Time to put on your listening caps (again): How to choose a reputable rescue

10 Feb

As a companion piece to our “how to choose the right breeder post”, here’s the promised follow-up on finding a good rescue*.  There are a shit ton of rescues out there.  Some are reputable. Some aren’t, even by a long shot. So how does one go about finding the right group, rescue or organization?  Here are some (hopefully) helpful things to look out for when looking for a reputable rescue.

1.  Reputation matters.  Trust us, word gets around in communities about different rescues and their credibility.  If one isn’t on the up and up, people in your area will know.  What does this mean?  Ask around.  Ask your veterinarian, other dog owners, local shelters (many have rescues they routinely work with), and local businesses.  A valid rescue is known and respected by it’s local community. Even a quick google search can yield good information, ranging from informal reviews from previous adopters to formal complaints on the BBB site.  If you either can’t find any information about a group at all, or are only finding disgruntled adopters, it’s probably time to look elsewhere.

I was looking for reviews, not rear views...I swear!

I was looking for reviews, not rear views…I swear!

2.  Although reputation matters, remember that just because a rescue has many followers or “likes” on Facebook does not mean they are legit. It may be that they stumbled into a particularly effective gimmick or went viral due to a particularly heart-tugging sob story.  It may also just mean they are savvy enough to manipulate people’s vulnerable soft spots for animals and their desire to save something.   Before you fall in love with that puppy in the internet browser window, there are many other things you should consider regarding the legitimacy of that particular rescue.

3. Rescues should have a formal screening and adoption process.  Are they asking you lots of questions?  Good.  Are they asking for references?  Even better.  Home visits are ideal, but not always possible.  Ultimately, rescues should care where their dogs go.  If a rescue is willing to just hand over a dog without meeting you, that should raise some red flags.  Once you’ve been approved for a dog, they should also have a formal adoption policy and a contract.  Part of this contract is that they should always take its adopted dogs back if the placement isn’t successful.

4. A good rescue will take  the time to know the animals in their care, and will disclose all  information (good and bad) to any potential adopter.  Any behavioral evaluation information should also be used to ensure that dogs and potential adopters are a good match.  If a rescue is willing to send home a hyperactive Jack Russell with housebound octogenerians, there’s a problem.

4. Credible rescues don’t skimp on the basics of health care. A good rescue will spay/neuter and vaccinate all their animals, probably chip, and provide all records to the adopter.  Rescues should also provide basic health check-ups to all animals in their care and disclose any illnesses or injuries to potential adopters.

6. Reputable rescues will never place a dog as a surprise to the intended adopter or place an animal as a gift. They will always involve you, the recipient, in the decision to adopt, the application process, and the selection of the dog itself.  Many reputable rescues will also require that all family members meet the potential adoptee, including current dogs to ensure that it will be a good match for everyone.  They should be invested in your success, and part of that success is knowing that the dog will be a good fit for everyone in the family.

Still a better surprise than a dog

Still a better surprise than a dog

7.  Good rescues are transparent. You should be allowed to tour a rescue’s care facilities if at all possible. A quick walk through will give you a sense of the overall hygiene and care given in the facility.  Not all rescues have actual dedicated space, but you should be able to visit the foster home the animal is living in and see how it is currently being raised.  If a rescue is not willing to let you visit their animals where they are currently being cared for, this should be a cause for concern.  Similarly, if you find that a rescue is dodging your questions or making you feel badly for asking for more information, this is a major red flag.  A good rescue has nothing to hide.

8.  Good rescues should not not spend their  time judging or lambasting shelters.  Rescues and shelters often operate on completely different principles (open vs. closed admission, for example) and villainizing the methods of another group does nothing to help the dogs.   Since they’re all theoretically on the same side, rescues should spend their time working with shelters to ensure the best possible outcomes for the dogs.

d42592dfb5cc1603cc969d5ad8f59d11-the-we-will-get-along-shirt

Does this come in size “animal welfare”?

9. Good rescues do not rely on emotional manipulation to find a new home for their animals.  If a rescue you are looking at relies on a myriad of sob stories to drive traffic to their website or their tragic tales routinely sound like a bad country song (“We need money because our truck died on the side of the road because a bad man burnt our house down and we have no family and now our dogs are starving, oooooooh”), we suggest looking the other way.   Similarly, guilt should never be used as an adoption tactic.  Getting a dog from a rescue is your choice, and if you feel like you are being strong-armed or guilted into it, please go find a rescue that is mindful of what a big decision this is and how a rushed or improper match can be detrimental to both you and the dog.

5202e63590d6fe68b1dfaf8d415dc5ce19e2a357029943d44cff63cb12b5cc2c

You’re beginning to sound like Taylor Swift

10. Checking on the rescue group’s registration status is an extra precaution you can take if you notice any red flags or if something just seems off. Reputable rescue organizations should want to be registered and licensed on the state level for both tax reasons and credibility. You can do a search on your state’s government website to find out if a rescue organization is in fact licensed.

11. Looking for a specific breed in rescue? Cut out the middleman and go straight to the breed club. Most clubs are very invested in preserving and protecting their breed at all stages and are usually in regular contact with breed-specific groups who can help direct you to the best contacts for breed rescue where you are. Also, if something goes wrong, the breed club of some breeds can make it very very difficult for less than credible rescues they’re associated with, so there’s some recourse.

Donald-Trump-Dog-Youre-Fired

12. If it looks like a puppy mill, acts like a puppy mill and smells like a puppy mill. It’s probably a puppymill. If they ask to meet you in a parking lot, run. If they tell you the dog has been abused because it’s scared of everything, run. If the rescue “adopts out” a worrying number of the bitches who’ve been pregnant with odd designer dog mixes in their *cough* puppymilling *Cough* rescue, run. If you are uncomfortable with the organization, just walk away. If something doesn’t seem right, go with your gut and take yourself and your checkbook out of there ASAP.

Bonus points if you can identify this human

Bonus points if you can identify this human

With so many dogs in need, you might find yourself wondering why it matters to find a good rescue.  Well, frankly when you get a dog from a less than credible rescue, you are encouraging them to keep operating in their current manner (unethical, irresponsible, etc), and wouldn’t you rather spend your money and time supporting rescues that truly do right by the dogs?   We would.  If you want to see rescues done the right** way, ask your fellow snobs and do your research.

*Because some people like to point out every exception and tell us what we’ve missed/overlooked, let us be upfront on this one.  We are talking about rescues in this post.  Not animal shelters or humane societies.  Although some of the same general principles may apply, many do not.  So please, don’t get into the merits of shelters vs. rescue because that isn’t the point of this post.  Got it?  Good.  Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

**Yes, there is more than one right way. Adapt, people.

31 Responses to “Time to put on your listening caps (again): How to choose a reputable rescue”

1. Janet Ledford February 11, 2014 at 12:03 am #

Very nice. Thank you.

2. Abby February 11, 2014 at 12:04 am #

I am a certified professional dog trainer who was paid by a rescue for one visit to the home to figure out where they were having problems and what can we do to keep the dog there. This was great for the family.

3. Deborah Workman February 11, 2014 at 12:17 am #

I agree with almost everything in the article. And our rescue does everything except invite potential adopters to the foster’s home in most cases. In this day and age, that can be risky business, especially for fosters living alone. We had a potential adopter come to a home and refuse to leave without the dog. He finally left, but it was a frightening moment. That made us aware of the potential dangers of bringing strangers into a home.

• KellyK February 12, 2014 at 1:48 pm #

Wow, I don’t blame you. If the rescue has its own facility, sure, they should let people see how the dogs are raised. Going into people’s homes is a very different thing.

Personally I wouldn’t have a problem inviting someone with an approved application to come visit a dog, especially if I’d met them and they seemed normal and sane, but I wouldn’t ever expect a rescue to do that as a matter of policy.

• AD December 24, 2014 at 4:02 pm #

I would be leery of that as a potential adopter. If I am going to go through a rescue that fosters instead of going to a shelter and picking any random cute dog in a cage, than that means I want to see, really know what that dog is like in a home environment since a dog can act very different in a home environment versus a shelter or meeting at a walmart parking lot. So you may be willing to bring the dog to my home but I might get more of a clue going to a fosters home, knocking on the door and the dog acts like cujo.

4. Elaine February 11, 2014 at 12:48 am #

One of the things that a rescue says around here is don’t adopt from the shelter adopt from us that saves two lives. I asked so if I adopt from you you pull pull two animals to replace it they said no just one. I said your math makes no sense the pet in your rescue is already safe I just cut out the middle man they had no more to say to me. They just used that to get people to adopt from them felt like blackmail to me.

• Susan Watson Prewitt February 22, 2014 at 12:46 am #

No, it does save 2 other dogs.
      You adopt dog #1, #2 moves into the rescue and it frees a space in the shelter for dog #3.

5. Doranna Durgin February 11, 2014 at 12:56 am #

One thing I’ve experienced around here–and I’m not sure where it fits into the grand scheme of what others consider a good rescue organization–is that some organizations have gotten beyond fussily intrusive with their new owner requirements and questionnaires.

I recently did some research for my sister’s first dog, downloading a number of owner applications (as well as fostering applications) to get a feel for local rescues. When I saw some of the questions I was so put off that I haven’t gone back for either reason. I doubt I would pass muster as either an owner or a foster (I have breeder dogs and I have an intact dog, just for starters) and I wouldn’t want to work with that attitude even if I did.

This on top of knowing that another friend of mine–an excellent, experienced home well-known in the community for her loving care of her animals–was only able to adopt a particular dog through the intervention of another friend who advised the rescue to get their collective heads out of their collective ass.

So my sister eventually acquired a well-matched breeder placement through friends, and now I’ve got a really bad taste in my mouth about these local rescues. I had no preconceived notions when I started looking, but…wow. Maybe some people would consider this to be good, but what I saw was a group of people who have thoroughly drunk their own Kool-Aid. I can only hope that this is an isolated thing rather than a trend.

PS I believe that is the horrifying “Honey Boo-Boo.”

• KarenJG February 23, 2014 at 6:36 pm #

There are rescues that will “adopt” (I call it sell) a dog to anybody who walks in with cash in hand. There are also rescues that are so – well, “picky” is the polite term – that their dogs rarely get adopted out. In my opinion, both qualify for the term “bad rescue,” because they both aren’t doing what’s best for the dog. I’ve been fostering for a local rescue for several years now, and of course I get a “vision” of what the ideal home for my foster dog might be. But it’s both stupid and unfair to be so inflexible about it that you refuse to see alternative “good homes” for what they are. I think only two of my fosters went to homes that exactly matched what I thought would be ideal… but you know what, the other 8 ended up in great homes anyway.

One note on the “fence/no fence” issue that somebody brought up. It really does depend on the dog. My current foster could go to either kind of home and be fine. But I’ve had fosters that I absolutely wouldn’t adopt out to a home without a fence, either because they were so timid or easily panicked that they couldn’t be caught if they got scared off the property, or because they’re so scent/prey/hunt oriented that they just wouldn’t stop if they were following a trial/chasing a critter.

I think the best, most important advice in the post above, is number one: find out what the reputation of the rescue is. If they’re known to be so “loose” in their standards that many of their dogs end up in horrible circumstances, steer clear. Likewise, if they’re known to be so inflexible that their dogs rarely get adopted, also steer clear.

6. septembermary February 11, 2014 at 1:56 am #

I’m kinda with you, Doranna Durgin. I would almost rather get a dog from a pet store than go through the b.s. involved in many of our local rescues –and there are a ton of rescues. (Please note the *almost*!)
    I’ve seen three people who would have given dogs good homes get rejected by our local rescue zealots. I can see where the rescues are coming from, but I’m no longer sympathetic. At some point you have to realize you can only do your best–you can’t guarantee a fairy-tale ending for the dog, no matter how high the fence is and how many references you get and how well the home visit goes.
    It seems to me that what’s really needed is not advice on what hoops to jump through to get a dog, but a simpler way to get one, whether a person is looking for a mutt or the next Westminster Ch.

7. Rosemary Hoffman February 11, 2014 at 2:14 am #

Great article. While being willing to take a dog back if circumstances chage is a great thing to look for, many rescuers understandably get burned out. Therefore an organization with several people involved who pace themselves has the best chance of being around in the future if you need them or are ready for another dog.

• Diane February 11, 2014 at 2:49 am #

Then there was the major rescue group for whom I fostered. They wanted us to write up fairly extensive reports about the dogs we fostered. I wrote my report, strongly recommending that the dog be adopted out to a family with prior dog experience, and that he shouldn’t be an only dog. So they, of course, give him to a totally inexperienced family with no other dogs. The wife was afraid of him (he was an absolute sweetheart) and he wound up back in foster care. I’m well aware of the keeping-your-foster trap, but he’s the one out of a dozen or so that I should have kept. I still regret it.

8. mssmss February 11, 2014 at 3:05 am #

Those who think rescue groups are too picky are free to go to their local animal shelter and rescue a dog themselves!

• Doranna Durgin February 11, 2014 at 5:20 am #

There are indeed many viable options for acquiring dogs, and I’m not the least bit concerned about the matter on my own account.

However, I don’t believe the adoption groups who drive away decent homes with zealousness are doing themselves or their dogs any true favors. Driving away decent foster homes, ditto–especially to judge by the frequent pleas for fosters I see in this area. Obviously YMMV, but I think it’s possible to find a good balanced approach.

• RowanVT February 11, 2014 at 5:36 am #

I hope the blog owners will forgive me for using felines as a counter example in this reply:

There is a local cat specific rescue that is, point blank, far too picky about who they adopt to. As a result, they have a ton of adult cats that came into the rescue as adorable kittens and are, subsequently, almost impossible now to place into a home. The head of the rescue seems more like a hoarder, but as a whole the rescue has a “good” reputation (or at least it did 5 years ago).

My brother attempted to adopt a truly sweet and truly homely kitten from them. He was going to be home for the majority of the day, he’s had prior cat experience, I was able to vouch for his ability to care for a cat and get it all necessary veterinary care (what with being a vet tech at the hospital the rescue brought all their animals to). But they wouldn’t adopt this kitten to him, because he didn’t have another cat for it to be friends with, and he didn’t want to get two kittens. My brother was wanting a cat to bond with, but apparently that was going to be cruel to this cat, or something, to be played with all day by a devoted human.

9. Kay February 11, 2014 at 5:27 am #

I agree with a few other posts about the stupidly ridiculous process of getting a dog from rescue. A friend of mine wanted to adopt a border collie and did hours of research to find the perfect one because she knew exactly what she wanted (keep in mind she is very experienced with the breed and dogs in general and is very responsible). She found one two states away and filled out an application thoroughly and sent an extra email with details. She was willing to visit and talk to them, even give a video house tour, they instantly turned her down because she wasn’t local. They were extremely rude and even stopped responding! It happened again a month or two later, found a dog she loved but was denied because she wasn’t local. What they seem to not understand is the perfect home is not always a few miles away. It has been nearly a year and one is STILL in rescue, the other just got adopted two months ago.

It’s not just that but I believe the ‘must have fence’ rule is bullshit as well. I have an Australian Shepherd and American Bully, both are very active and in prime, healthy condition but *GASP* I don’t have a fence! Why? It’s illegal where we live, right off of a shared large pond and I also lived in an apartment with my Bully for a year and didn’t even have my own yard. No fences and we are doing just fine, in fact they get MORE exercise than any fenced dog I know of! Fences give people a reason to throw their dog in the backyard for hours on end and call it ‘exercise’. A fence is only one form of containment and shouldn’t be make or break like rescues make it out to be. Dogs jump over fences, dig under, they break, and a fence doesn’t mean the dog has adequate room or exercise.

Those are only two examples but get my point across. Rescues usually have good intentions but when you make it so hard to adopt a dog that your turnover rate is next to nothing you should re-evaluate because more than likely you aren’t being realistic. I understand dogs have been abused and you want a fairy tale ending but be realistic because if you don’t that dog will be in rescue forever, which defeats the purpose.

• dalsrule February 11, 2014 at 6:53 am #

I totally understand why rescues insist on adopting locally. Consider this – several months down the road for whatever reason, the adopter decides to return the dog. At that point, they’re not willing to drive it back across two states, or three or even one. So, someone from the rescue has to take a (perhaps long!) road trip to pick up the dog. And if the adopter says I want this dog gone now! What then? Where does the dog go for safety in an area where the rescue doesn’t know anyone who could take him in temporarily while they organize a road trip to pick him up? Rescues don’t have the money or people to risk a crisis like that happening.

• KellyK February 11, 2014 at 6:14 pm #

That’s the point I was going to make too. The rescue I volunteer with does long-distance adoptions when someone in the rescue knows the adopter, but I don’t think we make a general practice of it, and there’s an extra charge if you’re more than 50 miles away (probably about enough to reimburse the person who does the home visit for gas).

There’s never any call to be rude to a potential adopter, though. (Wait, no, I’d be rude to Michael Vick if he wanted a dog from us, but other than that…)

• Marilyn D February 17, 2014 at 8:07 am #

Excellent point!

• KarenJG February 23, 2014 at 6:47 pm #

I have to reply to this too… exercise is never a good reason to not adopt a dog to a person without a fence. The “good” reason fpr not adopting to a home with an unfenced yard would be if they wouldn’t give them any OTHER outlet for their energy if they don’t have a fence. If the “good of the dog” requires that they have a lot of physical exercise to stay healthy and happy, a person who runs with a dog, takes the dog to a good doggie day care regularly, does agility or other dog sports, is just as good – and as you say, probably better – than a home that will rely on a fenced yard for the dog’s exercise.

And then there was the foster that I absolutely did NOT want to adopt to a home with a fenced yard. Because she could escape ANY fence, and I didn’t even want the possibility that they would ever just put the dog in the yard while they did something else, because inside of 20 minutes, that dog would be roaming the neighborhood in search of adventure.

• AD December 24, 2014 at 4:08 pm #

I never understood the whole “must have yard rule”, yards are for the owners convenience and has nothing to do with the dog. In fact if you don’t have a yard that must mean you have to actually WALK your dog which is far better for the dog anyway than being thrown out into a yard. I would probably never have a dog without a yard but that’s because I’m lazy and I love the fact that I can just open the door and let the dog do it’s business without me putting on shoes.

10. Mary February 11, 2014 at 3:26 pm #

Thanks, Dalsrule, you took the words right out of my mouth. It takes a minimum of 2-3 weeks to arrange a transport to get the dog to an adopter. Same holds true for a return. I know, I arrange rescue transports. As for the fence issue, I would look at each case individually; I’m certainly not going to place a dog with someone who doesn’t have a fence and who already lost 2 dogs: “oh, they wandered off” or who let a blind dog get hit by a car. The only rescues I’ve been associated with let the foster parent have the final word on placement after all the screening has been. You don’t have a unalienable right to adopt a dog from a rescue; if you don’t want to deal with the “BS” of a particular rescue and the questions involved, you can get a dog off Craig’s List, you can go to a local shelter, there are plenty of options available. What you consider “BS”, the next person may not. And under no circumstances will I let a stranger come to my home to meet a dog. I will be happy to bring the dog to their home after the screening has been completed; I’ll even bring the dog to a public location for someone to meet after they’ve filled out an app, but we haven’t processed it. My personal safety outweighs your right to see how the dog lives.

• Doranna Durgin February 11, 2014 at 8:18 pm #

No one has an unalienable right to acquire a dog in any given way, of course. But when enough adoption organizations have an elitist process that turns away or turns off good homes (or, as with me, eliminates volunteer interest in spite of a past history with fostering/placing dogs elsewhere), I’m not sure it’s serving the dogs. I’m not talking about filtering out problem homes, which is necessary. I’m talking about rejecting and/or alienating decent placements.

The breeder placement I referred to earlier (when, in fact, we did go somewhere else after we declined the adoption organization process) came with more information about the dog and her history and at less cost than the similar dogs available through area adoption organizations. But that’s most likely to be a choice made by a dog-educated household, or one who already has dog community ties.

The suggestion that good homes turn to craig’s list (or pet stores, or the guy with the cardboard box in the parking lot) surprises me. It seems as though that just supports puppy mills, thieves, and irresponsible breeding. It certainly doesn’t serve the families who might make these choices, but it becomes obvious to me that this isn’t a factor.

In a sort of amazing synchronicity, I’ve been considering the application to foster a special needs dog whom I happen to have the skills to help. I’m grateful to this conversation for further defining the factors that made me hesitate, which has made the decision easier.

11. Angie with ePITome Dog Rescue February 11, 2014 at 4:33 pm #

I really appreciate this article. Thank you for writing it!!
    Our rescue has built up slowly, doing things right, and cultivating a good reputation. However, I will say that we’ve had our share of people bad mouthing us primarily because we declined to adopt to them. We even had someone accuse us of being breeders (and not a real rescue) because we took in a supposedly pregnant pit bull to save her life and the lives of her “babies”. She turned out not to be pregnant and was heartworm positive to boot. We did the same for Panda that we do for every dog in our care. We got her healthy. She was treated for the heartworms, spayed, etc. and she is living happily ever after as a foster failure. The guy who accused us had not been approved to adopt because of his living situation. Months later, he was involved in some serious trouble with the law regarding drugs. Go figure.
    As far as comments about rescues being extreme with the approval process, I can speak for ours in that we always try to say yes to a potential adoption. However, if we find out information during the process that is absolutely against our beliefs in how our dogs (95% of the dogs we’ve rescue are pit bull type dogs) should be cared for, we will not approve the adoption. This is because of the well-being of the dog, and because what happens with each and every one of our rescue dogs will reflect on pit bull type dogs everywhere. We do not require a fenced yard, but we do ask how the adopters plan to give their dog exercise and potty breaks. We are foster home based, so that we can get to know the dogs well and help find the best fit for their forever homes. We are forever looking for foster homes, it’s tough to find them in our area. We’ve expanded, though, to having fosters in other areas and so far it’s working. We require that a potential adopter complete and submit and adoption application before we have the dog’s foster get in touch with them to set up a meet and greet. It’s up to the foster where they want to meet, and we do strongly trust our fosters to help us make the decision about whether or not the adoption will be a good one for their foster dog.
    So, it may be that not everyone thinks we are a good rescue, but we think not everyone should own a pit bull either. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

• Marilyn D February 17, 2014 at 8:24 am #

Bless you for being diligent with this particular breed. Reversing the horrors associated with the exploitation of the Pit breeds is going to take a long time and a strong and unyielding commitment from people who care as much as you do. Thank you.

12. Jennifer Robinson February 12, 2014 at 11:09 am #

Great article, and I mostly agree. My personal experiences with rescues, however, leave me wishing that so many of them weren’t so antagonistic to responsible breeders.

I’m what you might call a slow breeder. I like my line. I breed about once every four years to keep my line going and to keep what I regard as a balanced yard: a young dog, a middle aged and an oldie. My dogs live in the house with me. I health test, screen puppy buyers, and am picky in choosing stud dogs and generally check all the boxes.

I considered fostering with breed rescue groups and was told “no” . . . because I breed. I understand where they are coming from, but it hurts to be rejected.

13. Nora February 12, 2014 at 4:26 pm #

The rescue I volunteer with (Italian Greyhound Club of America Rescue) is affiliated with the breed club (as the name implies 😉 ). When the breed club is GOOD, and committed to rescue, this is a good thing. It provides a pool of funds to be able to care for the dogs that really need extra work beyond shots and altering. It makes it possible to transfer dogs between regions if necessary, and allow people in adjoining regions to adopt (I am in Ohio. One of my fosters went to Michigan, and another to Pennsylvania). Also, they consider applications on a case-by-case basis and try to educate without dumping applications for what many rescues consider red flags (like intact dogs in the house–yes, I have them).

My experience with rescues for my other breed (Shelties) has been significantly less positive–and the breed club is significantly less interested in rescue, it seems.

• Robbie February 15, 2014 at 7:47 pm #

A rescue organization is only as good as the people who run it, and having good intentions doesn’t mean you’re a good or stable person. An aquaintance of mine is right now being defamed on Facebook by a rescue basically because after contacting rescue to assist with rehoming her large breed dog ( following a change in relationship status and living conditions ) she was able to find a suitable home herself. The rescue used her full name and most certainly didn’t tell the whole story, as far as I can see only because the rescuer in question feels he/she is the only person who could possibly have found an appropriate placement. A little koo koo.

14. Jb February 19, 2014 at 12:44 am #

There’s a shelter / humane society in my area in western Oregon – a county/city shelter run by the humane society which also has its “own” shelter. I would say it’s borderline faux rescue because it tries to portray itself publicly as a non-kill shelter (but it isn’t) and far too many former volunteers have some rather horrifying stories to tell. I had to agree with the comment re the Jack Russell and the “octogenarians” as this is exactly what this so-called rescue organization tried to do recently. It even directed its employee who brings the dogs to local tv stations for “pet of the week” features to say that the young male JRT they were trying to rehome would be “ideal for an older quiet senior.” The reason the shelter employee gave for this “ideal match” was that the dog was “small.” Meanwhile the dog was energetically frisking around the tv studio doing what JRTs do which is being what many consider hyperactive. Definitely NOT the ideal dog for an “older quiet senior.” Currently we are trying to get this dog sprung from dog jail and placed with a JRT-knowledgeable foster.

15. AD December 24, 2014 at 4:18 pm #

If rescues are not shady than they are usually too picky. I know rescues that “save” dogs from the south (meanwhile plenty of dogs are being euthanized in northern shelters), then charge 300 bucks for a intact, no vet-checked dog. Seems a lot like selling to me. I’d much rather take my 300 bucks and put it towards spaying and neutering programs in the south. I tell people who complain about the pickiness to just go to a shelter. Especially large city shelters that put down dogs on a weekly basis, they hand dogs out like potato chips. And shelters (at least the ones around me) have really changed. I rescued my dog form my local animal control. The most depressing place you can ever step into. It was horrible, but they have a great foster program and an amazing pen pal program with volunteers who can not take the dogs into their homes so they just spend time with the dogs, take them to adoption events, get to know them outside a cage. These people are amazing. And the shelters don’t usually require a home check, and a 6 foot bulletproof fence. They are usually just thankful they don’t have to euthanize one more dog.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. PS I love you | Granny's Journal - February 12, 2014

[…] love The Dog Snobs!   They are dog smart and succinct and savvy enough to recognize the value of humour as a […]