26 Nov

Every year the AKC comes out with statistics on the most popular breeds. For several years the Labrador has reigned supreme (Much to the chagrin of Labrador people in both the show and working divide) as the most commonly registered dog in the United States.

Popularity sucks.

Unsurprisingly, these statistics have very little to do with the realistic ownership pool, (e.g. people who really can handle the best and worst traits of the breed responsibly, provide adequate exercise and training, and not just let their dog run amok and terrorize the neighborhood).

Fluffy!! Stop chasing Mrs. Jones!

Every asshole we know with a dog they can’t or won’t manage put very little thought into their decision to own a dog let alone select an appropriate type, so we’re here to help. Before you get your dog, consider these factors, or we’ll mock you via inappropriate stick figure dramas.

He’s asking how we’ll kill him today.

1) Do you actually want a dog or do you want Lassie?

This is not your dog. Stop expecting your dog to be this dog.

We want you to brace yourselves. This may come as a shock. Dogs have individual personalities! We know. It surprised us too (It didn’t). While we’re glad your neighbors German Shepherd rescued a family of ducklings from being eaten by Kanye, and your childhood Collie didn’t eat your homework, but rather he did it better than you were able to, we can pretty much guarantee you that the puppy you picked from the litter is not that dog. Don’t get us wrong, there are certainly one in a million dogs (Heart dogs, usually) who know us better than we know ourselves. These dogs are made, and not born despite what everyone with their magic dog tells you.

2) What is your current energy level?

Are you a couch potato? A runner? Pro-tip, don’t get a dog made for who you are not. There is no shame in wanting to stay home and nap. If you want to sit in the house and do cross-words, get a Pug. A Border Collie will only bring you misery and bring the dog fatness and bad behavior.

Let’s be honest, you’re probably too lazy for this too.

3) Have you ever trained a dog before? To what level? No, be serious, what have you actually done?

Saying you want a high-drive full-speed dog is all well and good but if your current pets don’t even have manners, it’s like demanding to do a heart transplant after completing that 6th grade unit on “the human body”. It’s just a dumb idea. Some breeds are ‘trainers’ breeds and some breeds are ‘pet breeds’ and most breeds fall somewhere in the middle, and even individuals of breeds can be more or less intense. Aim for what you know you can handle now, not what you’d like to handle in the future.

"We've handled this dog really well.  Let's move on to a Chessie!" said no one ever.

“We’ve handled this dog really well. Let’s move on to a Chessie!” said no one ever.

4) Why do you want this breed?

If “because it’s cute” is your reasoning, just go away. Really, walk away. If you can’t give a comprehensive list including the potential (Or extremely likely, depending on how carefully you pick your dog) negatives, you’ve not done your research and you need to go back to the drawing board.

Mommy, why is the kitty in the teddy bear’s mouth?

5) How many have you met in person? How many breeders have you talked to?

If your answer is “Less than one” you don’t need to get that breed. If your answer is “One”, you need to try harder. A reasonable sample size is more than three and talking to 3-5 breeders or breed enthusiasts. Posting a lone question online doesn’t count, neither do breed message boards or Facebook. Make a phone-call, write an email, or just get out and head to a dog show. It’s not that hard.

If you have to ask yahoo answers, you can’t have one.

6) How much time (or money) are you willing to put toward grooming?

So you think you want a Puli? Malamute? Afghan Hound? How much money do you have to groom it? None? Go away. Really. If you don’t have a good cost estimate from a local groomer, you don’t have a clue.

I have some Fiskars and a leaf-blower. I got this.

7) Once again, why do you really want this breed?

Really, why?

8) Are you on drugs?

Some breeds seem to require it as a prerequisite to ownership.

One of the only valid Fila owners.

9) Did someone laugh at you when you said you wanted said breed?

If experienced dog owners laugh when you just mention the breed name… it’s time to walk away.  In the dog world, it’s safe to assume you know nothing compared to people that have lived with the breed for years.

Wait, did you just say FIla? Excuse me while I die laughing.

10) Do you want this dog because it’s novel?

Sometimes breeds are rare for good reason.   Imagine a world with Presa Canarios roaming city sidewalks on the end of flexi-leashes?  Yeah.  We don’t want to think about it either.    If you insist on being a Rare Breed Braggart, at least look into a dog that you can manage using the above criteria.

Having a dog no one has heard of doesn’t make you special, it just makes you stupid.

If you made it through our list without running away crying and you think you may actually still want one, you… still need to do a shit ton of research. No, watching Dogs 101 doesn’t count, neither does reading the wikipedia article. Talk to breeders, talk to owners, read the literature on the breed and then, if you still think you want one, pray to the flying spaghetti monster that the breeder is willing to let you have one. Pro tip: If the breeder tries to give you one on your first visit… walk away. A good breeder of a difficult breed is just as difficult as the dogs themselves. You have to work for it.

You’re welcome.

142 Responses to “Put it back, you don’t need that! a.k.a. Picking the correct breed is important. Don’t fuck it up.”

1. Sherry November 26, 2013 at 4:10 am #

I truly love you guys. Keep it up. I enjoy your postings because it is a walk through my brain using my inside voice that I can share. You say it so well 🙂

2. stasiafinley November 26, 2013 at 4:21 am #

Yes, yes, yes!!!

Dumb Woman: I need your help, my dog drags me down the street every time I walk him!
    Dog Trainer Friend of Mine: Ok, what kind of dog is he?
    Dummy: He’s a Siberian Husky.
    Trainer: Well, you know they were bred to pull sleds over long distances every day. What made you get a husky?
    Dummy: Oh, but he was so pretty…

Dumb Woman #2: We got him from a pet store because the breeder we were talking to was giving us such a hard time.
    Me: She must have been a good breeder.

• cherianna November 26, 2013 at 3:38 pm #

We have a pet store that we are trying to close that purports to sell only “family friendly” breeds – they have an elkhound/husky cross – I was imagining this breed dragging their owners down the street!

• Mira November 27, 2013 at 2:47 am #

LOL!!! I have a Siberian Husky whose parents are working sled dogs. During leash training as a puppy, did some serious rotator cuff damage to my shoulder before he figured out when not to pull and how to walk beside me.
      People kept asking me ‘He’s pulls way to hard. Why did you buy him,’
      Erm… to pull my dog sled, perhaps?
      People look at him and coo ‘Ooooh he’s so pretty!’
      I look at him and think, ‘He can help haul in the fire wood.’
      I bought him to work, not to look good in front of the fireplace.
      Some people just don’t get that.

• DaninVan November 30, 2013 at 5:37 pm #

Heh…we had Sibes for 30 years (no, not the same ones); finally, after the last one passed, SWMBO said “That’s it! We’re not doing that anymore.” lol
        (We currently have an SPCA Shepherd X (M) who is the most loyal, intuitive, and obedient dog we’ve ever had. An absolute gem.)

3. kkoira November 26, 2013 at 4:27 am #

Oh come on, thinking they are cute is totally a valid reason to be interested in a breed!

• Kimmy Gallant November 26, 2013 at 9:59 am #

People don’t often pick Chihuahuas for their personality!

• Shanna November 26, 2013 at 4:36 pm #

I actually have a friend how has the worlds friendliest Chihuahua. Seriously this dog loves all people and all animals. Shes an angel. I dont like Chihuahuas normally but this one I would take in a heart beat. \

• RowanVT November 29, 2013 at 7:16 pm #

Chihuahuas can be perfectly lovely dogs IF they are socialised, just like most other breeds. I took on a chi-min pin cross as a foster pup (parvo at 6 weeks old, she did fine) and I socialised that dog to hell and back. She loves everyone, doesn’t shake, doesn’t bark at people and she’s fine for medical procedures. Her downside is that she is perpetual motion dog and getting her to hold still for anything is like wrangling an eel that has been coated in lard.

• Assegai Rhodesian Ridgebacks November 29, 2013 at 7:50 pm #

“an eel that has been coated in lard.”

LOVE IT!

• Sere January 16, 2014 at 6:19 am #

I’ve met quite a few Chihuahuas that were sociable and not endless barkers. There were highly socialized, which many dogs are not, from an early age. Especially smaller house dogs which often spend their lives yapping at anything and everything. Not the dogs’ fault usually. They need socializing, exercise and training just as any other type of dog.

• naba November 27, 2013 at 4:14 am #

Kkoira, it is because of people like you that so many dogs end up at shelters.

• Assegai Rhodesian Ridgebacks November 27, 2013 at 4:59 am #

Well, actually I think that thinking a dog is cute, or beautiful, or charmingly ugly IS a valid reason to LOOK INTO a breed – but then you need to decide if the general temperament, activity level, grooming requirements etc. fit your lifestyle and be prepared to walk away if any ONE of those breed characteristics does not mesh with YOUR character & needs.

• Patricia Surratt December 4, 2013 at 5:49 pm #

recognize sarcasm much?

4. Diane November 26, 2013 at 4:45 am #

If I could add an additional pro tip? As I suggest to people thinking they want an Irish wolfhound – go visit a bunch of them in a home environment. Go look at what used to be a sofa, or the very large pile of toothpicks in the backyard that started out as a picnic table. Get smacked in the eye with a tongue the size of a canned ham. Try to walk from point a to point b without looking like you’re playing hopscotch between the recumbent ain’t-moving-for-anyone bodies. Pretend one is very ill and try to carry it to the car. Plan on having a nice steak for dinner and leave it on top of the refrigerator to defrost. Pretend you really wanted pb&j for dinner all along.

• Katie November 26, 2013 at 5:42 am #

Haha! I have an English Mastiff & couldn’t agree more! What’s a drool towel? Yeah, if you have to ask, you aren’t ready.

• alchimaera November 26, 2013 at 9:52 am #

And think whether you really want a lifetime of hearing “Is that a dog or a horse? Har har har!” til you’re ready to sic your good-natured IW on the next unimaginative numbskull …

• Sheila November 26, 2013 at 2:52 pm #

Or ‘I’ve always wanted an Irish Wolfhound” when people see your Scottish Deerhound. Actually, he’s a lurcher with high percentage deerhound, but I gave up on explaining that.

• Sheila November 26, 2013 at 3:08 pm #

And now I sound like the rare breed braggart, how embarrassing!

• northern belle November 26, 2013 at 3:17 pm #

OTOH, best couch potato ever! LMAO

• Diane November 29, 2013 at 3:39 am #

The (not so) funny thing is, every person thinks that they’re the only one to ever say, “Where’s his saddle?”

• Rebecca November 26, 2013 at 12:27 pm #

The one about pretending one is ill and try to carry it to the car! No kidding! HUGE wake up call for me just this past Saturday! My Mastiff (200#) woke up unable to use his one rear leg. My little 5’2″ 125lb self had to figure out how to get him in and out of my SUV!!! Thankfully I do lift (have never been more grateful for squats and deadlifts) so with his help, I managed, but still! Had he been dead weight I’d have had to tap into my inner hulk!

• Kirsten Houseknecht November 26, 2013 at 6:31 pm #

THIS… when our 80 pound GSD got ill the last time we were just relieved we could get him into the car.
        we swore we would go to the shelter and get a pittie mix that topped out at 45 pound
        sigh
        tripped over a rare breed in the shelter, i was one of the few people who knew WHAT she was, what her issues would likely be, and had crates/leashes/dog bowls/etc sized for her… so we ended up with a 127 pound Caucasian Ovcharka…

• Lara November 26, 2013 at 2:35 pm #

Ha! Loved this. Had a wolfie growing up. All so true!

• Judi Questel November 27, 2013 at 12:25 pm #

Yes, totally agree. I am a Golden retriever breeder – when my 6 house dogs are literally carpeting the floor, taking a full stride when walking is impossible. They all think they are lap dogs, and when getting down from my husband’s lap they have a tendency to use his crotch as a launching pad (ouch!!). And except for my 6 month old pup these are all obedience/agility titled dogs.

• Heather Dodds FitzGerald December 1, 2013 at 7:14 am #

OMG That is MY life with Leos!! I finally was told to thaw things in the microwave or inside a cold oven!! the counters and raised island tops, and even the pan on the stove to cook are safe!!! My girls are SO well fed even when they aren’t suppose to be!!! 😉 But…we ARE getting better at guarding our dinners now – now to secure the butter!!!

5. Diana November 26, 2013 at 4:49 am #

And if the breeder is touched by his noodley appendage and deems you potentially suitable for the breed, it does not mean that every litter will have the right dog of that breed for you. I am happy my beloved breed is not in the top 20. It is not the right dog for far more people than it is the right one.

Excellent as always!

6. Rob McMillin November 26, 2013 at 4:55 am #

Not to worry. The AKC is circling the drain. And yes, this is a good thing. (I recognize that this may not be universally agreed upon by the Dog Snobs, but the gods of genetics and commerce have dictated as much. We have learned a few things since Darwin’s age.)

7. NJ Baker November 26, 2013 at 5:07 am #

I love cats. Love love love. But I also love dogs. Problem is, I live in an apartment. Should I ever land on an acreage, my cats will enjoy the love of a lab, a malamute and spaniel. However, I doubt I will ever own an acreage, so I will cherish the memory of the beautiful labs we had growing up.

• Teri November 26, 2013 at 7:05 am #

For most Malamutes, loving a cat is usually very short lived and deadly to the cat!

• Traci November 26, 2013 at 12:50 pm #

Goes the same for Siberian Huskies

• Kyle November 26, 2013 at 2:03 pm #

So if for the working Spaniel… 🙂
        I’m talking English Springer or English Cocker. 🙂

• Patty November 26, 2013 at 9:03 pm #

Hey, I have a Husky/Shepherd and she lives with 4 cats, well 3 now because one of my cats passed away, not dog related. She also has an awesome recall and is no problem off leash. One of the cats came to us as a little kitten and they’re awesome together. Just saying!

I agree totally with the article. I love Border Collies and have known a few but I would never have one. Love Malinois and if I was 20 years younger I’d be looking for one but not right now!

• Marie November 27, 2013 at 1:46 am #

I raised Mals and all mine were kid and cat friendly. I even had one that would sleep with our daughters rabbit. My CH even went so far as to ace the obedience ring. We had 12 Mals and not an ounce of problems.

• Shari December 4, 2013 at 6:42 pm #

I owned a german sheperd-malamute cross that absolutely loved 3 different litters of kittens, the odd cat the showed up in the yard, 2 turtles, many ducks, and 3 ferrets. never once showed any type of aggression. Its all about socialization and training.

8. Susan November 26, 2013 at 5:41 am #

Good one! I’m still laughing.

9. Melanie November 26, 2013 at 5:50 am #

8+ years ago, When I realized that I would finally be able to get a dog-took a sabbatical from work, available income, time and energy to devote to creating the connection that I had dreamt of all my life- I reserched for a year. Took tests, talked to many, many people, read and read. I discovered the breed that seemed to fit me to a T.
    Turned away from the gorgeous, well bred litter whose sire was freakin’ amazing on paper and to look at, cause the breeder told me not to look directly at him when he came to check me out. Um- no thanks. Found a litter with calm, attentive parents that lived with the family. Breeder had three dogs, bred a litter a year, let puppies in the house. I did not care what color or coat my new friend had, and discussed the sex with the breeder. Decided on a boy- cause there is a reason they are called bitches…. The breeder had chosen which puppy she thought would be the best fit with me, but i asked her not to tell me before i gave the puppy test to all the boys in the litter-wow, what an eye opener. Yes, I do realize the tests are certainly not definitive, but it was pretty cool to see all the subtle differences in puppies that all looked like fluffy bundles of button eyed cuteness!
    Took classes (to train ME) from puppy hood all the way till now. Socialized, socialized, socialized. Took him everywhere, traveled with him, visited peoples houses, farmers markets, any where they would let him in. I learned what a dog can do when they trust you, when they are learning what they were bred to do. When you reward them with joy.
    So now? I have the great honor to live with a heart dog. My trainer likes to have him show newbies what to do and how amazing a dog can be, doing what they are bred for. Strangers stop and share wistful stories of the great dog they had growing up, while stroking his head. Drivers stop their cars and tell me what a gorgeous dog and how well behaved he is.
    I want to shoot this article directly into the ears (needle wise) of all the pinheads that gave me the ‘what the hell’ look when I told them what research I did, how much I spent on training, how many hours I (still!) spend with and on my dog. I don’t even bother telling them how much hard work it takes to create this life with the best dog in the whole world- they do not get it. But you do. Thank you.
    Ps- Dear Dog Snobs, please do not try and tell me you have T.B.D.I.T.WW- in this one instance, you would be wrong.

• glenshee November 26, 2013 at 12:50 pm #

So, I’m very curious now to know what breed you chose?

• Melanie November 27, 2013 at 4:46 am #

German shepherd- the dog that might not be the best at one thing-like herding or obedience or or or. But they can do everything well!

• Claudia November 26, 2013 at 12:58 pm #

You devoted a year to choosing a dog?

• sheryl November 26, 2013 at 3:18 pm #

you should really check out the realities of the breed you think you want. That dog will be with you for 10 to 14 years. If you make a mistake, the dog will be given away, dropped at the pound or chained in the yard. How sad is that?

• Kirsten Houseknecht November 26, 2013 at 6:33 pm #

i spent 3 years researching a breed, and visiting , and meeting them, and talking to breeders…. before i decided that in truth i was the wrong owner for one.

• Melanie November 27, 2013 at 4:50 am #

Darn straight! What’s the point of getting an animal that doesn’t make you happy and fit your life? And more to the point-if I can’t take the time this decision deserves, how could I be expected to commit to the time he deserves?

• L. Worthington November 26, 2013 at 3:04 pm #

Yes! That is how to do it, and the reward is your heart dog… as was mine. Really valuable comments, added to a fine article. Thanks!

• marilyn November 26, 2013 at 5:35 pm #

I am interested in what breed you chose? I like you have looked at alot of breeds and have been doing my research. Please share
      Thanks Marilyn

• Melanie November 27, 2013 at 5:04 am #

German shepherds are the breed for me- Velcro, talkative, brave, thoughtful, great sense of humor. Oh- and they luuuvvv to protect.

• Assegai Rhodesian Ridgebacks November 27, 2013 at 2:00 am #

Melanie, LOVE your post – I’ve had a person like you come & look at 2 of my litters. She had researched a ton of dog breeds, settled on 3 realistic choices, and came to look – she spent hours with me, had a bitch puppy picked out in the first litter – then called me to say she wasn’t ready and she really wanted to wait for a boy. She came to look spent hours with that litter too (I love having people come in to socialize my pups!) and ended up with a young adult male of another breed. I was the one she called for training advice and we still e-mail back & forth after 4 years : ) Would she have been just as happy with one of my puppies? Probably. Was I angry that she chose a different breed? NO – not one I would have chosen for apartment living – but the reason he was available was he lacked the intense herding drive his breeder was looking for, so made a great dog-park friendly city dog. I respected the research and the decision – wish EVERYBODY that bought a dog did half as much “homework” fist!
      But Melanie, I would humbly suggest that there just MIGHT be more than one Best Dog In The Whole World – mine is buried next to the driveway so he can still keep an eye on who’s coming & going.

• Melanie November 27, 2013 at 4:52 am #

Oh honey- I tear up just thinking about yours watching out for you. And you are right- isn’t it amazing how many we are blessed with? I don’t think we deserve them.

• Lynn G November 27, 2013 at 8:18 pm #

You just made me tear up. I wish every dog…no, make that PET owner was like you. I wouldn’t have had to spend years of heartbreak in general rescue, and later Pitbull rescue if people would do their research and understand exactly who they were getting.

• Me November 28, 2013 at 11:10 pm #

Ahh yes, the shepherd breeders who have unstable dogs. “He’s protective”, as the dog is attempting to tear down the fence to eat your face. And “Mamas shy” as the nerve bag bitch is hiding in the corner, shaking and growling….no, your dogs aren’t shy and/or protective. They’re assholes. Next.

• Jackal73 November 29, 2013 at 3:01 am #

This post warmed my heart to read, and then doubly when I saw below which breed it was. Thank you for being a good GSD owner! There are too few who are. (I think I had no choice — I was raised by one, my family always had the breed, and I’m on the third one that’s exclusively mine, so I suspect that they trained me rather than the other way around.)

So many people want the breed, but categorically shouldn’t have it. I do a lot of talking people out of their admiration for my current dog — solid black working line, Czech breeding at a guess. Yes he’s gorgeous, but there’s a reason I was able to get him from a shelter for a fraction of what he would have cost as a puppy. When a working line GSD person says a dog is high drive someone who hasn’t spent real time with a high energy, high intensity breed can’t begin to really appreciate what that means.

10. Melanie November 26, 2013 at 6:01 am #

Sorry for being just a little lengthy- blame it on the relief of hearing others GET IT

11. Mary McCarty Earley November 26, 2013 at 6:17 am #

This is great advice. I would also add that it is really eye-opening to visit the rescue sites for the breed you are interested in. Many of them provide articles with titles such as “So You Think You Want a Chow Chow.” They’ll list the hard realities, and they won’t pull any punches.

12. Rachel November 26, 2013 at 6:37 am #

Actually most malamutes don’t need much or any pro grooming,I could handle mine at home. They mostly shed a ton,but do not snarl easily.

I also have no issue with people owning rare breeds as long as it actually fits their life style and they want it for more reasons then it’s cute/pretty/tough/impressive.

Same with the paranoia that often leads people to get Fila’s and Ovtcharka’s as suburban/city pets. That they need some huge aggressive guard dog because the world is out to get them,and I guess a GSD or Rottweiler is not good enough to stop the mad men in their dreams. I really have heard people comment on how only Ovtcharkas or dead game Pit bulls could protect them from possible intruders.

Pretty much all breeds where rare at some time or another,so I do like seeing them at times. there are legitimate reasons for them some of the time.

Another thing I would say is to find the right dog for your environment and climate,a dog like a Malamute or Saint Bernard would do very poorly in the south,even with air conditioning.

• Claudia November 26, 2013 at 12:55 pm #

Anyone thinking a dead game pit bull would be of any use against a person has absolutely no freaking idea what they’re talking about. Furthermore, someone who believes that a pit bull is a suitable guard dog doesn’t even deserve to look at one.

• Kirsten Houseknecht November 26, 2013 at 6:34 pm #

pitties will drown you in licking. not a good guard dog AT ALL, and light weight enough to be thrown around. very very poor choice

• Kyle November 26, 2013 at 2:16 pm #

Nor pitbulls, nor Ovtcharka (you mean Caucasian Shepherd, I would assume) should not be used as guard dogs. Pitbulls were bred to fight and be dog aggressive, not people aggressive (thankfully, most of them aren’t either and are really sweet natured dogs, if raised by adequate people), and Caucasians were bred to guard the sheep from wolfs and snow leopards (I owned two, they are huge, have a strong drive against other animals, look scary, are immensely dumb and in 99% of cases useless as manstoppers as they just try to intimidate you).
      So, I totally agree. Will sign under each word.
      Again, Caucasian Shepherd was bred to live OUTSIDE. They suffer in the condo, even house. I can justify getting one in Canada, if you are a farmer somewhere in Alberta or BC…
      And people don’t realize that a dog is not a compensator for your little willy. If you are a frail teenager or petite woman – don’t get a Rottweiler, which will grow up to be 150 lb and will fire at anyone (including yourself) without any possibility for you to control him. UNLESS you’ve dealt with that breed your entire life.
      I’ve seen a 100 lb girl handling my 154 lb beast with no effort at all, but she had Rotts her entire life…

• Kirsten Houseknecht November 26, 2013 at 6:42 pm #

just a heads up… the ovcharkha from military lines have a very different trigger than the farm lines. much more likely to act first and warn later.
        the farm lines will indeed try to drive you off first, but unlike many other breeds they WILL follow through.
        i have a CO and i do not think she knows the meaning of “bluff”…. but she is very mellow like most flock guards, prefers to lie around most of the time, unless she is imitating a gazelle…

they certainly can have more animal territoriality. many many COs are not to be trusted around other larger animals like other dogs… but its not universal. the smaller animals are often ok with them, oddly as they do not hit the threat response (again, individuals are different)

my 45 pound mutt of blessed memory drove off two attackers, and a home invasion. he was pure “do NOT mess with shorty” on four paws…
        my GSD would have shown you were the silver was if you petted him, and cried at a harsh word
        my CO is stand offish to most folks, and would probably kill a home invader, as their territory drive is very strong, but once she likes you she is the gentlest beast ever… also she eats half peanuts, and chews them.
        YMMV

whatever the tough guy macho “dog of the moment” is the bad owners go get one, and usually end up abusing them to try to make them mean.

• Rachel November 27, 2013 at 12:30 am #

I’ve seen many Pits that make better watch dogs then many guard dog breeds I know,but it can be more of a individual thing. I agree that their not a breed you can be sure would make a good watch dog,sense many don’t. They can be trained to attack,but their still rather small and have a higher potential to get injured.
        Plus the only reason their liked is because people think any other breed would run away after its kicked or punched. Despite that mostly not being the case for trained dogs.

Ovtcharka’s have different blood lines,some are known for a higher aggression towards humans.

Controlling and training a Ovtcharka is a lot of work,I also don’t see them being very happy in some apartment. Even if they are more powerful then the typical guard dogs I just don’t see it as an excuse.

I do think that a regular GSD,Doberman,Bull mastiff or Rottweiler would be a better choice,they are perfectly capable of handling a intruder,and would be easier to handle.
        In fact intimidation,nipping and barking will ward off most intruders.

My Rott is only 75ibs but he is powerful and high energy,people I know had trouble controlling him when he was younger,even the same people that can walk giant dogs. So its good to know your physical ability before you get your dog.

13. Missy November 26, 2013 at 6:52 am #

Not trying to be one of “those people” but I take exception to grooming comments. Just about everyone I know w/ multiple Standard Poodle, has learned to groom their own dogs. I know groomers won’t like hearing it, but professional grooming is not always neccessary. As long as you are commited to doing it properly, grooming your own dog can be the best option. For example, I bathed my Shih Tzu tonight and will cut her hair tomorrow. I also partially towel dried her in my arms. I can brush half my Poodle one night, while watching tv and the other half the next night will listening to music. It makes the whole process less stressful and it’s great way to bond.

• Kat, Holly & Bri November 26, 2013 at 7:25 am #

I agree that pro grooming can be circumnavigated by learning the magnificent art of doing for thyself but that doesn’t really make it all the less expensive at first glace.

For example, I’ve got one Coonhound (wash and wear, pretty much no grooming required) and a Newfoundland aka: 95lbs of drooling, shedding, double-coated, easily matted, mud magnet. I cannot BEGIN to tell you how much money I have spent on all the grooming supplies, not to mention how much MORE money I WISH I had to spend on better grooming supplies!
      -5 different sizes, shapes, brands and types of brushes
      -2 rakes
      -1 MCK (stripping brush/rake thing)
      -3 different kinds of shears
      -2 blow dryers (Note that neither of these are the one I secretly lust after.)
      -2 combs
      -1 mat rake
      -Several gallons of high concentrate shampoo and conditioner
      -finishing spray

Note that these are just the things that I use on a very regular basis, as in, if I lost one of these items there is every likelihood the house would be turned inside-out looking for it. (Save maybe the mat rake.) Let’s not even get started about how my secret lusts in this life include a grooming table, walk in dog bath, K9 III high velocity dryer, and a pair of Japanese Steel thinning shears. I also fantasize about having a Rainbow vacuum to help clean up the mess that follows grooming. Also in learning the art of grooming a Newfie I have managed to draw plenty of blood (only my own thankfully).

Frankly, in my opinion, grooming is certainly worth it, but honestly, most people who just buy on a whim aren’t going to know the first thing about grooming. Any dog.

Genius post, so bloody true!

• TheDogSnobs November 26, 2013 at 11:50 am #

We said time or money…

• Connie Kaplan November 27, 2013 at 12:08 am #

So true about grooming poodles. I have poodle mix and just have her cut back really short every 8-16 weeks depending on the time of year and never needs to be brushed more that once or twice a week. We can do it ourselves but our groomer is a bargain….

14. Suzanne Fay November 26, 2013 at 8:17 am #

I thought I knew what I was getting into by purchasing Afghan hounds again, although 40 years apart. I love the two that I have to bits and was prepared for the old way of grooming. This has now changed greatly, don’t brush daily and bath as necessary, it is now bath once a week and don’t touch the coat between times. Although more bathing and drying instruments are available mine don’t particularly like them, so it is a new battle. The exercise and diet that they need are no problem. They live inside with my rescued dog and I have found that a good vacuum cleaner made particularly for cat and dog coat is a wonderful advantage to keeping the house manageable. One persons opinion does not fit all.

15. rubytheblacklabrador November 26, 2013 at 9:27 am #

Great advice – all fantastic. Poor labrador though – serious negligence or good photoshopping:)

16. Patti Goettler November 26, 2013 at 12:34 pm #

I have Hunted with, done Go To Ground, Raced and yes, bred Jack Russell Terriers, (NOT AKC!). My pups went to working homes that I checked out or knew the folks from hunting with them. I did breed a pet litter when I found a sweet, mellow Jack guy at a horse show…that litter produced 2 prey driven Hunters and 3 cuddly pets…I kept one hunter and got the other into a good hunting home…and yes, 3 went to pet homes, that took Obedience lessons from me, to keep them sweet and cuddly!
    I turned down MANY angry “bunny huggers” who wanted one ’cause they were soooo cute! I also sent many well meaning would be “JRT wanters” to a local Beagle breeder who produced , small, sweet, snuggling Tri-colored family pets.
    Super article, but , alas, the ones who really need it won’t, (or can’t) read it.

• Kirsten Houseknecht November 26, 2013 at 6:44 pm #

so many people wanted JRs after wishbone aired….
      and they are TOTALLY not for most people

17. Traci November 26, 2013 at 12:59 pm #

Good article, everyone should research their chosen breed. I grew up with Sibes, but was a cat lover. Now that I am married with my own house, I have cats & dogs together. I do not have Sibes, because I like cats. I have Dobermans and one rescued Chihuahua that were brought in after the cats were here. Researched breeders, found a great one & got some nice puppies who learned cats are friends.

18. cheryl November 26, 2013 at 1:15 pm #

Weimaraners, especially when people see a well behaved one. A woman just came up to me at a pet expo explaining how she was going to get one to leave out at night to kill racoons, chase coyotes, etc. for her fowl farm. Wait – What! I tried to explain nicely that the breed really isn’t meant for that purpose and it would be cruel to the dog. Well of course she blew me off and said I was ignorant. Um, no, nada, not really. I also direct people to the Weimaraner Club of America website that goes into great detail on the personality and needs of the breed – not that they listen……. Sometimes people suck…

• mulewagon November 26, 2013 at 1:45 pm #

A hunting dog as free roaming chicken guardian? I think he’ll love it! She won’t have many chickens left, but that’s her look out…

• Jennifer November 26, 2013 at 2:48 pm #

75% of the time, people suck.

• Casey November 26, 2013 at 5:32 pm #

I have two weims… I would never wish that on anybody! LOL just kidding. I love my Weimys but I also got them from local shelters (yes they are as “pure-bred” as they can be). Total cost me a combined $77.50. But I also compete with them in hunting and dock diving. They have super temperaments. And I’m also a full time trainer, so there.

It baffles me when people say things to me like, “I want to get X breed” Or “I just think X breed is the cutest thing!” I’m just like… dudes you are crazy. EVERY DOG IS CUTE. You’re basing this decision on the huge umbrella of the all mighty “BREED” of dog. Not the individuality of the dog, or even the specificity of the litter, or parents, etc.

I wish people would say things like, “I want a dog that is fluffy/smooth coated/likes to run with me/will behave nicely around strangers/likes to lay on the couch.” Etc. I think that if people changed their mentality to really want and covet that heart dog, that relationship bond and partnership with a dog, then the looks and breed wouldn’t matter. We as a society get into huge trouble when you try to fit all of those lifestyle criteria into a specific breed of dog. People will say, “I want a border collie/lab/poodle/whatever” and then the fact that they got that specific dog (what they wanted vs what they needed) outweighs all of the other things that may not meld into their lifestyle. It’s sickening.

And all the people who are like, “I want a labradoodle because it’s hypoallergenic and it’s good for my allergies and my kids allergies!!” Yeah right. You can go away too. You were lied to by a “breeder” or a book or the internet or your friends and now you’re perpetuating that lie. <==that one is the worst!

19. samie November 26, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

People see a well-trained malinois (the ultimate trainer’s dog) and want one, not realising the work that goes into raising a puppy or “channeling his obsessions towards the light” as one friend calls it… sad to see them getting so popular.

• Beth F. November 26, 2013 at 4:37 pm #

Oh yes, I have seen this happen lately twice with bad results each time. I am a trainer and a Malinois is too much dog for *me!* They are waaay to much dog for The Average Busy Family.

• Lynn November 26, 2013 at 7:40 pm #

I have two Malinois right now. I got my first Mal “by accident.” My Dobe was injured and I was left without a competition dog. My trainer sold me one of his mals. She has some quirks that will keep her from being my heart dog but I adore my male. I think he must be channeling a Dobe because at 5 he is still 1/2 puppy and does some of the goofiest things sometimes. Both his parents were fairly serious. Apparently intense socialization and encouraging his goofiness by laughing at all the wrong times has made him “very creative.” Now I just have to convince him that rolling over and scratching his back on the ground is NOT part of a long down ;o)).

• Connie Kaplan November 27, 2013 at 12:11 am #

yeah, lots of people including myself can’t handle a mal…

• Assegai Rhodesian Ridgebacks November 27, 2013 at 2:11 am #

“channeling his obsessions towards the light”
      LOVE IT!

• Diane November 28, 2013 at 4:09 pm #

At the Phila. benched show the other week, a bunch of malinois people were heading back to their area from the ring and stopped in the aisle to talk to each other. One of the public who came to watch the show saw them and said how they really wanted a manilow. I was really tempted to tell them not to bother, they’d get really sick of the singing, but it would have been lost on them so I didn’t bother.

• TheDogSnobs November 28, 2013 at 10:14 pm #

At the beach with my Mali
        “Is that a Male-in-Noise?”
        *sigh* “Yes”
        “They’re a healthy German Shepherd, right?”
        “No. Same problems.”

I feel better by not correcting their mistakes. It makes them easier to spot and avoid.

20. Cheri November 26, 2013 at 3:27 pm #

Love! Love! Love! This is a great piece! Next stop – why you don’t want a puppy in December! We are fighting a pet store in our area that claims to sell only “family friendly” breeds. Google “the Family Puppy” and look at the available breeds – not sure how he determines family friendly!

21. Misty Morris November 26, 2013 at 3:30 pm #

I bred Chinese cresteds for years and I have had to talk some people out of a crested due to their life style, or talked them out of a hairless into a powderpuff. I really try hard to place my puppies into a home that will suit them the best. I want what is best for my puppies not what is best for my wallet.

22. cherianna November 26, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

Love! Love! Love! Next post -why you don’t want a puppy in December. We are fighting a puppy store in the area that purports to sell only “family friendly” breeds. Among them, he has dobermans, husky/elkhounds, laboradoodles. I don’t how he defines “family friendly” (mind you we have dobermans but also have a farm – love them but they need JOBS or they can be destructive if in the hands of the wrong people). Drives us insane how someone can impulse buy a puppy at a puppy store!

23. Jerry I November 26, 2013 at 4:08 pm #

I am a dog trainer. I do behavior work frequently. Some times when I go to homes I find a person who needs to be educated. Most of the time I go to homes of people who should not have a dog or should not have the type of dog they own. Most of the time, I find a dog that needs more attention than the family is able or at least willing to give them.

A few times I have had to flat out tell them so. I can’t help you, if you are not willing to change your own life style.

• cheryl November 26, 2013 at 10:17 pm #

Jerry, Well done,you are an excellent dog trainer/human trainer : )

24. ToddC November 26, 2013 at 5:00 pm #

I always remind folks that the breed literature is written by breed enthusiasts. I breed GSPs and when folks describe what they want they usually describe a Brittany. (Smaller than a typical GSP, calmer than a GSP and a house pet that can double duty as a weekend hunter.) You can’t imagine how offended folks are when I tell them to get a Brit.

25. Sara November 26, 2013 at 5:01 pm #

Great Article!!! I usually talk most people out of Siberians. And, yes I can walk down the street with mine at a heal, not pulling me.

26. Amanda Rizner November 26, 2013 at 6:10 pm #

This should be required reading for anybody getting a dog.

27. Sue Winick November 26, 2013 at 6:24 pm #

Been doing puppy training classes for over 22 years. You are so correct. Just had a man call about training for his 10 week old Dobe puppy and wanted to know if I can train the dog to snarle and growel for protection!!! Are u kidding me? You don’t want to know what I told him. Most people that come to class are great and really want to train, some want a quick fix (there is no quick fix). Another lady called me today- took her son’s dog cause it has been kept in their basement, is now 8 yrs. old, an intact female Lab that weighs 96 lbs.!!!. Dear Lord. Keep getting the message out.

• cherianna November 27, 2013 at 2:27 am #

Sue – I would love to hear what you said. After having 5 doberman rescues and finally buying one from a responsible breeder – this annoys me – YUP – no responsible breeder would sell a dog to an idiot like this. Our 10 week old came with nothing but love and kisses. We took her to puppy training (although this was pretty basic for us, we wanted to support our trainer) and she is now in agility. Why in the hell would you teach them to snarle and growl – we want our dobes (we have a rescue too) to know that the people that we invite into our house are safe and we know that because of our training and love, if someone were to threaten us, both would naturally protect us!!!! Good for you as a trainer!!

28. Wren Ingram November 26, 2013 at 8:21 pm #

Absolutely agree! BUT I have to add a plug for the Presa 🙂 I have a rescued Presa who is the softest, sweetest dog I’ve ever had the pleasure of sharing my home with, a Corso and a pit bull and all 3 are love monsters and do walk down city streets (but not on a flexi). They get lots of people who run up and proclaim how badly they want one…swoon… and I make sure I talk them out of it. They aren’t the breed for too many people and not for drug dealers, either as I’m a middle aged female that ‘s totally law-abiding!

29. LydiaG November 26, 2013 at 9:28 pm #

As a Siberian Husky owner (yup, I’m one of THOSE people) I’ve had to talk people out of my chosen breed. They don’t seem to understand that I took up urban mushing for a reason, not just because it looked fun. I tried to explain that even with all the exercise my dog gets I’ve still lost 2 couches, a motorcycle helmet, a horseback riding helmet, show boots, a kennel, a few coats, lots of dishes, sections of my fence, etc.
    One person in particular chose to believe that my dog is “just a bad dog” and got one anyway. He no longer has his husky. Sadly, he lasted 9 months.

OH! I also own a Border Collie! She does flyball, disc, agility, dock dogs, bikejoring, and anything else I can think of to keep her busy! …I’ve talked people out of BCs too…

30. spencer November 26, 2013 at 11:08 pm #

Wow, this is so good!

Another one: If you can’t spell the name of the breed you want, you can’t get one. It’s not a Shit Zoo, or a Rockweiler. Or a Red Healer…

I have/had Shiba Inus, and I almost cringe when someone comments how pretty they are, and asks me what breed. I usually manage to work in a remark about their high prey drive and their tendancy to escape if not on a leash or in a fenced yard all the time. Yes, they’re beautiful (*part* of the reason I have them), but they’re not the right dog for many people (said without trying to sound like a dog snob, lol!).

• MntlKase November 27, 2013 at 3:11 am #

I fell in love with Shiba Inus the moment that I saw my first one, probably 15 years ago, and I have known some pretty fantastic Shibas. However, after years and years of extensive reading (while I waited to be in a position to have a dog again), I had to accept that they just weren’t the right breed for me, or more accurately, my husband and daughter.
      I learned this lesson when I was a kid. We adopted a pure Siberian Husky from the shelter. She was 4 years old and her pads were still soft to the touch. The reason her previous home listed for giving her up was “She follows us around too much when we come home from work”. They were cat people who liked the pretty husky, and had no clue what they were doing. I had dreams of great adventures through our northern woods and started sled training with her. As it turned out she was a canine Jaja Gabor incarnate, and would much rather visit my grandmother in NYC and take a dainty jog through Central Park than slog through the woods. So we adjusted to the dog she was.
      My husband and I started thinking about how we had to shift our life to be a good home for a dog about five years ago. Hell, we even picked our current house based it’s suitability for a potentially large dog as I always get shelter dogs, and I never know what size may end up being “our dog”. I even started getting up earlier and going for walks, just to be ready for the change to my routine.
      Even when I felt we were ready for a dog, I had to wait until the RIGHT dog came along. It couldn’t just be the right dog for me, it had to be the right dog for the whole family.
      We now have a big, fantastic hound-type mutt (maybe some Boxer in there too?), with some separation anxiety, which we are working very hard on, a strong small game hunting drive, and an intense attention span for training. Unless he sees a rabbit, at which point he goes all Chewbacca if he’s stuck in the house (if he’s outside, you might as well just go get the keys to the truck and wait to see which neighbor calls). He is definitely not a Shiba Inu.
      Sometimes you just have to let go of you childhood ideals, and work with the real life you’re living. I mean, I didn’t marry Lloyd Dobbler either (thank god!).

• RowanVT November 29, 2013 at 7:31 pm #

I think shibas are beautiful, but if I wanted another cat I certainly wouldn’t get one I have to take on walks. 😛 At my last workplace we had a single truly people-driven shiba that everyone adored, but we knew he was the exception.

31. quailgirl November 27, 2013 at 12:03 am #

I have hunting dogs….beagles that rabbit hunt, chessies that duck hunt and an assortment of pointing breeds (GSP, Vizsla, & Pointers). Folks often comment on how well behaved our dogs are (we do a lot with them) – but I do try to let people know the challenges facing a hunting dog owner. High energy, prey drive, tendency towards independent hunting. Working with birddog rescues is just depressing sometimes – “you mean really, that Vizsla didn’t take well to a one bedroom apartment and two walks around the block a day? Imagine my surprise!”

• Assegai Rhodesian Ridgebacks November 27, 2013 at 2:19 am #

I used to breed Vizslas, I always told puppy buyers 1) they needed to be OK with dog footprints on the ceiling &
      2) To be prepared to want to “kill” the dog daily for the first year, and weekly for the second year…and that they would end up with a really great dog somewhere between the ages of 5 & 6… : )

• Janice November 27, 2013 at 3:35 pm #

Haha, when I bought my vizsla puppy, the breeder told me that they do not sent the dog’s brain along until it is two…

• Assegai Rhodesian Ridgebacks November 27, 2013 at 10:18 pm #

Completely accurate assesment : ) Boys can take a little bit longer ; )

32. pyrpups November 27, 2013 at 2:15 am #

After rescuing several dogs from people who don’t understand that they can get huge, are furry and will be aggressive without training. Then having to spend four to six hours to get the poor beasty brushed, trimmed, calmed and fed, all before I can even make a reasonable introduction to the rest of the “cute white fuzzy puppies” that he/she will probably spend the rest of their lives with, because someone couldn’t understand the phrase “if you don’t take control, the dog will” and then wonder why “he won’t let me groom/trim/walk/command/touch” the list is endless.
    Thank you for the article.

33. noneoya November 27, 2013 at 2:37 am #

husky/elkhounds aren’t a family friendly breed, says who? Ours is the sweetest most loving puppy who loves to be with us and greets everyone she meets with a tongue bath and an enthusiastic tail wagging invitation to love and be loved.

34. Jen November 27, 2013 at 2:45 am #

People amaze me. There are certain breeds which I think are adorable or gorgeous, but I know myself and my lifestyle well enough to know that something like a fox terrier or husky are not for me! There’s a reason I’m a corgi girl.
    I have a friend who got a husky about a year ago with no knowledge of the breed. He’s luckily a pretty chill pup and she exercises him a lot, but she constantly tells me about these cute/amazing/odd things that he’ll do (“He talks!”, etc.) and my only answer is “Well, yeah. He’s a husky. That’s what huskies do.”

35. Rebecca November 27, 2013 at 7:28 am #

I’m a dog walker over on the west coast. I have two “rare” breeds that I walk weekly. Ones a bouvier and owner has owned a variety of them, both show and pet, throughout her life. A lot of people marvel at this bouviers temperament and size. I’m not stupid, this bouvier isn’t typical.

I also walk a Tibetan Mastiff. They said that they did a lot of research and did a lot of socialization, but this is just not a dog that should be in the city. When I agreed to take him on, I think they were shocked about how much care I took to introduce myself to him and how calculated I was in my approach to make sure the dog saw me open the front door, walk throughout the house, or hang in the backyard, open the garage door, even interact with their newborns. They are working with him, but I have to wonder what they were thinking!!

A friend, of a friend, got a malinios… I didn’t even know the person well! But I knew it was a bad idea!! She didn’t do a whole ton of research and is shocked by every new behavior that crops up, that is actually typical of mallies.

I have a older amstaff and a mixed breed terrier. I really want my next dog to be a bull terrier. But the more people I talk with and the more research I do, I’m realizing I just better not. I don’t have the maturity or time for that breed right now!

• Richard December 1, 2013 at 4:01 am #

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! My Bella is a hoot (Bull Terrier). My first exposure to bull terriers was when I was in junior high and I saw the original “The Incredible Journey”. Old Bodger’s courage and drive struck a chord with me and I became a fan of the breed. It took about fifty years, but I finally got my Bullie. In the meantime I bought books and studied the breed. We were interviewed by a breeder in St Louis some years ago by being seated in their family room and then having the dogs brought in to see how we would react to these boisterous clowns. They came bounding into the room and jumped up onto the couch and us. Hilarious! We did get a puppy then, about 20 years ago, but took it back shortly thereafter because my wife was worried about some of the breeding clauses in the contract. We also had a Scottie puppy about the same age and she was worried about their interaction, but in hindsight, that probably would not have been a problem, as we now have the same combo. A breeder in TN asked me if we knew what we were getting into with a bull terrier and I said I had studied the breed and we had owned terriers (scotties & westies) for years and he was OK with that. Well, there is no way to know about owning a bull terrier until you actually own one. She is relentless with her toys, always right there pushing them at you, either going 100% or crashed out. The list of furniture casualties is lengthy (although Abbie, the Scottie, certainly had her share). When the end table seemed to get smaller as grew larger, the lamp suffered when she chased Abbie under it. You have to watch out for that boulder head. My wife just leaned down to pet one of the breeder’s bitches and the thing lifted her head quickly and hit her in the nose. That really hurt. Being with a bullie is like being in the boxing ring; protect yourself at all times. Bullies are attention-getters. We were in a CO a couple of years ago and a kid came up to say “What an awesome dog!” She is that beautiful tan with a white chest and blaze on her face. And very sweet. At doggy day care she goes in with the small dogs (she’s only 37 pounds herself, but solid muscle). I like to just watch her. The way she moves and stands is amazing. I think the modern bullies are getting too thick and losing too much of the terrier quality, and their heads have the fill, but are becoming too coarse. just my opinion.

36. jade November 27, 2013 at 1:22 pm #

Thank you for this article. My husband and I spent a year and a half narrowing down the right breed for us, 6 months finding a breeder an 8 months on a puppy wait list while attending breed events to meet owners. We also spent months meeting vets in our area and interviewed several trainers as we want training to be an ongoing part of our dogs’ life. In a couple months when our guy is 12 weeks old we will be bringing home our baby!
    A cousin of mine and first time dog owner decided she wanted a dog last week, spent 2 days finding a puppy in her area and that day brought home a 5 week old puppy. I only found out all this in hindsight so could not intervene. My heart aches for this pup and all other dogs this happens too…

37. Miniham November 27, 2013 at 1:57 pm #

I have a sheltie, and I have literally had people driving down the street and stop to buy my dog. When told she isn’t for sale, they kept driving after us wanting to know what the price for her was. She even put her checkbook and pen in her hand as she followed us. Finally she said, “But I want a toy collie.” My husband pulled short and said, “Stop. First of all, it’s a dog, not a toy and unless you learn the difference, you don’t deserve one.” We wouldn’t sell our dog, because she’s OUR dog. And we certainly wouldn’t send a sheltie to someone who didn’t know what they were getting into!

38. Lynn G November 27, 2013 at 7:55 pm #

LOL, For real, I used to think I wanted a Belgian Malinois because I think they look absolutely breathtaking. Then I did some research and found out I don’t have anywhere near the energy to have one. So I have cats. Indoor cats. lol

39. Nicole November 28, 2013 at 1:14 am #

LOVE IT! Badass article as usual! As a groomer, RVT, trainer AND agility nut… I have seen it all.. or damn close…. I love it when people get a coated breed and go.. “Well.. I didn’t think it would need to be groomed much less brushed this much”…. well… that’s where that research thing comes in handy folks… Or “We didn’t realize the heeler/BC/ Aussie would herd our children, and I only have 15 mins a day to spend with the dog, and now he’s a monster can you fix him? Sure, let me get out that magic wand……. People laugh at me and think I’m crazy because I’ve been waiting to get my Giant Schnauzer until I’m down in numbers in dogs (I have 5 dogs), I finally have found a breeder that I like, and I’m hoping that eventually in the next 5 years, I will have one of her puppies… 16 years of researching, drooling and waiting..

40. Nate November 28, 2013 at 7:51 pm #

Wow so now it’s ok for dog “people” to act like angry baristas now? Seriously guys? The kind of person who would be stupid enough to make the mistakes you’ve hi lighted is not the kind of person who would read this blog post. Secondly you’ve offered no real help. You’re just bitching in the form of an attempted informative post.

• Jean November 28, 2013 at 10:19 pm #

Let me guess, Nate…this is the first Dog Snobs blog post you’ve ever read? I suggest you relax a bit and see the humor in the bitching.

• Melanie November 29, 2013 at 4:52 am #

Aye caramba dude- chill out. Commenting on the stupidity of people who bring a living creature into their home based on cuteness and looks alone is bitching? Talking about how much time people SHOULD spend on that decision is not helpful? Go away. You should not be here.

• RowanVT November 29, 2013 at 7:35 pm #

OH NOES! People want to bitch on their own blog about things that annoy them. The TRAVESTY OF IT ALL.

Methinks that you have gotten a dog that you were not prepared for, and don’t like to see that fact put so very bluntly.

41. Sue T November 30, 2013 at 3:09 am #

Not all Vizslas take that long to be able to live with them. My current 5 month old is my fourth vizsla. Two weeks ago, when I arrived home from knee replacement surgery I dropped the tv remote. She raced over, picked it up and jumped onto the lounge beside me to give it back. She hasn’t once bumped my crutches. Mind you, I waited three years for the right Vizsla pup from the right breeder.
    Sue

42. John West November 30, 2013 at 5:25 pm #

I think most people want a dog because they want something that will actually like them no matter how grand an asshole they actually are. The rest have no idea why they want a dog, just consider it fashionable I would think. I am a dedicated cat server. They are the best. Slobbering suck-holing dogs are like welfare recipients. No class, just feed it.

43. felinaflash November 30, 2013 at 5:29 pm #

Most people have no idea why they want a dog. Perhaps they want something that will actually like them despite that fact that they may be a complete asshole.

I think cats are the best choice for house pet. They are easy and very lovable. Dogs are too slobbery and sycophantic … like welfare recipients looking for the next freebie.

Cats have more class and any breed will do. They all behave as they want to. Your job is to admire their grace and beauty.

44. TheTooner November 30, 2013 at 6:58 pm #

99% of people who need this advice will fail to seek it, or having got it will ignore it.

My partner and her daughter wanted a cute puppy, and they got it. My partner died, and I inherited a diletante teenage dog owner and an attention hound. Now my true friends say the only way to fix my life is to kill the dog, and they are right, but I’ll still have to live with myself afterwards, so I accept the fate I chose for myself by not, when I had the chance, choosing to ensure the right dog was chosen. Learn from the mistakes of others, you won’t live long enough to make all the mistakes yourself.

• Lynn December 1, 2013 at 4:32 pm #

I would like to offer you some additional advice. You might try obedience training for the dog. It might help. I would also suggest some counseling for you and your daughter. I’m guessing that the dog isn’t really the problem right now. Please do not “get rid of” or kill the dog. I lost my heart dog ten days after my grandfather died. I was an adult and I was still devastated. I am really sorry for your loss.

45. Assegai Rhodesian Ridgebacks December 1, 2013 at 1:58 am #

” Your job is to admire their grace and beauty.”
    Don’t forget feeding them & worshiping them as the deities they are.

46. Claire December 1, 2013 at 3:55 am #

I am SUCH a dog snob that my puppies never go to people who have not been pre trained by a dachshund. They can learn the breed on some other’s breeder’s dogs. It’s funny how some families are generational owners of the same breed. I figure a 4th generation doxie owner is going to “get” my breed. Not only am I that kind of snob, but I now import my dogs from eastern Europe as I can’t abide the standard dachshunds that are common currency in the show ring. I agree with Rob McMillan. Genetically, it’s time to get out of registries and start breeding dogs that can DO work and not just look like they can do work. SNOB alert!!!

47. T2stoner December 1, 2013 at 4:50 am #

It always comes down to the 20/80 rule😜

48. Keechy December 2, 2013 at 12:51 am #

I had GWPs. Will love the breed forever but no longer have the physical ability to make a high energy breed like that happy. Mum is a registered breeder of dual working/showtype Labs and I know the breed well and knew i could manage their needs and would enjoy their sweet natures, so when it came time to get the next dog, I got a Lab and will probably stick to Labs till it is time to scale down to smaller dogs. Not sure what breed my “old lady dogs” will be yet but for sure I will be doing a lot of research first. I’ve already started with probably decades of Labs to go!

49. Chris Loverseed December 3, 2013 at 7:56 am #

Made my day!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. November 28th, 2013 « Tikkunista! - November 28, 2013

[…] and a dog getting ready for a scooter ride. And a serious text with some very funny moments: how to select the right breed of dog. Beautiful images to wind up the week: some stunning portraits made from a single, unbroken thread […]