WTF Wednesday

21 May

980x

You know the annoying dog hair that gets all over your clothes and furniture and into your food and makes you question why you got a dog in the first place?  Apparently now you can make good use of it by having a dog hair sweater made.

Given how much time we spend trying (to no avail) to look like we haven’t just rolled around in a giant pile of dog hair, we aren’t sure how we feel about these. On the one hand, maybe wearing an actual sweater made of your dog’s hair is the best way to stop all the nasty comments from non-dog owners about how fur-covered you are.  On the other hand, it might be a sign that you have just given up on ever trying to look nice.

We’re all about bonding with your dogs, but this may be taking it a bit too far.What do you think? Would you wear your dog’s fur as a sweater? Would you still be our friends if we did? Let us know!

**Feeling inspired?  You can buy a handy dandy book here or follow the simple directions here. **

11 Responses to “WTF Wednesday”

1. KDKH May 21, 2015 at 1:50 am #

I would love to do that, but I have non-shedding dogs. However, we could let their hair grow really long and then cut it and knit with it! Actually, it is hard to do with dog hair alone. We’ve felted with it, but for fine hair (poodle, retriever, etc.) you really have to mix it with sheep wool to work. So the answer is — good idea, but loses something in the execution. Have at it!

2. blanksoda May 21, 2015 at 2:10 am #

I needle felt my dog’s undercoat. The fur from along his flanks and thighs is very fine and soft and creates and interesting texture for a top layer. It wouldn’t make good clothes though, it’s too short so I’d be horribly itchy.

Though I used to have a cat with very long and fine fur and I thought about for a long time spinning that into yarn. I never did and I regret it now that he’s gone. But I’m sure dog’s with similar coats like Collies and Windhounds and plush coated GSDs would make excellent yarn. You could probably make a bucket load knitting/crocheting it as well… Any groomers willing to sell me their excess fluff? xD

Oh! There actually used to be a dog breed called the Salish Wool Dog that was bred specifically for their coats. They were sheered like sheep and blankets made from their coats were highly prized. They’re now extinct sadly.

3. Rosemary May 21, 2015 at 3:46 am #

So if you get caught in the rain, you wind up smelling like a wet dog?

4. Julia Carson May 21, 2015 at 9:31 am #

I save some of my dog’s undercoat and plan to have yarn made with it. (our breeder offers this as a service) I don’t knit, but I would love to have a scarf made with it. It would be so warm (she’s a northern breed) and a wonderful thing to have when the day comes that she is no longer with us.

5. xenasmom2015 May 21, 2015 at 12:20 pm #

I’m all kinds of canine co-dependent, but I draw the line at dog hair sweaters. I sleep in Dobe hair as it is. I swallow it, clean up after it, and occasionally pull it out of my bare feet (it has little barbs), but I wouldn’t actually wear it. Well, as in making it into an article of clothing wear it. I wear plenty of it as it is.

Still, the sweater thing just feels creepy. Like saying to your Sig O, “Look, Honey, I’m saving your hair for a sweater!” And then wondering why Honey just emptied the joint account and fled to Brazil.

6. Taryn May 21, 2015 at 3:11 pm #

I have corgis so there is an endless supply, that’s for sure. But even loving my dogs as I do, I draw the line at wearing clothes made from their fur.

7. jan May 21, 2015 at 3:59 pm #

I have thought about asking my groomer to save my dogs’ Poodle hair, but have not worked up the nerve to talk about wearing dog.

8. Mudpuppy Kees May 21, 2015 at 7:13 pm #

Keeshond fur makes fabulous yarn and beautiful knitted/crocheted items. It felts wonderfully, too. (Not so wonderful if it’s still ON the dog…must always remember to thoroughly brush before bathing!) The nature of kees fur is such that it doesn’t need to be mixed with any wool to create strong, soft yarn.

9. Susan May 21, 2015 at 11:50 pm #

No freaking way!! Although she looks great and the dogs are handsome….

10. Anne May 22, 2015 at 6:35 am #

It would be a leonberger in the title picture. And I have had people suggest it to us :p

11. AD May 29, 2015 at 5:12 pm #

Anyone read the amazon review of the person who shaved their dogs tail off because of the book? BAHAHAHAHA!