WTF Wednesday

30 Apr

Our opinion on Flexis is pretty well known, but we’ve stumbled upon perhaps the stupidest version of a flexi we’ve seen so far. That’s right. That’s a flexi attached under a bike seat. Take a moment and imagine the many ways that could go wrong. Did you imagine a toddler being clotheslined? How about severe whiplash when your dog runs on the wrong side of a tree? Oh, you saw a tripping jogger? All of those things (plus more) could happen in the same bike ride with one of these suckers. There’s no way to lock the device,  so your dog could be doing any number of things as you peddle along.  Have fun with that. Honestly, Clean Run, we expected better from you.

21 Responses to “WTF Wednesday”

1. Sam April 30, 2015 at 3:21 am #

25.5″ is 25.5 inches, not feet. If it were feet I would wholeheartedly agree with you! But it’s tough to clothesline a jogger with the dog firmly planted at your side. The safety of the biker if the dog sees a squirrel is a whole ‘nuther matter…

2. Lisa April 30, 2015 at 3:25 am #

ummmm. It’s 25.5 inches long. That’s 2 feet plus 1.5 inches. Not long enough for the mayhem you have in mind

3. Sarah Adams April 30, 2015 at 4:31 am #

The description on the Clean Run site states that it’s 25.5″ long, which would be just over 2 feet. Hard to imagine that causing any of those problems.

4. Cameron J. April 30, 2015 at 7:15 am #

I-I actually really like this. I mean I bike with my dog on a ten foot leash I have around my waist as I don’t like the permanence and size of all the usual hardware type set ups for dog biking, and the fact they don’t let the dog pull you (forward) either.

But with a regular leash you constantly have to mange the length the dog deems safe to run next to or in front of the bike so you don’t get tangled in the excess. As someone who bikes on narrow/rough trails sometimes and can’t let the dog off leash, this is amazing. If it works well it solves almost all my problems (Save letting the dog pull you.) as long as it’s durable; it would be nicer if there was some kind of rig on the handle bars to lock it (and I’d love it about half a foot longer) but jeez, I want this. Badly.

5. Taryn April 30, 2015 at 12:02 pm #

While this item only extends a short distance as mentioned in the other comments, I still can’t imagine having my dog tied to my bike! There is way too much potential for being taken down!

• seabrooksr April 30, 2015 at 1:55 pm #

I kind of think “Brilliant”, because it’s only just over two feet. Plus, if you regularly bike with your dog, you’d know it’s really not any safer if you’re holding the leash – there’s no way to drop the leash fast enough to prevent the dog from pulling you over even if you feel comfortable doing so, there’s no way to brace against your dog if he pulls, etc, . . . the potential for ‘take down” is exponential.

Anyone who regularly bikes with their dog knows only two things will keep them safe; 1) rigorous training for the dog, and 2) eagle eyes with constant focused attention for you.

The “Bike-Flexi” eliminates the need for neither, but would eliminates the awkwardness of trying to hold a leash and the handlebars at the same time. Heck, if it came with an “Emergency Release” button for, you know, unforeseeable accidents and true emergencies, it might be an even safer than a conventional leash.

But I admittedly like Flexi’s more than I should, despite the number of idiot-related Flexi accidents. I use a Flexi when I walk my ambling, well-trained older dog; I don’t see why people shouldn’t be able to provided they meet the minimum standards for use;
      1) The dog must greet strangers and strange dogs in a polite, friendly manner.
      2) The dog must not be overly reactive to distractions; the snarling dog behind the fence, the cat in the front yard, the kid on the skateboard, etc.
      2) They must be able to call their dog back to a controlled heel when encountering other foot traffic, and they must always do so.

It’s a leash, not rocket science. Every time I see or hear about a Flexi accident, I weep for the future of humanity.

• AD April 30, 2015 at 2:13 pm #

I too bike ride with my dog. With any of these bike attachments for your dog I’d love to see an emergency release button. I don’t like the thought of not being able to release him in an emergency. I hold the leash while I bike ride with him or more like just have it drooped over the handle bars and I hold the leash with the handles. I admit it’s not the absolute safest thing but so is many other things you do like driving your car. It takes a lot, a lot of training, before the bike and during. Lots of lots of practice working up to bigger distractions and obstacles, the dog MUST be under voice control.. and a helmet would help. And for me a big learning curve was learning when your dog really has to poop and not thinking you can pull them out of pooping. (the only bike accident I had)

6. Amy April 30, 2015 at 12:20 pm #

2 feet is plenty of space for some bad things to happen. This is one of the most asinine dog gadgets I’ve seen in a while. Putting the welfare of the unsuspecting public aside (since, who cares?) what happens when the dog sees a cat, etc. Biker would take a total digger! Yikes!

• AD May 1, 2015 at 1:57 pm #

What happens when a dog sees a cat? That’s why you TRAIN your dog!! And me personally I never bike ride without the dog on a prong collar. So that in the beginning if he did do anything that put our safety in jeopardy he received a very good correction. It’s called training.

• Graham Thomas May 12, 2015 at 1:21 pm #

Lol, training and prong collar in the same sentence. You’re cute when you’re drunk

• AD May 13, 2015 at 5:46 pm #

Okay Graham, do you bike ride with your dog? Every person I meet that says “oh I could never do that with my dog it’s too dangerous” are against any sort of corrections. And sorry if you are against every single reputable animal behaviorist.

• m hardee May 15, 2015 at 2:33 am #

Graham Thomas, the only people who say prong collars are bad are those who have never used one correctly or had a dog trained with one correctly. I repeat the word correctly because yes, there are some people who have dogs on prongs, who sadly do not use it correctly and thus the misuse/abuse. This kind of ignorance brings out the (training) Dog Snob in me something fierce. Please don’t assume a training tool is bad because it “looks” scary or whatever other uneducated misconception you’re assuming for the collar. I bet you “tried it out” on your arm or something and yanked it hard to make it “hurt like hell” because you used it completely wrong, which is never done by those who use it, again, correctly. I trained my previous lab on a prong, first with a skilled trainer and then by me (under guidance of skilled trainer). Dog was a large female, stubborn, smart, unruly and quite dog/food aggressive. I trained her through Advanced Obedience level (off leash everything) and Canine Good Citizen, she would heel, sit, stay etc. at distances and with all sorts of distractions off leash via voice or hand command. Ignored approaching dogs, cats, dropped food etc. on command. Happy girl LOVED going training every week. Eventually never needed prong in any situation. You think that’s impossible with a prong? Totally shows you know nothing about this highly effective and, yes, humane training method at ALL. Please educate yourself before you spout crap like that.

• AD May 18, 2015 at 7:28 pm #

m hardee: “like!” What I love is when people say prong collars are abusive and they have their dog in a nose leash or halti that the dog is desperately trying to get off. My dog never tried to get his prong collar off so desperately. Not like I’m saying halti’s are bad. They have their place. But look at the dog’s reaction objectively and tell me which tool the dog prefers.

7. Dave Musikoff April 30, 2015 at 8:52 pm #

OK, that bike-mounted Flexi takes stupidity and idiocy to a whole new level! Why on earth couldn’t its inventor see the problem with it?! And, what the devil ever happened to common sense, anyway?! Hand-held Flexi’s are bad enough, but this…?

8. sheltie1 April 30, 2015 at 11:14 pm #

I have use the walkie dog bike attachment and this looks almost as good. I would not have a problem with it other then you can run over the dog more easily when it is all leash and no solid part sticking out

9. Titus May 1, 2015 at 12:39 am #

There are actual bikejoring rigs that are a lot safer and more practical than a Flexi-anything.

10. Rena Barnett May 1, 2015 at 1:37 am #

Same company but better design – this is also made by Klein metal but offers a solid metal spring that also absorbs the shock from the dog: http://www.mightymitedoggear.com/dog-supplies/dog-bike-attachment-kleinmetall-dog-runner-dog-bicycle-jogging-attachment

• Rena Barnett May 1, 2015 at 2:57 pm #

would like to explain – the design you have up here is a more “advanced dog” design. The design I posted a link to is for a dog who is not used to running with a bike. Also, Please note that CR is not the manufacturer of this product.

11. Linda H May 1, 2015 at 2:25 am #

I used to bike with my dogs. I used a bike with back-pedal brakes so I wasn’t relying on hand-brakes to stop. I also set the seat low enough that I could put my toes on the ground. But the main trick was to hold the leash in my left hand, which was not on the handlebar. I controlled the bike with my right hand.. The left arm acts as a spring. I never got pulled over, even when a 90 lb Malamute took off after a cat, I didn’t like the Springer type rigs because the dog was often behind me, out of eyesight. The biggest danger was usually the sudden dead stop to take a dump :-). Also the rigs make you very wide, which doesn’t work well in a lot of situations. The way I did it allowed me to bring the dog in very close to pass joggers, dog-walkers, etc. I felt this method was safer than any rig I’ve seen, not to mention a lot cheaper.

12. Tern May 4, 2015 at 5:12 pm #

Though I usually agree with you, I’ve never understood exactly why you dislike Flexis so much. Yes, they can be misused, but they’re also great for some situations. I use the extra long ones all the time to let my yorkies run in the nearby college agricultural fields. I don’t want them off leash and have to constantly call them back from certain areas they shouldn’t be in. But the flexis give them plenty of room to run on the empty, wide paths, and they absolutely love it. Are flexis the problem, or is it just the way some people use them? I mean, I probably wouldn’t use one on a crowded path with a large, lunging dog. But I don’t think that means they’re universally awful.

13. Animal May 12, 2015 at 10:49 am #

You be telling us both, Maggie.