WTF Wednesday: Click and Treat

30 Jul

Bling bling

Ta daaaaaaa

Fierce

Don’t get us wrong, we like sparkles as much as the next girl, but on a clicker, really?  Isn’t the whole idea of clickers is that they supposed to be easy to hold and use?  Pretty sure bedazzling the crap out of it doesn’t make it any more practical.  It does, however, make you look like a Toddlers & Tiaras reject, which is saying a lot since we all know the quality of those klassy (yes, with a K) individuals on the show.
Plus, if you’re like us, you lose clickers faster than you can buy them.   Losing one you paid $60 for (seriously, that is the going rate on Etsy) is a lot more painful than losing a handful of free ones you picked up at various shows, seminars, etc.

So, would you pay $60 for one of these babies?

12 Responses to “WTF Wednesday: Click and Treat”

1. Diane July 30, 2015 at 2:36 am #

Heel, no! Er . . . I mean, hell no!

2. KDKH July 30, 2015 at 2:47 am #

Ah, no. Couldn’t make me.

3. Lynn July 30, 2015 at 3:04 am #

I want my dog to listen for the “click”, not be blinded by the source of the sound. 😉

4. Shearaha July 30, 2015 at 3:49 am #

I have a client that I gave a clicker to. Next visit I was nearly blinded when she pulled it out. She had bedazzled it herself.

• Theresa B. July 30, 2015 at 5:10 am #

Ha, ha! Shearaha . … At least she did it herself.

5. ProudK911 July 30, 2015 at 10:07 am #

I wonder if all those pointy jewels hurt one’s palm/fingers when you push to click?
    Time for some good old fashioned love and praise for rewarding s job well done, no? Though I understand the clicker as a behavior marker, I always thought it so absurd to objectify oneself, their dog, and the relationship to put praise in a clicker rather than having cohesive communication…
    Must go pet my dogs now and tell them how good they are. Makes so much sense (to me) to build companionship through love – but then who am I? The poor dog who gets click-treated to death by the owner who just has to show these kl-assy objects off to everyone who can’t help being blinded by this gadget! But my household is a bunch of “skinny” (thank you body dysmorphic syndrome- we’re all 5/9 on our BSCs) fat police who would rather give & receive love and praise than be force-fed…

• megangiselle July 31, 2015 at 1:45 am #

Whut? Mmm, asshat.

• megangiselle July 31, 2015 at 1:45 am #

Whut? Mmmm, asshat.

• Jackal July 31, 2015 at 9:46 pm #

Based on your observation you are seriously misunderstanding the purpose of the clicker no matter how absurd this particular monstrosity is.

It’s a marker, nothing more. It has advantages in that it’s possible to click faster than you can otherwise mark small segments of behaviour when you’re building up to something. It’s also a very distinctive sound that can clearly signal “yes” to a dog who has trouble processing the variations in tone and speed at which a human might otherwise praise.

Please don’t assume that the clicker takes the place of praise, or that everyone who uses the clicker relies exclusively on treats or overfeeds their dogs. My two are working weight (read: skinny to the inexperienced eye), and we use a lot of rewards besides food (praise, play, toys, etc.) and other markers in training but for shaping some behaviours I find it’s faster to use the clicker. The real crime here (apart from questionable taste) is turning something into a glittery toy that is only questionably functional because how do you hold and click that?

6. dirtartful July 30, 2015 at 10:46 am #

Of course, it would be amazing as a necklace! Show everyone I am a dog trainer with such classy jewelry.

7. Jan Williams July 30, 2015 at 6:50 pm #

Do they have matching blingy collars for the $60 price tag?

8. Heather August 7, 2015 at 8:51 pm #

Lol incould ‘t tell what it was. I thought the first photos were flasks At first