7 Jun

Time for more breed profiles!  This time each of us chose a breed that we love and not-so-secretly covet, but likely will never own for various reasons.  Sometimes being an adult and realizing our limitations sucks, right?  But alas, here are our “want but can’t have” breed profiles:

BusyBee–Rhodesian Ridgebacks

I’ve loved Rhodesian Ridgebacks as long as I can remember.  As much as I would love to have one, I’m woman enough to know that they are probably not the best match for me.  That being said, I still plan on ogling every Rhodie that crosses my path.

The Good

1) I’m pretty sure people universally agree that they are a gorgeous dog.  From their regal stature, their big brown eyes, to their muscular builds, a well-bred Rhodesian Ridgeback is a sight to behold.  Plus, let’s be honest, the ridge is pretty freaking cool.

Photo courtesy of Vanessa Macgill, Mikozi Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Photo courtesy of Vanessa Macgill, Mikozi Rhodesian Ridgebacks

2)  They are pretty much “wash and wear” dogs because of their short coats.  Their short, shiny coat was developed to withstand any climate and environment and developed to not hold odor.  You know what that means?  No wretched hound stank.  Praise sweet baby cheesus for that.

3)  Ridgebacks are fiercely loyal family members and bond very strongly with their people.  Owning a Ridgeback pretty much ensures that you will have a dog who wants to be touching you, whether it’s leaning against you or trapping you on the couch while playing “lap dog”.

If it fits, I sits! (Photo courtesy of Phil Miller)

If it fits, I sits! (Photo courtesy of Phil Miller)

The Bad

1) Although not necessarily a bad thing, I am not sure I would like the general aloofness of Ridgebacks around people other than their family.  I tend to be drawn to the more social butterfly type dogs and honestly, Mr. T’s eagerness to be everyone’s best friend is one of the things I love most about him.  Living in a big city, it’s nice to have a dog who thrives on the crowds of people rather than tolerates it or deigns it.  Obviously this natural aloofness can be mitigated in part by socialization, but I don’t know if a dog who is naturally wary of strangers is a good fit for me.

2)  They are a strong-willed dog breed and not for handlers who tend to be pushovers (read: me).  Naturally independent thinkers, Ridgebacks often have their own agenda and it’s not always in alignment with yours. It’s no coincidence that my friend who has owned Rhodesians for years has named his most recent two Stubborn and Stroppy.  With the right owner, these dogs can be amazing, but I’ve seen too many people completely at the mercy of their Rhodies, and I’m self-aware enough to know that I would likely be one of those people too.

Stroppy, Mr. T’s bestie doing his best circus poodle impression (photo courtesy of Adam Braun)

3) Most Ridgebacks are not fussy eaters and have cast-iron stomachs.  While this may sound like a good thing, I assure you, it’s not.  It means that they will attempt to eat anything that doesn’t eat them first. They are master counter-surfers and will hunt down every last morsel of food they can get to, even if that means chewing through jacket pockets to get to it.  Don’t let those big brown eyes fool you either, a Ridgeback always thinks it’s hungry.

Pure. Torture.  (PURE TORTURE (Photo courtesy of Corey Turner, Semper Fidelis Rhodesian Ridgebacks)

Pure. Torture. (Photo courtesy of Corey Turner, Semper Fidelis Rhodesian Ridgebacks)

The Ugly

1) Given my tendency to be annoyed by stupid people, I’m pretty sure I would tire quickly (like…immediately) of everyone and their mother with a slightly-reddish dog telling me that their dog is a Ridgeback mix.  Pro tip:  That thing that only appears on your dog’s back sometimes?  Yeah, those are hackles.  STFU.

h7E236EB3

Fang–Chinese Crested

What do Cattle Dogs, Malinois, Jack Russel Terriers and my ex-boyfriend have in common? They’re all assholes. That’s right. I have a type. I love the pushy, bossy, rule-creating and not afraid to back it up, tried and true, assholes*. So it surprises me, likely as much as it surprises you that my true toy-breed love is the Chinese Crested. I had never truly considered one until cuddling with one of these tiny naked alpacas and then it was love at second hug.

There may have been wine involved (Photo courtesy of Dee “Déjà vu One Hot Habanero”)

The Good

1) They are crazy smart. Helpful smart, not so much, but if you need to plot a cat burglary, these guys are in, and would probably ask to run the explosives.Our professional opinion is “For the love of God don’t let them”. While not a traditional performance breed, Cresteds can and do excel in agility and obedience.

I fetch.  What can you do, asshole?

I fetch. What can you do, asshole?

2) A wardrobe is a legitimate and necessary thing to spend money on and the options are absolutely hilarious and adorable.

3) Want to have a pun as a registered name? The Crested is your breed. You will hear more variations of nudity puns than you ever knew existed. The dirtier the better.

4) If you want a small dog who’s game for anything but isn’t a terrier, a Crestie could be your dog. These dogs are just plain fun. Entertainers by nature they want to interact with you and be your constant companions.

Surfs up, moondoggie!

Surfs up, moondoggie!

The Bad

1) You know how I said they were smart but not necessarily helpful? While they may not be evil geniuses they certainly know how to make their owners dance. From unstuffing couch cushions by way of zipper-opening skills, to escaping out of ex-pens and into an alleyway just because it seemed like a good idea at the time,a Crestie will keep you busy and not necessarily in the ways you expect.

2) One of the downsides to their lithe lean little bodies is their overall fragility. While they think they’re big and bad, they’re well, not. Bones can break and crazy falls from ridiculously high places they never shoulc have accessed in the first place are not unusual nor unheard of. As small dogs they’re also very very sensitive to minor weight changes. Three days of not-eating isn’t great for your Dane but it can mean massive weight-loss for your Crested.

I'm so broken

I’m so broken

3) Dislike the smell of sunscreen? Not overly fond of bathing your dogs? Then you don’t need this breed. Acne, sunburns and general contact allergies plague the breed. Their skin is a constant chore and it will never ever get easier.

Fun fact.  Cresteds tan.

Fun fact: Cresteds tan..

4) Puppymillers have begun to see the appeal of the little naked bastards. It will only continue to get harder to find well-bred healthy dogs.

The Ugly

1) A paragon of health the Crested really is not though compared to many equivalent toy breeds, they’re in much better shape. Eye, teeth and joint issues tend to be the big problems though about half are genetic recessives and can be tested for and bred away from. The others can be painful for both your dog and your wallet so be prepared to ask your breeder a metric fuckton of questions on not only the parents of the litter you’re interested in, but their parents parents and so on and so forth.

2)  The main reason I don’t have 40 cresteds and live in a shoe right now is that people are assholes. Every twatface on the street has some smartass comment or stupid questions while groping the dog and frankly, I can’t take that kind of human interaction on a daily basis. I can barely handle it with the more traditional looking dogs I have already. There are also the reactions of friends and relatives to think about. More than one owner has been surprised by the vehement dislike people have had for their new naked. While I have no problems cutting off people who have nothing pleasant to say about my dogs, other people may have some reservations on that front.

*My ex was only one of those things. Guess which one.

Potnoodle–Bull Terrier

I have a type when it comes to dogs. I can admit that. I like them lean, tall and elegant. Then there is my weakness… the Bull Terrier. I don’t care what color, I don’t care what size… I love them. I’m also smart enough to realize that special brand of bull headedness would probably drive me crazy. After all, the AKC standad says the BT is “best described as a three year old in a dog suit”. Still, Every single one I meet makes me want one even more.

Catfish, credit to Hannah Bauchat

The Good

1) The drive. Seriously, there are some awesome bull terriers out there doing some awesome things. Obedience, Agility, whatever. If you know how to motivate them, they can probably do it. (Jane Killion, anyone?)

Catfish, again. You guys should have sent us more BT photos. I’ve just resorted to stealing these. Credit to Hannah Bauchat.

2) LOOK AT IT. If you don’t want to squish that egg head, something is wrong with you. The awesome part?. The bull terrier is totally down with you squishing his face. They’re a full contact dog, for the most part. While they don’t always know their own strength, the BT is a pretty sturdy dog with a friendly temperament.

3) Another thing mentioned right in the AKC standard, they’re total clowns. I have poodles, so obviously I appreciate a good sense of humor in a dog and there’s something about a bull terrier that just exudes “Joke’s on you!” but you just can’t help laughing along. Do us a favor. Go to youtube and search “bull terrier hucklebutt”. It’s okay, we’ll wait. Is your day now 30% better? You’re welcome.

3 ½) I’m sort of obsessed with the weird way their legs just stick out of their body. I can’t describe it, I just love it.

The Bad (  It’s a really good thing we’ve moved on to the bad because I have totally talked myself in to a BT at this point)

1) Destruction. You may have noticed in those videos you were stuck watching for like an hour, bull terriers are sort of… extreme. They’re like… frat boys. They don’t really mean to destroy everything they come in contact with… it just sort of happens. The owner of the lovely Catfish above calls him a “Bull Terrorist” and it’s isn’t inaccurate.

Credit to Donna Darnell

Credit to Donna Darnell

2) You may have noticed I mentioned Jane Killion above. She trains and breeds some really lovely bull terriers. For those of you not familiar with her work, the title of her book is “When Pigs Fly: Training Success with Impossible Dogs”…. and there’s a reason for that. Bull terriers can be a bit pig headed but once you clue in to how they learn well… refer to above.

The Ugly

1) Same sex aggression. Like most Bully breeds, the BT can be SSA. That doesn’t mean all of them are, in fact a lot of them seem not to be but same sex aggression isn’t something you can really spot until the dog approaches maturity so it’s a bit of a toss up when buying a puppy. While this is less of a big deal to some people, it’s pretty much a deal breaker for me… for now.

**What breeds do you love but can’t have?  Share below!**

52 Responses to “Dog Breeds IV: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly e.g. I don’t need it but I want it anyway”

1. Mara June 7, 2014 at 3:50 am #

I’ve had Weimaraners for 20 years and shown in conformation, obedience and agility and done a little field work. I have a “thing” for Black and Tan Coonhounds. Would never have one, as they are further from a willing competition team-mate my Weims are. Plus the Hound voice, odor and wanderlust as they follow their nose–what am I thinking? But damn, those ears are amazing and those droopy eyes and jowls make me want to squash their faces.

• The Lady June 7, 2014 at 12:19 pm #

Yep, totally get the coonhound love!! *I* think they are incredible and it’s kinda fun trying to convince them they want to participate in a given activity. However, they are pretty much opposite as a Weim (which might be a nightmare dog for me) so yeah, not for everyone.

• loveabull February 11, 2015 at 7:19 pm #

I love Dogos and Dogues but my guys are just 60lbs each. If you take their strength and put that in a hundred pound dog body…realistically I don’t think I could handle that. Maybe an adult who was way easy going but you have to know your own physical limits. But my boy looks Dogo in a compact size and Dogue’s n them big drooly lips, such sweet faces.

2. Mountain Poodle June 7, 2014 at 4:00 am #

I have Standard Poodles (and now a Mini, too), but I’m obsessed with Frenchies! Someone brought me one for training and I totally fell in love. I’m not sure why they hold me in such thrall. I guess it is that a Frenchie is the complete antithesis of a Poodle: They are so uncomplicated… they are just pure fun.

Unfortunately, they don’t fit my lifestyle. They are not the kind of dog you can run up a mountain on an extended hike. Also, they don’t have good cold or heat tolerance. Sigh… Someday if I move to a city, I’m going to get one.

• Christal June 9, 2014 at 4:59 pm #

I recently adopted one from a rescue in Georgia. She was quite a change for me since I have always had toy breeds (Poms and Chis), but she is the best. She is the funniest girl, and she is so loving. She is my shadow. I have a more sedentary lifestyle, so she fits in great at my house.

3. Lynne Schoelles Dhondt June 7, 2014 at 4:19 am #

I have a list of dogs I would love to own. Bull terrier being one. I just love them. Also Afghan hounds. The people around the corner from us had two. I thought they were the most beautiful things ever. Great Dane, Mastiff, Newfoundland, King Charles Spaniel. The list goes on and on.

4. Dana June 7, 2014 at 4:31 am #

I LOVE beagles. However right now I live in an apartment (not sure my neighbors would appreciate the baying), spend my weekends hiking and camping, and prefer dog sports like flyball to tracking so my border collie mix fits me much better. I am so spoiled with an easily trained herding dog that I know the beagle would just frustrate me… but show me a beagle of any age and I melt and just need to squeeze it.

5. John Vanek June 7, 2014 at 4:45 am #

Can confirm: my cattle dog is an asshole.

• Rosemary June 7, 2014 at 5:49 am #

But they are absolutely brilliant assholes.

• John Vanek June 7, 2014 at 4:48 pm #

We call him the evil genius.

• Rebecca June 11, 2014 at 8:30 pm #

As is mine, though he is less of an asshole than most. We had to get him an actual, honest-to-god job to keep the asshole-nature to a minimum.

6. AnotherFatPrincess June 7, 2014 at 6:16 am #

Doberman.. My ultimate dream dog. I just love everything about them. My next door neighbour had them when I was growing up and That is where I developed my love affair.
    Unfortunately I’m lazy as hell and I would absolutely be a total failure as a Doby owner. This makes me sad, but it’s the truth.

7. Wendy June 7, 2014 at 7:38 am #

I have all my heart breeds (Crested, Chihuahua, Greyhound) but one day….English Setter. Such beautiful dogs. I think my childhood buddy, Seamus, has something to do with this! A gorgeous orange roan who loved kids. Pity I’m not keen on grooming 🙂 or drooling (Seamus didn’t drool but apparently some do)

8. Ridgie Lover June 7, 2014 at 9:51 am #

I am a RR lover through and through. Having bred other breeds (big and small) I would never turn back or choose another. My guys are the most loving, loyal, happy and outgoing besties I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. And whilst appropriate for the show ring, they have been bred to standard with improvement of the breed in mind. If the opportunity to love a Ridgie comes up take it!

9. Brandy June 7, 2014 at 10:14 am #

I have Beardies. And a whippet to lighten up the grooming occasionally. I find they’re a fabulous mix. Growing up we had Cairns, Doxies, Beagles, the random-bred ‘coon hound’ type, a Brittany, a GSD, a NewfieX and a host of other recycled dogs. Just can’t get my head around most toy breeds for some reason. Probably time to take one on just so I can say I have!

10. Lisa June 7, 2014 at 11:08 am #

My cattle dog is a total dick and she will smirk while doing her dick moves. But I love her to the moon and back anyway. Current obsession is…. the Corgi, I can’t get enough of their cute cartoon like faces and bubble butts. I’m hoping I get over this school girl crush soon.

11. Joan Harrigan June 7, 2014 at 11:59 am #

Pulilk. and a mini Bull Terrier. I have standard poodles and one Norwich Terrier, but I can dream. I once saw a mini bull romp through an obedience ring while an uber-serious Golden was between exercises. The bull terrier had a huge smile on his face, and I fell in love. Interviewing Puli people for a show dog magazine made me fall in love with that breed– I’m already expert at ruining a standard poodle show coat, so I can only imagine what I’d do with a breed that takes a day or so to dry!

12. Amy Mayer June 7, 2014 at 1:18 pm #

I have an Aussie and a Cattle Dog/Aussie, but I yearn for another Cattle Dog, unfortunately for me I am drawn to dogs that are smarter than me and active, meanwhile I am getting increasingly decrepit and lazy. But one can dream….

13. Kristy June 7, 2014 at 1:42 pm #

Irish setter (aka Big Red.) I was a Jim Kjelgaard fan as a child and this was my Dream Dog. Fortunately, I was also an Albert Payson Terhune fan and am now living my dream with two gorgeous Rough Collies. So no room for the Irish right now. You don’t see many of these … why? Are they difficult? Anybody here have one?

• doughts October 1, 2014 at 7:12 am #

They are incredibly hyper, and require lots and lots of exercise.

They also require a fair amount of grooming, and while they are excited and want to please you they are a little on the harder to train side.

14. Tamzin St. Claire Hart June 7, 2014 at 2:58 pm #

Spot on with the Ridgeback description! Dream dog … I’m jones-ing hard for a Whippet right now and possiibly a Schipperke but with adult 3 RR and a Puli in my house I’m at my limit for now.

15. Robin Gates June 7, 2014 at 3:33 pm #

If you love Bull Terriers but they are too big and burly for you then a Standard Manchester Terrier would be perfect. They remind me of a more elegant Bull Terrier in a lot of ways.

16. tvignogna June 7, 2014 at 3:55 pm #

I’ve been wanting a Poodle for a while now. I love their sense of humor and their athleticism.

Belgian Tervuren: I love their prance, the skinny beak that pokes under your skirt, and the intense stare. I love the BSDs, too, but suspect they will do me in.

Rottweiler: While the ones around here are freak shows of breeding (think skinny nose & small head), I love their personality. If I ever got one, I suspect I’d have to go to Germany to get one that looks decent.

Thanks to Potnoodle, I have a fondness for Powerpuff Cresteds. Cute little buggers, but too delicate for me.

• tvignogna June 7, 2014 at 3:56 pm #

*sigh* make that Powderpuff Cresteds……………

17. shelties! shelties! June 7, 2014 at 4:44 pm #

I dream of having an awesome, drivey, brilliant Malinois… but like BusyBee, I’m woman enough to know my limits. I’m pretty sure a Mal would see “sucker” written on my forehead and would gleefully take over from there.

18. Darcy June 7, 2014 at 4:54 pm #

Pugs! Most definitely Pugs… I love them. From their happy little Pug-grinning faces to their tiny, quick as lightening, Pug feet! They are just adorable. Smooshy, loveable and devoted. I always have to pet them when I see them. BUT, they can’t breathe! How could I ever have a dog that has trouble breathing? Summer heat? Exercise? Oh, but I love them so!

19. agilitycreatures June 7, 2014 at 5:18 pm #

Typically there are many breeds on my ‘would love but its never gonna happen’ list, but right now I’m failing to remember many! Ridgies are on mine too, as are greyhounds, working golden retrievers, rottweilers, JRTs, pyr sheps, chinese crested powderpuffs…I could go on lol. But deep down I know that realistically there are only two breeds I actually enjoy living with: Border collies and staffordshire bull terriers (of course I have both already, well kinda, I have half a stafford lol). There are qualities I love about most breeds, but really I want an active dog, willing to learn and have fun. Something that takes to the world with gusto, but is a cuddler and happy to chill at home too. The staffies have those boxes covered, and believe it or not, my BC can chill 😛
    The enthusiasm of breeds such a malinois or pyr sheps is appealing, but in reality I know I couldn’t handle their drive effectively, and I’m probably not a strong enough owner lol. And the smaller dogs, I sometimes like the idea of but really I like mine medium sized. Its hard to describe, I know what I want and I guess I’m somewhat scared to stray from the perfection I already know and adore in my own two breeds.

20. Hiliary June 7, 2014 at 6:07 pm #

I have english setters…but I LOVE bouviers and briards. They are too big for me and a little too protective for me. I love my setters outgoing personality, everyone is their friend.

21. paigeandspaniels June 7, 2014 at 6:09 pm #

I want an Old English Sheepdog soooooo bad. I know that right now though I don’t have the means to fully exercise one. Some day though, some day I’ll have a farm and a big old fluffy sheep dog.

22. Stephanie June 7, 2014 at 9:35 pm #

Not only do I have 3 bull terriers but one of them is from Jane Killion

23. sezwrites June 8, 2014 at 10:25 am #

Bull Terrier here. I fell in love with one when I was about 9 years old and I’ve adored them ever since. Every one that I meet just makes me want one even more. The sense of humour really appeals to me. But if a Labrador is pretty much my perfect breed then could I really cope with a Bull Terrier?

24. Lynn Cash June 8, 2014 at 3:03 pm #

Bull Terriers rule!!! I’ve had them since the early 90’s, and must say that once you have one, you’ll never change breeds again! BT’s aren’t for everyone however. It takes a person with strong will & a good sense of humor, to love & train this wonderful breed. They are people dogs, and love being with you 24/7. This is not a breed to be left alone as they tend to into everything! Crate training is a must! Like all terriers, they enjoy lots of activity. And true, the “huckle bucking” though historically funny can reek havoc in you’re home (move those priceless antiques out of their paths) for peace of mind! If the Standard BT is too much “dog” for you to handle, consider a Mini. Same personality & antics, just a smaller package. Just remember, these wonderful dogs are INSIDE pets! When left in backyards, they may developed serious skin problems…should YOU want to live outside??? Finally, KNOW YOU’RE BREEDER! Never buy a bull terrier from pet stores or news papers. Research the reputable breeders on the Bull Terrier Club Of America. Talk to breeders, know before you buy what you’re getting into.

25. Tern June 8, 2014 at 4:15 pm #

Norfolk terrier. You know, the ones they use the euphemism “game” to describe, when what they mean are “stubborn, hard-headed, fearless, prey-driven bundles of energy.” But with the nearest Norfolk breeder several states away and the cost beyond what I can pay, I’ll settling for loving my more easily-obtained terrier crew.

26. Diane June 8, 2014 at 6:03 pm #

Years ago at a dog show, a dog whose breed I wasn’t sure of caught my eye. I asked, and the owner said it was an Anatolian shepherd. Years later I got to talking with Anatolian owners at several benched events and I love them. However, the reason I switched from mastiffs to Irish wolfhounds is because I was really tired of dealing with a protective guard-type breed (some way too protective – read not safe among strangers) even though they came from good breeders etc. etc. And the only thing a wolfhound would possibly protect is the refrigerator. Which is exactly the way I like it. So Anatolians, being a guarding breed, are out, unfortunately. I also fell in love with a black Russian terrier who was a patient at the vet clinic I worked at. Until the owner said that one of the qualities they’re raised to do is bark. Being used to the relatively quiet wolfhounds (except for the 2 am singing) they’re out of the question too. Having thought about what I would have when I get too old to handle wolfhounds, I will probably have small dogs like salukis or pharaoh or Ibizan hounds.

27. The Daily Golden June 9, 2014 at 3:37 am #

I always wanted a greyhound, but I also want to live on a few acres of land, and they CAN NOT run free, so that will probably never happen. A german shepherd is another breed I adore. Gread post! PS..goldens rule 🙂

• houndsofgrey June 10, 2014 at 3:59 pm #

I have (and foster) greyhounds, and so do many of my friends, including ranchers. Greyhounds can absolutely run free, depending on your situation and acreage. While my cattle rancher and horse breeder friends who keep greys (they’re wonderful companions and bang-up coyote dogs) do have their property fenced, many others don’t and it works out just fine if you’ve got natural barriers and reliable recall. I wouldn’t let mine out because I live right on a road in Suburbia (and too near a highway to feel comfortable with anything less than a 6′ fence) but if I had Huge Tracks of Land…

• The Daily Golden June 10, 2014 at 6:04 pm #

Well this is great news. There is a rescue less than an hour from me that takes in retired racers. Norwich ON. You may have heard of them. Good to know there’s still hope! I just love their looks and personalities. (And lack of fur 😉

28. Kitten June 9, 2014 at 12:57 pm #

I have shelties and had a bunch of mutts, mostly ger shep-collie crosses… just love herding dogs. I might try a border collie next if I find a temperament that I like.

Dogs that are fun to dream about owning but maybe not such a good fit:

Toy fox terrier: BOING! on a leash. Fun and entertaining. Bonus points: kills rodents. Negative points: The terrier part

Small poodle: OMGCUTE and trainable. Bonus points: versatile in ways most people don’t think about (it’s very impressive to watch poodles herd sheep) Negative: grooming!

Bedlington terrier: too cute for words. Smart, trainable, lightweight and easy to lift. Bonus points: All those LambChop toys and puns.

Icelandic Sheepdog: great working dogs, trainable, cute. Like a sheltie, only stronger. Negatives: Make shelties look quiet

Malinois: Smart, trainable, fast, great work ethic; easy groom job. People you don’t want near will think twice about approaching… good bye, unwelcome door knockers! Bonus points: Don’t have to bend over to pet them, Negatives: Control freaks, off switch can be difficult to locate. Doubt they would love being in a house full of shelties

Kelpie or Australian cattle dog: Did I mention I like herding dogs? On the right piece of property (ie, not here), these breeds would be great on a farm.

29. tagliak June 9, 2014 at 1:05 pm #

Missed one!
    Thai Ridgeback: Their soul searching stare is so primitive and primal that you can practically smell the history. Downside: They’d probably eat you before they’d heel, and they would almost certainly eat any cats they encounter. Not a safe animal to own in a residential neighborhood.

30. pommom101690 June 9, 2014 at 5:09 pm #

I am absolutely in love with the look of a Neapolitan mastiff, but I know that I will never be able to have one. I have always had Pomeranians, and I currently have three poms, a long hair Chi, and a French Bulldog. The frenchie, Pandora, was a change for me. I can’t even imagine what it would be like to have one of these guys. I have also read articles about them and talked to people who have them, and they tell me the same thing you said about a Rhodie; they just don’t do well with strangers. I have also heard that it takes a very good breeder to breed one that isn’t neurotic.

I foster for a rescue, and we ended up with a Neapolitan mastiff and a Newfoundland. They were owner surrenders. The owners were very wealthy, and they had Moose and Winston shipped to the states from Europe. Moose was a brown mastiff instead of the tradtional blue grey, and Winston was black and white, instead of solid black like most Newfies. There is no telling what these people spent on these dogs. What did they do with them? They left to spend their entire lives in their backyard in the Alabama heat. Both of them had pretty extensive yeast infections all over their bodies. Winston’s fur was so matted,

During the weeks Moose was in foster care, we knew that he would likely never be adoptable. He didn’t do well with strangers, but had separation anxiety from his foster. This dog was a hot mess. but he was such a neat looking dog. Unfortunately, Moose bloated, and we were not able to save him.

Initially, I thought the way Moose acted was because of the life he had lived. After talking to many good Neo owners, they tell me most of them are like that.

While they are really handsome dogs, I don’t think I will ever be prepared for one of these guys.

31. Catherine Duke June 9, 2014 at 8:56 pm #

I have lusted after Bedlington terriers since I was about six years old and read “The Soul of the Silver Dog”. It took me twenty years to realize that I’m a lazy person who doesn’t get out much and I don’t need a beddie going apeshit with boredom in my home. I was really sad when that hit home.

I DO still follow the BT rescue group on Facebook, hoping that someday a nice senior beddie will slip into rescue looking for a quiet retirement home…it could happen!

32. Blueberry's human June 10, 2014 at 10:52 pm #

Redbone coonhound. Yes, I probably read “Where the Red Fern Grows” one too many times. But I know that where I live – the neighbors would not appreciate the baying and I’m not sure I could handle a dog that independent that thinks scents are more important than listening to me. I nearly pulled the trigger once – but thankfully, I met a Red bone through the rescue I was fostering for at the time and that dogs was simply gorgeous but standoffish enough that I realized that wouldn’t work out.

I am too much of a chicken to even own a full-blooded cattle dog so I stick with the cattle dog mixes. Still smarter than I am – but at least not quite as manic as some of the “real” cattle dogs I’ve met.

33. Paula June 12, 2014 at 3:20 am #

Scottish Deerhound. I have Aussies (I breed Aussies) and my house and schedule are full enough with this, but I just adore Deeries. They are stunning looking, quiet, sweet, minimal grooming. The downsides include the independent alloof nature of the sight hounds, the need for a good sprint every day which would not really be satisfied in my yard, and their short lives (though hounds that get to course regularly live longer). Anyway, wish I had a local Deerie to enjoy because I will never have one, as much as I love them.

• halla June 22, 2014 at 2:57 pm #

Maybe a Galgo? They come fuzzy, and are more greyhound or smaller sized. I have a greyhound that is the snuggliest dog I have ever encountered, his dream is to live in my lap. He likes a good run every week or couple days, but he’s only 3, I hear they get even more couch potatoish as they age (and if we aren’t on a walk, he is asleep. He’s even taken to laying down on walks). I think they live to around 10 or 12.

34. Rachel June 12, 2014 at 7:53 am #

The Bull Terrier seems a lot like my Rottie,he even managed to ram through a tiny cat door and breaks everything in his way as well. Although not all Rotts have the drive and energy he does so perhaps Bull Terriers are a breed or mix I should look at as well.

35. Rebecca West August 27, 2014 at 5:46 am #

My dream breed is a cocker spaniel, but after reading up on them from numerous sources, including breeders, I think that I am too lazy for one. I wouldn’t exercise them enough or brush the coat enough. Therefore, the one that I am will someday get when I have my own house and settled down(I am only 20), is a boxer. They are lazier and less grooming.

36. Thankana March 7, 2015 at 8:44 am #

We have a Puli, apart from more Pulis/k, I would love a Komondor. I just don’t think “I” have the temperament to suit them. I feel I would need to be a bit more Alpha and a lot more often if I had a Komondor and my husband is an absolute push over.

37. Bucky March 15, 2015 at 9:29 pm #

I’m hoping you guys do another of these dog breed profiles. Maybe “breeds a lot of people own but really shouldn’t”. Husky, weimereiner, and a few others come to mind.

38. soddinl March 24, 2015 at 3:26 pm #

Oh so many…SOooo so many. Currently I have a mare of an english bullmastiff. She’s a mare, demanding, huffy and has an independant streak a mile wide. Recall is a joke!

I’m absolutely utterly, heartwrenchingly smitten with pugs. But…a. they never turn up in rescue, if they do they’re snapped up immediately, EVEN if b. they have major health issues. I can’t afford the vets bills on those pesky, adorable smooshy faced gremlins.

I also adore staffordshire bull terriers, but I’m a lazy cow which suits my bullmastiff, it wouldn’t suit a staffy. And I have to work, considering they’re SO damn hyper attatched to their people, you’re NEVER allowed to go out of sight, then the staffy singing begins. Bless them.

39. Alli August 9, 2015 at 5:54 pm #

Malinois. Oh my god, those little snippy faces and prancy looks get me every time. My trainer has described them as coyotes on crack, and I know I’m not enough of a person to handle the drive and intelligence of this breed. I’ll stick with my Labradors, but maybe one day I can sneak one in (as long as I have a lifetime supply of 5-hour energy)

40. sandakat March 18, 2016 at 8:15 pm #

I would love to have a sighthound, especially a Borzoi, but they are just not a good fit. I need a dog that I can trust off leash on mountain trails in the summer and skiing in the winter. They are just not that dog. But I swoon whenever I see one.