That’s Just Shitty: A Monday rant courtesy of BusyBee

18 Nov

Picking up dog poop should be common sense, right?  Seems pretty obvious.  Your dog takes a dump out in public, you pick it up.  Easy.  Well…easier said than done given that common sense is not exactly common and there are a lot of self-involved, oblivious, or just down-right disrespectful people out there.

Yesterday I stepped in two different piles of dog shit while out and about in my neighborhood.   Seriously.  Nothing makes me rage more.  I don’t understand people who don’t pick up after their dogs.  Sure, it’s not glamorous, but what parts of dog ownership are? (Certainly living with Mr. T who routinely belches in my face, farts in bed, and licks his not-junk in my presence has robbed me of any delusions of glamour I may have started with).

So why don’t people pick up after their dogs?  I’ve pretty much heard it all.

1. “ Dog poop is natural.”

So is arsenic.  I don’t want to drag that home with me either.

To infinite amounts of poop…and beyond!

2. “ I didn’t want to carry it with me.”

Oh, so letting other people carry it home on the bottom of their shoes is a better option.  Got it.

Truth.

3.  “I forgot a bag.”

Be creative, then.  It’s amazing how many things can be used to scoop poop.  Channel your inner MacGyver and use leaves, a twig, or a napkin to pick it up.  Or here’s a novel concept…ask someone.  If you live in the city like I do, there is always someone around and most of us are responsible dog owners and carry extra bags.

WWMD: What would MacGyver Do?

4.  “I didn’t see where it went.”

I live in the city where leash-laws rule, so either your head was completely up your ass or your dog was off-leash and you weren’t paying attention.  Both are crappy excuses.  Is it dark out?  That’s fine.  Use a flashlight.  Don’t have one?  There’s this nifty little thing called an app that can give you one instantly on your smartphone.

5. “It makes me gag.”

If you can’t deal with dog poop, you shouldn’t get a dog.  Dogs poop.  Sometimes it’s gross.  Sometimes it’s REALLY gross.   But you know what, it comes with the territory.  So suck it up buttercup, and clean up after your dog.

If you’re going to spew, spew into this…or an extra poop bag

So how do I handle this? (Other than venting on the internet?).  Usually I offer up a combination of dirty looks, passive aggressive offers to lend them a poop-bag, or simply yelling across the park to pick it up.

How do I *want* to handle this?  Oh, I have lots of fun ideas I’ve toyed around with.  Does anyone else remember “John TV” where local stations aired the names of men who had been caught soliciting prostitutes?  Well, I  have imagined airing a segment on the local news or neighborhood blogs with photos of the assholes who routinely don’t pick up after their dogs.   I’ve also joked about starting a vigilante poo crew that hides behind bushes and upon seeing a poopetrator, jumping out, yelling, “ah ha!!” and then shaming people into picking up.  And if they don’t?  We follow them home and light burning bags of their dog’s crap on their front patio.*

Or this. I could get behind this.

*I am not really suggesting poo-filled revenge or vandalism.  Relax.  Let a girl have her dreams.

So, anyone else feel the rage?  Think I’m being too uptight?  Have any clever ideas to deal with the idiots who can’t be bothered to clean up after their dog?  Share below!

39 Responses to “That’s Just Shitty: A Monday rant courtesy of BusyBee”

1. H. Houlahan November 18, 2013 at 8:34 pm #

Recent variation on the theme:

The abandoned plastic bag of dog crap in the park.

Frequently next to a trailhead.

This is an improvement?

• doranna durgin November 18, 2013 at 8:44 pm #

Ooh! We see that, too, but only in the ritziest areas when we’re out and about laying tracks for the dogs. When I realized what was going on, it was a real WTF moment…

• ThePayferPack November 19, 2013 at 5:13 am #

If you mean ritzy as in those folks have extra cash and hire a housekeeper type ritzy, those are the type of people who could hire someone to follow them around and pick up their dogs poo. Hmmm… new business idea, lol.

• Wendy November 18, 2013 at 8:47 pm #

You’re not alone. In Sydney, suddenly I’m noticing used poop bags everywhere- gutters, bushes and parks. I second your question. What are they thinking?

• Mandy Dirt Liesch November 18, 2013 at 10:28 pm #

When I go out on a run with my dog and he eliminates in the first 1/2 mile or so, I bag the poop, and leave it next to the curb to grab on my way back in (unless it is trash day) less than 30 minutes later. I had NO IDEA that it bothered people so much! I figured the neighbors didn’t want it on their lawns, and I don’t want to run in the crazy humidity smelling it on my jog. Guess I should run it home then?

• Hermione November 18, 2013 at 11:29 pm #

Maybe you could plan your run so that you pass by a public dumpster or trash can about half way though.

• Wendy November 18, 2013 at 11:16 pm #

HH I am guilty of that, but where I live, it is a frequent occurence. If we are returning via the same path & know there are no garbage cans ahead, folks leave their bagged poop in conspicuous spots to pick up on the way out. If your bag is gone, you pick up someone else’s to pay it forward. 😀

2. Serina Shepard November 18, 2013 at 8:38 pm #

I am definitely feeling the rage. I live in an apartment complex that has an official potty area near a bag supply, dog poop trash and regular trash. I don’t go down to that area because people don’t pick up and it’s literally a minefield. So, like many in my building, we use the field that is closer. But I spend part of each trip looking for what others left and picking it up because people walk through this area between the parking lot and the building – and kids PLAY here! And one of the irresponsible owners has a flipping horse based on the size of the poop! So at least once a day I am throwing away a completely full poop bag. And I’m the disabled person who has trouble bending over.

and another reason to clean up is to prevent disease in other animals and keep it out of our water! http://www.petfinder.com/dogs/living-with-your-dog/scoop-dog-poop/

3. TheDogSnobs November 18, 2013 at 8:50 pm #

Oh yes, the discarded bags of dog poop. I’ve also vented about that directly on our Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=244414532383720&set=pb.152057514952756.-2207520000.1384807796.&type=3&theater

4. bgszap2 November 18, 2013 at 8:53 pm #

Go to a dog show if you want to see people leaving piles of dog crap behind. Here is this dog all spiffy for the ring on a 4ft lead and suddenly the handler is blind. He can see a hair out place or a whisker that is too long or a nail that needs filing but a huge pile of dog shit?
    Hunh?
    And then they wonder when that venue is closed to them the next year.

• Hermione November 18, 2013 at 11:32 pm #

I have seen this happen at conformation shows. At our local Agility Trials, if you are witnessed not collecting your dog poop and putting it in an appropriate receptacle, you and your dogs are sent home with no refund and refused entry to future trials. It is a powerful motivator.

5. TPV November 18, 2013 at 9:00 pm #

I am the Poop Police at our local dog park. Yes, I AM that bitch.
    “Whose dog is this? It’s pooping!”
    “Here’s a bag. You dog just pooped there.”
    If I can’t find my dog’s poop when he’s far away, I pick up another pile of molten lava.
    I hate when there’s all small dogs at the park, and one St. Bernard. That’s when you find the Leaning Tower of Poop two feet away from the owner, and they pretend the Chihuahua did it.

I’ll leave on this note/picture. (hope it shows up)

6. Cj Landry November 18, 2013 at 9:09 pm #

I have picked it up and rushed toward the person yelling in a happy voice…””OH DARLING…..your forgot your doggies poopies?”” All the way to their car. I have also pulled out my phone and video taped them…usually that works best. I am so with you on this one!

7. Lolly November 18, 2013 at 9:10 pm #

I live in the Midwest, in a quasi-rural college town. I walk my dog out at a large lakeside park. I used to get exasperated about how people let their dogs shit all over the sidewalk until another person walking her dog pointed out the differences between coyote shit and dog shit. There are four-legged beasties out there which aren’t dogs, at least in my neck of the woods. And the coyotes are real jerks about crapping right on the sidewalk instead of in the grass. It doesn’t cross my eyes too much if I see dog poop in my yard, I’ve seen it before. There are so many things to get furious about in the world that I’d think I needed to get my priorities straight if dog poop on my shoe sent my blood pressure into the stratosphere, but to each their own. And personally, I’d rather that people just let the dog poop and leave it than throw plastic bags of shit around hiking trails. One of those is definitely worse for wildlife than the other, and I get that there aren’t trashcans and you don’t want to carry a bag of warm poop in your daypack for another 10 miles.

8. tarynft November 18, 2013 at 9:12 pm #

The trail next to my house is lined with full blue poop bags! Why even bother if you aren’t going to follow through! Arrrrghhh!

• Chelsea March 14, 2014 at 11:15 pm #

I’d rather it atleast be in a bag. I can’t even walk on the sidewalks, especially since it’s spring and as no one is capable of picking up their dog’s crap, there are puddles of melted snow with feces floating around.

It’s like the sidewalks here are made of feces. It’s the most disgusting thing I have ever seen. I’m so glad to be moving soon!!

9. kristennoelle November 18, 2013 at 9:24 pm #

“Shit Shaming Shenanigans”

Shit stalk them at the worst possible moment.
    At the end of a date ” Do you want to come inside?”
    :Date leans in for a kiss, stumbles into dog pile. Date nearly trips but instead causes dog dump owner to fall into it.:
    “No thanks, you smell like dog shit. Ugh, clean your yard!”

Hey, it could happen.. I hope

10. Shearaha November 18, 2013 at 9:50 pm #

I’ve actually taken to picking it up when I find what others have left. I dog walk in several HOA neighborhoods and I don’t need someone using me as the poop leaving scapegoat.

11. kkoira November 18, 2013 at 10:02 pm #

I totally agree. That said, overly aggressive people yelling at me to pick up my dog’s poop when I am already digging in my pocket/purse for a bag, or when I walk the 10 feet back to my car to grab one, make me want to pick it up and fling it at them. Or at least leave it for them to step in. I can’t say the number of times I’ve been yelled at to pick up my dog’s poop when I am already in the process of doing so, and that pisses me off pretty royally as well.

• AD December 23, 2014 at 6:10 am #

I recently had this guy be very persistent about picking up my dogs poo for me! My dog was pooing while I was getting stuff gathered getting ready for our walk in the park when the guy said “do you need a bag,, I have a bag”. I thanked him but said I have my own. Then while I was unrolling the bag from the roller he whips out his own bag and offers to pick up my dogs poo! I was stunned and said well if you really REALLY want to. The guy was being either very gentlemanly or was convinced I wasn’t going to do it.

12. Vicki Smith November 18, 2013 at 10:13 pm #

I travel for work, and my dog comes with me. My job covers the hotel, but not the pet fee. (At least the hotels have mostly quit calling it a freakin ‘deposit’). So I am grateful for the nicer sort of hotels that allow pets and don’t charge me over $25 for the dog. So what do I see? An asshat with a nice-looking black Standard Poodle wending his way from the street, under the portcochere, through the doors (over the dirt-catcher grid!), into the lobby – with his poor dog trying to eliminate an enormous shit the entire time. And of course, the poor dog, trying to catch up, stepped into poop on the grid and ground it in. Which meant the person who cleans the grid surely had to get Q-tips or something to get the poop out. I wanted to KILL that man because that hotel doesn’t HAVE a pet fee – so far. I saw him the next morning and I was going to give him a piece of my mind, but he was sitting with his wife who was looking totally embarrassed. It wasn’t her fault, so I let it go. But it stinkin’ HURT to let it go!

13. Jennifer November 18, 2013 at 10:31 pm #

Just for you, BusyBee.

• TheDogSnobs November 18, 2013 at 10:34 pm #

Ha! That is a Seattle-made video, and sadly, this rant is also Seattle-based. Maybe I should start blasting it on an old-school boombox hanging from Mr. T’s neck when we go on walks.

• Vicki Smith November 19, 2013 at 1:38 am #

Saw this a few days ago and was thinking of posting it! It’s great!

14. Diana November 19, 2013 at 1:35 am #

I have a little old man who lives in my neighborhood with his little dog and he NEVER cleans up. I have actually watched him drag his still-pooping dog across my driveway. Why not just leave one pile for me to pick up instead of adding to my work? Sheesh. I think it’s great you walk your dogs, but seriously? I routinely pick up extra poop on walks with my dogs. Deep down inside I hope that the positive poop karma will keep my shoes clean.

15. ThePayferPack November 19, 2013 at 5:17 am #

Then… there are the people who shop at the big box stores who are blind to their dog peeing and pooing and just keep on moving…

16. carol November 19, 2013 at 8:15 am #

Leaving a bag behind to pick up on your return, add a yellow sticky note (write on a pad that all pages say the same thing). Running-will pick up on my return-Promise. Then do it. Most folks should be OK about it. When I see folks in our neighborhood walking with a full bag I suggest they use my trash can, so they can enjoy their dog walk even more.

• Ginger November 20, 2013 at 12:20 am #

Yeah, the neat little bags don’t bother me nearly as much as the people who watch their dog poop and then just keep walking – at least if it in a bag there’s an indication that the person at least cares. Especially since I live in a city that doesn’t believe in public garbage cans in residential neighborhoods.

17. sammylou1 November 19, 2013 at 8:57 am #

Agility and obedience shows are pretty good – we have a limit at most shows as to how many dogs are allowed off lead in the exercise area – I dread to think what breed shows much be like though. Crufts is usually absolutely vile, poo smeared all along the pavements on the way from the car park (you’ll see showy people with five or six dogs just dragging them along as they poo in the middle of the path).

18. tide-eyed November 19, 2013 at 9:42 am #

I pick up other peoples’ dog crap EVERYWHERE I go!!! I always have spare bags on me, and I can fill one bag with like 10 piles of crap while I’m walking. It’s ridiculous! We have a hard enough time with ridiculous laws here in the city – try not to piss the people off more!

I rage even more about it on trails. Dogs are not allowed in national parks, and they aren’t allowed in state parks unless they’re on trail… Most of Utah is natural watershed areas, so they aren’t allowed in most of the canyons. Give me a break! We’ve only got a few places left to go. Don’t be the selfish asshole who screws it up for the rest of us!

I ALWAYS leave trails loaded down with poop bags. It anggeerrrsssssss me. *shiny devil horns of doom*

19. shan shan November 19, 2013 at 12:21 pm #

i stepped in someone else’s dog poop, as i went to pick up my dog’s poop. bummer. kind of ruined my whole day.

20. Pam Lowrey November 19, 2013 at 4:03 pm #

This is one if my biggest pet peeves too & I used to rail on my brother who was one of THOSE PEOPLE who never cleaned up after his dog. But sometimes it is difficult to find poop in the Fall, mixed in with all the leaves, especialy at night, even with a flashlight & even though you only took your eyes off the spot for a second to find the place to rip the poop bag off from the roll without ripping the whole stinking bag in half b/c you bought the cheap brand of poop bags… Yes, it was one of those days. :-/

• Ginger November 20, 2013 at 12:26 am #

One of my peeves too, but there are some legitimate reasons to overlook it….

Like if you don’t have a yard so your dog only gets to poop on walks, and it is -40F outside and your dog takes a poop but it ends up being diarrhea and it freezes solid to the ice within seconds of leaving his butt and your only option is (literally) to go get an ice pick because there is no way you’ll be able to pick it up wearing a mitt and if you take your mitts off for any more than 10 seconds you’ll get frostbite without even touching the icy-poopsicle…

But people should at least make an effort!

21. Catherine Duke November 20, 2013 at 5:52 am #

BLARG! YES I feel the rage!! I ran out of bags on a walk exactly ONCE, and I used a leaf to pick up the poop, and oh my GAWD it was gross trying to find the nearest trash can.

The ONLY time I left poop behind was when Jasper had runny poop in the dark, which I stepped on, slipped on, and fell into on my hands and knees while trying to pick it up. I was freezing and in tears and I knew the sprinklers would be on later so I just said “eff this”. I DO pick up an extra pile of poop almost every day when I’m out, so hopefully that offsets it a little. 😦

22. 25castleson25clouds November 20, 2013 at 1:48 pm #

Please hide in the bushes and then jump out!!

23. Noelle November 21, 2013 at 12:49 am #

The big issue I have with people leaving dog poop in the doggy area is that my dog has stepped in it before without me noticing and then tracked it into the house -.- I can deal with washing it off my shoes but I can’t always notice when my dogs paws have poop on them. I have only ever left really runny poop once and it basically seeped into the dirt. (Trust me it was basically all liquid I had to try and find something not liquid to do a fecal sample and there was none ):)

One thing this blog reminded me of was this time this lady thought I wasn’t going to pick the poop up and yelled at me “HEY pick it up!” … Lady I was clearly walking towards the poop bag dispenser. Made me mad. I wanted to pick the poop up leave it on her car and wrote a note saying “I picked it up” but Im not mean :p I know she thought she was doing the right thing but she could of at least waited to see if I was walking home or if I was walking to the poop bag dispenser.

24. Lauren January 5, 2014 at 12:07 am #

Thankfully, I live in a rural area where we tend to leave the poop alone, it helps the grass grow & nobody can smell it because they’re too busy holding their nose at the smell of the alpaca pats.

25. Adele Donahue December 23, 2014 at 6:58 pm #

okay, there are exceptions. Like when your dog has explosive diarrhea and is squatting 20 times throughout the walk and nothing is coming out except water. Tell me how you are supposed to bag water! And when we are out hiking and my dog poos in the woods meanwhile I’m stepping around ginormous piles of horse poop. Horse owners, you pick up your horses poop, and I’ll pick up my dog’s poop from the woods. A fellow hiker said it best “leave it to humans to take something so natural and wrap it in plastic”. And I swear there’s been times where dog is off leash at park, I see him poo, I turn around to get bag and I can’t find it! I look, I swear I do. I try, but sometimes it is lost. And you try walking your dog along a dark suburban road in the fall and your dog poops on a bunch of leaves and try finding it!