2016 at 2:53 am #

Okay… but where’s the dog? I only see a blob of physical mass in those pictures.

It completely astounds me that so many people not only find this type of thing acceptable, but cute. Because overfeeding a dog until it can’t even breathe or walk on its own without immense pain because of all the excess weight is totally adorbs!

Gag me now, please.

I’ve also definitely run into people who assume I’m starving my Pug x Chihuahua mix… because I don’t have to roll him when we go for hikes.

10. Rae Hughes February 11, 2016 at 5:17 am #

And the # of ignorant morons who look at my correct working weight labs and yell about Pit bulls ’cause labs can’t be that thin!!!! Their reason – he has a wide flat head!!!! He is a breed standard English Yellow lab at working weight!

11. ProudK911 February 11, 2016 at 6:09 am #

Dear Lord,
    Please help that poor morbidly obese dog!” Amen
    How many times I whisper that under my breath at work… And how often people call my 23″ 57# GSD service dog a “growing puppy in a skinny stage” makes me want to shake people just, well, a LOT! She is a CORRECT sized show weight buff bitch! There has been about a handful of people who recognized her correctness- sadly, one with a GSD male who passed her up in height (and weight but his owner does have him nice & trim!)… And wishes her boy was correct in size too. His oversized rapid growth just cost her $4500 in orthopedic surgery because his ulna & radius couldn’t grow fast enough and evenly… Orthopedic surgery to make them equal again and 10 weeks in a leg halo. Hard way to learn a lesson about purchasing an oversized dog!
    It never ceases to flatten me that people have NO clue how to feed their dog. I ask, (as we are looking at their morbidly obese mound of fat & flesh), “how much do you feed your dog?” “Oh, only 2 cups twice a day”. I then say, “oh? Is this the size of your cup?” While pulling out a 1 cup measuring cup… Oh no, it’s about 3-4 times that size. Seriously?!?!?!? No wonder they should weigh 40% of what they do! Fools don’t even know that the “X cups” on the damned bag means MEASURING CUPS! SMH, I just don’t know what to even say about that! Or… To the owner of many (too many) grossly obese 20# dog in a 45# bod dog after being shown the measuring cup: “well, X doesn’t really seem to be losing any weight. What’s going on?” No, no treats, etc… “I’m only feeding them what the bag says to and I’m even using the measuring cup now” I hear… “I can’t understand why they’re not loosing (and sometimes gaining!) weight.” Hmmm… Must be that you’re feeding your 20# ideal weight dog for the 45# they are, not what they’re supposed to get! People are just stupid. I guess so anyhow.
    Must be because my dogs look “anorexic” or “starved” that they don’t suffer hip dysplasia, breathing/heart problems and can walk & run & jump in my car until they’re geriatric too. I’m so cruel to them that they don’t look like snowmen- pin heads on a round body! And then I just gotta cringe and take a good guess on surgical drugs when they’re having surgery to remove all the fatty tumors on them… Hmmm wonder why they got those?!?
    And why is it most ALL pugs (unless they have cancer) are obese?!? Even the ones in the breed show ring are overweight for the most part! Like they get rewarded for being “thick”!
    As for today’s blog poster child? He looks miserable and embarrassed his picture is on FB, looking like he’s saying, “please starve me with about 1/4 cup of food per day for about 6 months so I can do something other then sit here while I put effort into breathing. Lifting my leg to pee would be superb if I knew I wouldn’t blow out my othe ACL to do it.” Good thing you ladies are so sensible as to block the poster’s name to keep all of us from flaming that owner!
    And to all my fellow commenters– great job for your “skinny” dogs! Most people don’t know what a BSC = 5/9 was if it jumped up and bit their noses off! At least SOMEONE else knows! (Even my veterinarians’ dog is 30% overweight, at least… :but at least it is admitted to…
    :(. Really want to share this photo with the words “this is NOT cute, it’s abuse!”

12. Jan Williams February 11, 2016 at 3:44 pm #

I’m sure there was a lot of high fat, sugary people food stuffed into this unfortunate dog.

13. Steven Litt February 13, 2016 at 5:22 pm #

Food is not love! Food is fuel. Don’t light a match next to this Pug!

14. Wendy Rodriguez, NCMG March 21, 2016 at 3:32 pm #

I’m a professional groomer that has these conversations with clients on a daily basis. First of all, they’re always astonished that I think their obese dog is overweight. Secondly, they can’t understand why their dog isn’t losing weight since they started walking them (a 15 minute sloooow stroll up the street twice a week), and they only feed them a “few” treats several times a day on top of their huge meals.
    It’s all so simple, folks:

1) Cut his food in HALF. You see, he’s gaining weight on whatever amount you’re feeding him now. If you cut out a quarter of that, he won’t gain any more, but he certainly won’t lose it, either. So if you cut it in half, he’ll finally LOSE all those pounds you’ve worked so hard to pack on him so he can barely move. THEN once he’s down to the weight he *should* be, you can add 1/4 of his food back to keep him there. Simple as that.

2) Get your dog on a *really* good dog food. Do NOT supplement it with chicken/gravy/leftovers/cream because he doesn’t like it and refuses to eat. And stop freaking out if he doesn’t eat at first when for the first time EVER you’re not bending to his demands to be fed highly-caloric crap every day. If he’s TRULY hungry, he’ll eat the nutritionally-balanced dog kibble!

3) Resist the temptation to stuff him full of green beans, carrots, and tons of other veggies because he’s so “hungry” while finally losing all that weight. Just like with humans, he’ll have to learn the new correct portion control and let his stomach shrink after being over-stuffed for years. That process is hindered greatly when you keep feeding him to satisfy the constant eating habit.

4) Remember that most dogs beg for food because that’s what YOU taught him is okay. They’re not hungry for FOOD, they’re hungry for your attention and affection! So instead of feeding them more than their correct *small* twice-a-day kibble (or raw) meals, throw a ball for them to run after, or play tug-of-war with them, or teach them a new trick every time they want your attention instead! WIN-WIN.