WTF Wednesday: The Dogbrella Edition

5 Dec

Seriously?  It rains sometimes.  Or frequently, if you’re BusyBee and living in Seattle.  We understand rain gear for dogs, especially those with short coats, no coats, or long coats that need to be protected from the rain, but we just can’t get behind the leash umbrella.

It’s not a coincidence that many temperament tests utilize umbrellas as a novel object. Many  dogs are scared shitless of umbrellas, so yes, let’s strap one to the dog’s back and let the fun begin. Also, even if your dog isn’t afraid of the umbrella, that looks like possibly the most awkward walking arrangement ever. Either the dog is out in front and therefore not under the umbrella or the dog is close to you and you are constantly bumping in to it and being stabbed by the umbrella ribs. The third option, seen in the photograph above, isn’t exactly how we want to hold ourselves for several miles.

Our advice is invest in a raincoat, don’t be that weird recluse in the neighbourhood with a dog umbrella.

8 Responses to “WTF Wednesday: The Dogbrella Edition”

1. meg December 5, 2013 at 1:44 am #

This looks like a really great way to direct streams of water directly onto your dog.

2. Rachel December 5, 2013 at 3:56 am #

I very much Agree,even though I also live in Washington and the dogs I’ve had where not afraid of umbrellas. Instead the dogs get used to the rain and learn to walk and play in it without one. I’ve learned to go everywhere without one,so do my dogs.

3. flylillilena December 5, 2013 at 12:32 pm #

One of my dogs really hates the rain. She has a coat for the cold snowy winters in Munich and I am thinking about buying her a lighter one for rainy days. But she surely doesn’t need an umbrella! Once in a while when I am using one, both of my dogs tend to come very close to me occasionally and walk with me under my umbrella. I’m fine with that but I will surely not buy them their owns. Also they would have to stay on the leash for the whole walk. No, sorry, that is far too stupid. Most of the times, once they are really soaked, they just accept it and have fun in the rain. Even the one from southern Spain. 😉

4. Morgan December 5, 2013 at 12:44 pm #

My coworker has one. I couldn’t help my jaw dropping open when she told me. Allegedly it was the only solution to get wittle Precious to tinkle in the rain.

5. Bronwyn December 5, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

And we all enjoy walking our dogs in the rain in heels and pantyhose…

6. tarynft December 5, 2013 at 3:30 pm #

LOL! That’s why so many breeds come with “all-weather” coats! You can walk them in the rain au naturale 🙂

7. Katie December 31, 2013 at 3:26 am #

I just found something worse: http://ow.ly/saeFm

The Tangle Free Dual Dog Leash.

This is the patented leash that lets a pet owner walk two dogs without their lines becoming snarled. Twin retractable 10′ lengths of sturdy nylon cord are wound within a durable sealed plastic reel. The cords are fed through separate openings and the reel spins 360º (rather than you), preventing the lines from crossing and becoming tangled. The leash’s handgrip lets you easily control two canines (up to 30 lbs. each) with one hand, freeing your other hand to carry a cell phone or umbrella.

8. Simal September 30, 2015 at 10:58 am #

This dog umbrellas looks pretty good and will protect your dog. I was searching for a similar style dog umbrella. Finally got it thanks to your articles.
    For more details you can visit our website : http://essentialpaw.com/collections/dog-umbrellas