22 Jul

We totally understand the the importance of speutering for the general public.  Most people are totally not ready or responsible enough to take on an intact dog (we’re looking at you, people who bring an in-heat bitch to a dog park).

Bitches be crazy.

We know that there are plenty of idiots out there with intact dogs who either have plans to have litters of puppies “just because”, don’t want to neuter them because it threatens their manhood (pro tip: it’s not your balls they are removing), or are just too lazy to get it done.  But, it is easy to forget that there are other people who keep intact dogs that are responsible enough to manage everything that it comes with and aren’t the type of people responsible for shelter overcrowding and whatnot.

It’s even gray… Mind blown.

Two of these people happen to be Dog Snobs.  That’s right, both Potnoodle and Fang have intact male dogs.  (BusyBee, for several reasons, including both owning shelter dogs and plain not wanting to look at dog danglies all day doesn’t ever plan on having an intact dog).  In today’s post, Potnoodle and Fang will address the neuter nuts and defend their right to keep an intact dog.

Exactly like that.

Potnoodle

Hi, my name is Potnoodle and I have an intact male dog. That’s right, my dog has managed to hold on to his family jewels in the rampant time of spay/neuter propaganda. I’m going to let you in on a little secret.

Don’t worry, it’s not the book. That’s not a secret, that’s just stupid.

My dog is not intact because of health reasons, my dog is not intact because I have a weird macho attachment to his balls, my dog isn’t intact because of drive. My dog is intact simply because he hasn’t given me a reason to neuter him yet (Despite some threats with toe nail clippers). For some wild and crazy reason, I’m not all rushed to put my dog under anesthesia for a medical procedure that is 100% unnecessary if you’re a decently responsible dog owner. Somehow, magically, he’s managed to avoid unwanted pregnancies with other dogs.

*cough*

Wait, that’s not magic… that’s me being a decent pet owner. So when you see me walking around PetWhatever, and for some reason you’re staring at my dog’s balls… go ahead and judge me, because I’m probably judging you for your lunging asshat of a dog.

Folksy, yet scathing.

Fang

Dearest minions, it is indeed true. M the Malinois has testicles.

Testicles (Testi-Klees), a legend in his own mind.

Why? Well, if you approach me in the street (And if you’re asking about my dog’s balls in the street you have issues. Really, you need to seek a counselor.) I’ll tell you he’s a show dog. It’s technically true. He has those very expensive CH letters in front of his official name.

Roughly the same price to win with about half the violence.

He also is unlikely to ever set foot back in a conformation ring. I’ll also tell you I have an agreement with his breeder to leave him intact, which is also technically true, but in perfect honesty she really doesn’t care if I neuter or not. My Malinois is intact because I don’t have a reason to neuter him and why fix what isn’t broken? He’s healthy, well-mannered, and I’m a moderately responsible adult who can manage his base instincts, which to my observation mostly consist of licking neutered males’ junk and trying to poop the highest. Yeah, it’s really thrilling.

Essentially.

My only complaint, other than the jarring morning greeting of balls being flung around my face and his near inability to gain weight is that rescues have a sore point in regard to balls.

With a little bit of fur, that’s a solid reenactment of M’s balls smacking a rescue coordinator in the face. True story.

I am basically unable to adopt any dog locally because my male is intact. Logic that one out, minions. I am apparently “not an animal advocate”. Erm… okay then. I didn’t think my dog’s testicles had much to do with my value as a person but be my guest. I will however judge your personal values for trying to stare at my dog’s junk.

Really… Stop that. It’s weird and you’re making him uncomfortable.

Anyone else get verbally castrated (Ha! A Pun) over their dog’s testicles? Think we’re awful people for keeping our creatures intact? Drop us a line or commiserate in the comments.

89 Responses to “Neuter Nuts: aka Your investment in the location of my dog’s testicles is strange in a not-fun way.”

1. KT July 22, 2013 at 10:02 pm #

I tried to adopt a 10 yr old (neutered) cat from a rescue but was turned down…because my male dog is intact. I have 2 other dogs and a cat (all fixed), spend thousands on vet care each year, have a perfectly clean, pet-friendly home, and feed my pets better than myself, but I’m still promoting breeders and filling shelters because my 18 month old show dog still has his balls. Ok. That makes sense.

• TheDogSnobs July 22, 2013 at 10:12 pm #

Oh I get it. I was all set to adopt a 2 year old male ACD. I was apparently “The perfect adopter” because of breed experience and an active club membership for performance activities etc… Nope. If I agreed to neuter M, they’d give him to me as soon as the certificate of neuter was signed.Ten months being warehoused because no foster home could keep him busy enough and the perfect home comes along and because of a set of balls on a show dog I can’t adopt him…

In the rescue coordinator’s defense, he pushed hard for an exception to be made. The rescue founder however wouldn’t budge. He’s since been adopted (I was pushing dog people I know to look into him) but I think he’s gone to a pet home. I can only hope it works out for him. He’s a handful and a half and I would have loved to have him.

• H. Houlahan July 23, 2013 at 12:21 am #

Wait, ARE YOU ME?

Oh, okay, almost me. That’s a relief.

Yeah, the local shelter for which I once upon a time was morally fit to foster said NO CAT FOR YOU because of my SAR dog’s uterus.

Apparently my unspayed bitch would miscegenate with the neutered senior cat. I think I missed that lecture in mammalian reproductive biology.

Also, it woulda been okay if I just couldn’t afford to have her spayed. Then they would fix me up with a cut-rate dog hysterectomy and I could have the kitteh. Because it is far more responsible to adopt a new pet when you can’t afford to care for the ones you have than it is to deliberately own a pair of dog ovaries.

Also, I know a secret that I’ll let them in on.

It is really easy to get a cat.

It is not so easy to adopt out a senior cat.

When you piss off the professionals who have been referring people to your shelter for 20 years, you make your job a lot harder.

• windchyme November 7, 2014 at 7:36 pm #

You know, rescues whine about the lack of adopters then they do THIS. They can keep and feed those rescues themselves as far as I am concerned and see how they like that…I’m so fed up.

2. Melissa Barron July 22, 2013 at 10:18 pm #

Thank you for using the term Intact. I hate it when people say they got their dog fixed, when they are actually doing the exact opposite of fixing them.

3. Vicki Smith July 22, 2013 at 10:21 pm #

I had an intact male Doberman who was perfectly civilized with cats, parrots, people in wheelchairs, etc. He was an up and coming agility dog who was ready to start MACH points until he died of cardio. .However, my agility club – who shall go unnamed because they don’t even deserve to be named – thought he should be neutered because they thought so. He was nipping at me when I wasn’t clear on the course. But if a BC or an Aussie did the same thing – oh, that was oaky. Herding breed, don’t you know, and nothing ‘vicious’ about it.

4. Jade July 22, 2013 at 10:21 pm #

Lol, I thought you were going to say that the rescue was worried about creating cat-dogs. 😛

• Mel Carlin March 10, 2016 at 3:15 am #

Wouldn’t that be along the lines of Cat-a-poos & Cat-HuaHuas?

5. bgszap2 July 22, 2013 at 10:25 pm #

Not everyone cares where their un-neutered dogs are (or their unspayed bitches.) I cannot begin to tell you the number of bitches in season I have encountered being walked on a flexi through the park, with males lunging at her from every side. People have no concept of how quick a slutty bitch can be or a determined male. wow. I, too have un-neutered males. I have two. I had three but one went down in the rear and for (really) health reasons (he dragged them bloody) we had them removed. Both my intact boys are show dogs. One flunked dog-show 101 refusing to put up his tail but that doesn’t mean he cannot do other things and be a desirable stud to QUALIFIED females– show history, titles, pedigrees I can track, health clearances. The other all-boy is but a year old and also a show dog, we hope. As to shelters and adoptions: a friend of mine–a Veterinarian by trade– was turned down at our local shelter because she was away from home a lot: nevermind that her dogs go to work WITH her. Ask me why my dog is intact? I dunno, why are you?

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 4:42 PM, The Dog Snobs

• Pat F. July 27, 2013 at 8:11 pm #

The few times that I have seen an in-heat bitch parading around the dog park have really triggered the Crazy Dog Lady in me. Mainly because I’m running hard to corral and leash my intact male dog before he sires an unplanned mixed-breed litter on the idiots’ bitch; but also because I’ve owned intact in-heat bitches and the last thing I would have done is brought them to a dog park while they were in season. So I leash my intact male dog, unleash my inner Crazy Dog Lady, and give the poor bitch’s owner(s) some unsolicited advice about how even neutered boys could start a fight over their girl, not to mention other girls getting annoyed with her, in reaction to her hormones. And tell them not to bring the in-heat bitch back to the dog park until she is out of season and preferably spayed (unless she’s a future brood bitch of good quality who will be responsibly health-tested and bred, etc.). Thankfully, where I live, there are not too many intact bitches over the age of 6 months. I also advise owners of intact male puppies, whatever their breed or mix, not to be in a flaming hurry to neuter them; let them reach at least a year unless they’re obviously dog-aggressive or whatever.

Few people give me any flack for having an intact male at the dog park or other doggy hangouts; possibly because he’s such a mellow boy with other dogs and loves people. The one person I ever remember making noises about Dogs Should Be Neutered had a neutered rescue dog that used to bully other dogs (I don’t think he was vicious, but he did throw his weight around a bit much, stressing other dogs, without his owner taking any steps to control him)…

• AD December 24, 2014 at 8:08 pm #

you have a intact male dog in the dog park (should be not allowed in my opinion) and you complain about irresponsible people with their intact females? Hypocrite much? It takes two to tango, people of intact females are probably complaining about the irresponsibility of owners on intact males. I can’t take my dog to dog parks because of how he responds to intact males (ahem people like you), because I am responsible and have to keep him away from irresponsible dog owners. So might I recommend you be responsible and keep your dog away from irresponsible dog owners aka keep your darn (being really nice here) intact dog out of the darn (really hard for me to be nice) dog park!

6. olyhillaryHillary July 22, 2013 at 10:32 pm #

Thank you!! My male is co-owned with his breeder and intact and he’s less trouble than many neutered males I know! He’s made it to just over 2 without knocking anyone up, or humping anyone’s leg, or starting a fight… But he’s furry so no one knows he has them so I don’t really get any guff for it.
    I’m tired of the shaming for being a responsible pet owner that doesn’t buy into the “you must be responsible THIS way” (aka speuter/rescue only) propaganda. I think it was responsible to get a dog that fit my lifestyle perfectly, that can do the performance sports I’m interested in because he’s built for them and LOVES them, that will never sire an unplanned litter, and that is a joy to train and live with.
    He’s also what many of you would call a designer breed, since, like many breeds, his breed started out as a mix of others. His just did it 30 years ago instead of 50 or 200 or 500 years ago, so has the stigma more than some of the designer breeds people just call breeds now…

7. thundersminions July 22, 2013 at 10:33 pm #

I get this every day! I have 3 intact working female dogs, and an intact male dog, as well as a neutered male dog. Guess who has more interest in the in heat females? hint: not the intact one. also guess how many litters i have had. hint: none. it is not hard to be responsible with intact dogs. it is an inconvenience, yes, but not hard. i was fortunate enough to find a rescue that allowed me to adopt an intact male, and keep him that way, despite having an intact male and female at the time. the neutered male was neutered only because he was already undergoing a surgery, so i combined 2 surgeries into 1, for the better of his health. but apparently, i am a horrible person.

8. 5dogs4Jen July 22, 2013 at 10:37 pm #

Unfortunately its not just rescues. Unless your dog is registered with AKC as a purebred, and came from AKC registered parents….if you want to play performance sports in AKC they have to be altered. Mix breeds must be altered, and in order to ILP you have to alter…..Hmmmm, a registry that dictates a major medical procedure…..yeah no.

I have a buddy with awesome dogs, intact pit bulls registered with ADBA. She can’t play AKC performance sports with her dogs because AKC doesn’t recognize the breed, and thus she would have to S/N in order to register. Crappy gig! She’d do more in a weekend to promote responsible dog ownership than a lot of folks do in their lifetime, but…..AKC won’t let her play. 😦 Too bad!

• yessirree! July 23, 2013 at 12:23 am #

she can play in other venues without being altered. There is CPE, USDAA and NADAC.

• Stacey July 24, 2013 at 7:44 pm #

There’s ASCA too. You can do obedience/rally, agility, and herding with them.

• H. Houlahan July 23, 2013 at 12:32 am #

The requirement that dogs of non-AKC breeds be sterile in order to play reindeer games works double duty.

Keeps anyone from perpetuating the impure. Not really. But they think it does.

Puts the screws to breed clubs that have been resisting the hostile takeovers. (Not pit bulls, ‘cuz AKC won’t touch those with a 10-foot ILP, but pretty much all the others.) It just about guarantees that there will be some splinter group more interested in dog sports than breed integrity who can team up with puppymillers to “ask” to have Alsace invaded.

9. Hillary (@olyhillary) July 22, 2013 at 10:39 pm #

10. Jenna July 22, 2013 at 11:02 pm #

I have an intact male Whippet, and he’s not being shown, and he’s not being neutered without a damn good reason at any point. I live in hickland Alabama so most dogs have their balls, so nobody ever comments.

• TheDogSnobs July 22, 2013 at 11:18 pm #

I also live in Hickland, Alabama. *waves* – Potnoodle

• yessirree! July 23, 2013 at 12:21 am #

does your whippet run free? If so, how many females has he gotten pregnant?

11. Selma July 22, 2013 at 11:04 pm #

Well done.

I have encountered missionary ladies who want to castrate the world. They seem to have quite a few issues, likely related to their fathers or ex-husbands. Or something because they are zealous to say the least. My intact male dog and I are fine, thank you. There is no significant benefit to males with neutering and lots of downside from a health standpoint.

The mythology around intact males is, unfortunately, just that. I’ve had both over the decades and have noticed NO appreciable difference in the supposedly testosterone-driven behaviour patterns, be they castrated or entire.

In females, it makes sense, partly for health once they’ve reached maturity but mostly because most people aren’t up to the challenge of keeping an intact bitch as you so nicely illustrated.

• Ipleadthefifth July 22, 2013 at 11:29 pm #

It doesn’t make all that much sense for females either. Spaying greatly increases the risk of a bitch becoming incontinent, which is one big reason why girls get turned over to shelters. I have a double-coated breed, and spaying changes the girls’ coats from a plush fur coat to a Phyllis Diller-ish grooming nightmare that few pet owners want to maintain. My puppy contract now specifically leaves the decision of whether or not to speuter a pet to the owners, and requires that they wait until the puppy is a year old. They are required to prevent a pet from reproducing, but it’s their choice whether to alter the animal or control its access to potential mates.

• second the notion July 23, 2013 at 12:19 am #

I have females that have been spayed, none have ever had an incontinence issue and all have great coats! One lived to be 15.5 before she passed away because of a stroke. I have another that is 11 right now and also in great shape. I also have some unaltered female hunting dogs. It is a real bummer when I can’t use them to hunt because they are in heat, or that I have to be VERY careful with them so they don’t get out. I have seen many unaltered, female hunting dogs end up pregnant and in the shelter because the owners didn’t take proper care of them–mostly hounds which have 10 to 13 puppies. I also had a friend’s great hunting female die of pyometra because she was unaltered.

• Selma July 23, 2013 at 12:34 am #

You are spot on re: incontinence and the spoiled coat. It can lead to cognitive dysfunction and an increased tendency to bite in bitches according to some studies. Increased territoriality and nuisance barking have also been noted in altered females. But at least there is some health benefit overall, unlike in males.

• Lovemyintactmale July 23, 2013 at 2:06 am #

Because clearly preventing incontinence and a bad coat are MUCH more important that preventing pyometra and mammary cancer….

• windchyme November 7, 2014 at 7:44 pm #

I applaud your puppy contract- LOUDLY. Now THAT is more like it…now if a bunch of other breeders (not all of them mind you) get a brain….

• Doranna July 23, 2013 at 4:13 am #

I’ve definitely noticed a difference on two occasions. Still, it was my choice to neuter those dogs, just as it’s currently my choice to keep one of my boys intact–for reasons that made/make sense for those individual dogs. My choice, my responsibility. Since they’re my dogs, that all kind of makes sense.

ER vet about to remove a tick from dog’s eardrum: Your dog still has his testicles!
      Me, in great shock: You’re kidding!

Not that I don’t advocate speuter (I’m stealing that from Jennifer’s comment, it is so awesome) for those who don’t want to deal with the responsibilities of intact animals–or won’t.

Last year I pondered fostering for local rescues, or taking on a elderly dog for “final years” care. I checked out their applications…then backed slowly away before turning to flee. I might have made it through the process or not, but the attitude dripping through…Do Not Want.

12. Jennifer July 22, 2013 at 11:35 pm #

I have two intact bitch puppies at the house (they’re just now coming up on seven months old), and I cannot tell you the barrage of “are you going to spay her?” I get every time I go to the dog park. Three months ago, I would politely and patiently explain that the Vizsla is a show dog, and the mix belongs to a breeder who hunts more than he shows, and that both belonged to the breeder, so it wasn’t my call.

I have since graduated to the exasperated, “I haven’t decided yet. Are you spayed? No? Maybe you should look into it. I hear it fixes personality issues.”

Needless to say, I generally get the dog park to myself when I go.

(Although, this being said, very little tops the looks on peoples’ faces when my trainer drives up with her eight month old unaltered – and I mean unaltered, as his tail isn’t docked, either – Rottweiler boy. Her standard response to most of the ‘inquiries’ she gets is that she has no more intention of removing his feet or his face than his tail or his balls.)

• Jennifer July 22, 2013 at 11:48 pm #

This being said, I should note that I do generally recommend that the people around me speuter their dogs. Simply because I live in Hickland, GA (it’s Alabama’s incestuous cousin) where RESPONSIBLE dog owners are few and far between. These people are not intelligent enough – nor WILLING – to curb their dogs; either from a poop standpoint or from a roaming/breeding standpoint. The poop I can deal with, but their kind of people ARE what is flooding the shelters around here with unwanted litters.

However, I can generally tell a responsible dog owner from a hillbilly moron in about five minutes of talking. So I’m not on the “ZOMG SPEUTER OR ELSE!!!!!111” bandwagon. Just saying.

13. Jessica Corbett July 22, 2013 at 11:39 pm #

My favorite is, “We can’t adopt a dog to you because we don’t want any unwanted litters to happen.” Because a spayed or neutered dog is going to magically produce a litter of puppies somehow. Medical miracles happening now at your local shelter! Birthing without reproductive organs at 2pm, Sperm production without testicles at 3pm! Worse is when they won’t adopt a cat to you for the same reason. Like they’ll somehow breed with your dog and produce genetic freaks of nature.

14. Julie T July 23, 2013 at 12:03 am #

Thank you! I have an intact male and 4 intact bitches. Even with my not-always-using-common-sense husband and kids, we manage to prevent unwanted pregnancies by simply being responsible. I used to require that puppies from my occasional litters be spayed or neutered, but have since changed that. They are still sold on a limited registration, and are still required to sign a contract stating that they will not allow a breeding, but I now leave the decision of “speutering” up to the pet owner. I also used to care about what other people thought about it. With age comes not really giving a shit what others think. They’re my dogs. I am very responsible with them. I will leave them intact as I see fit. I also have 2 older bitches who have been spayed (one due to a health issue, the other because I gave into pressure from others long ago). Both of those girls have issues with incontinence now. It’s occasional, but it’s no fun waking up in the night with a warm wet foot and realizing that one of the girls (who isn’t allowed on the bed in the first place without an invitation) has wet the bed. Makes the hubby real happy when that happens…not.

15. Julia July 23, 2013 at 12:07 am #

We have 3 and a half year old unaltered champion show dog, currently working on his GCH, and he is THE biggest sucky baby I’ve ever met! He loves everyone and he cries his fool head off if he isn’t allowed to play with every other dog he sees. The worst we get is the drooly chatters from him when he smells lady pee that he likes. Big whoop. Oh, and the fact that his balls seem to watch you wherever you move in the room is a little weird… it’s like a creepy painting that you swear the eyes are moving..

• Hillary (@olyhillary) July 23, 2013 at 3:10 am #

“The drooly chatters” has to be the best term for it I’ve ever heard! Totally calling it that from now on.. My boy likes older ladies and has also gotten his chatter on for his true love, a neutered 8 year old boy of the same breed that alas will never be his.

• Linda July 23, 2013 at 5:09 am #

Hilary, are you perchance referring to Appley–the neutered boy all the intact boys love?

• Hillary (@olyhillary) July 23, 2013 at 6:10 pm #

Yes Linda! Appley’s the one…

16. cabrissi July 23, 2013 at 12:09 am #

For those who have been turned down when applying to adopt another dog because yours was in-tact… you’ll love this. I have six dogs – five desexed and one boy being shown and in tact. The last dog I showed and retired was desexed. My cats are desexed. My rabbits are desexed. I’m denied on the basis that my sons non-desexed male guinea pigs – who are indoor only, living on a house in the middle of several acres and hence many kilometers distance from the nearest girl guinea pigs and despite in the 4 years we’ve had them have never yet managed a biological impossibility of impregnating themselves or nonexistent girl guinea pigs. >_<

I also once had a boarding kennel refuse to board my 3 dogs together because the one girl was in-tact and everyone knew in-tact bitches always fight and kill any desexed dogs. I pointed to them in the back of my car snuggled up blissfully together and pointed out that for dogs who were bound to fight and kill each other they were dreadfully lazy in getting around to it given the many years they'd lived together as best friends including a stint in Quarantine when I moved from the US to Aus where they were kenneled together. Can't cure stupid sadly.

• mulewagon November 28, 2013 at 2:28 am #

Generally I’m very, very in favor of neutering anything that moves–due to living in an area that seethes with stray dogs–but neutering guinea pigs? I didn’t know you could do that! Requiring that crosses the line into crazy.

• Mel Carlin March 10, 2016 at 3:32 am #

You never know…that neutered male cat from the shelter might just knock up your intact male Guinea Pigs… just sayin’ ; )

17. Cecile Tarr July 23, 2013 at 12:13 am #

I totally agree that if you are a responsible person you can handle an in-tact male or female dog. Personally, I don’t want either, but that is my opinion. I also volunteer for a shelter and can defend them about wanting dogs fixed, even other dogs in the home. Now, I will say that the shelter that I volunteer for, probably would have made the exception to the rule about fixed dogs, if your dog is the show dog like you say he is, then they probably would have made the exception. Realize that they hear the line “I know how to handle my in-tact dog…” over and over and then there are fights in the house, or the dog gets out, etc.

• windchyme November 7, 2014 at 7:52 pm #

Ehhh, well then they can keep their rescue dogs….and see how well that works out….

18. Laura July 23, 2013 at 12:49 am #

I am a veterinarian. I have elected to specialize in Shelter Medicine Practice (which is basically herd health for companion animals if you haven’t heard of it). After 4 years in vet school, I spent an additional 3 in a residency as well as continuing coursework toward an MPH. Do I support early spay/neuter for shelter animals? Yes. It is often very difficult to follow up on intact animals after they are adopted in order to ensure they aren’t adding to the shelter population after reaching sexual maturity. Oh, did I mention I also worked in private practice prior to the residency? In private practice, I counseled my clients about responsible pet ownership, including helping them determine if and when they should alter their pets. It was (and still is) my preference to wait until at least 4 months of age for spay/neuter surgery, however, that isn’t a luxury we often have in getting shelter animals adopted. I have several friends who are responsible owners of intact dogs, some of which are responsible dog breeders (who ensure the dogs they breed are adding to the health of their breed and are not in it for the money, cause let’s face it, if someone is breeding dogs for the money, they’re doing it wrong). I have no problem with responsible pet owners who elect to keep their pets intact. There are health trade offs either way, intact or altered, and responsible owners make sure they are educated and make an informed decision. Not all of us in the sheltering/animal rescue world are obsessed about the location of your dogs’ testicles. Just sayin’ (but metal testicles hanging from the back of a truck… now that’s just plain wrong).

• Bronwyn July 24, 2013 at 12:31 pm #

LOL – I totally agree on the metal testicles hanging from the back of the truck! I always wonder what the reason is for that… not like a scrotum is attractive to look at!! It is really disturbing.

• Bronwyn July 24, 2013 at 12:40 pm #

Oh… and I do have an intact male show dog as well. But just because my dog has his balls, doesn’t mean I want to see balls swinging from your trailer hitch of some weirdo’s truck!! LOL

• Stacey July 24, 2013 at 8:02 pm #

There are better answers to unwanted litters than removing a significant part of the dog’s endocrine system. Why can’t you tie tubes and/or remove the uterus and leave the dog’s gonads alone?

You know those really crazy high-drive dogs that need a lot of work and are difficult to adopt? I would LOVE to get one from a shelter, but until shelters catch up with the current medical problems speutering causes and/or is highly correlated with, I will not get another dog from the shelter. (Love does not pay $,$$$ for ACL surgery.)

• AD December 24, 2014 at 8:17 pm #

might be being a bit naïve here but what does “fixing” have to do with ACL surgery? That’s a new one. I’ve never heard of dogs needing ACL surgery just because they are neutered. And I know of too many “fixed” dogs that have never needed ACL surgery.

19. marylanddogfederation July 23, 2013 at 1:22 am #

Wait, you forgot to even mention the fact that the cost differential for licensing (taxing) intact versus sterilized dogs is a real money maker for municipalities.

20. Diana July 23, 2013 at 3:05 am #

The Fascist Speuterites are a direct result of concerted marketing (social and conventional) taking a decent idea too far. (“Hey, if you don’t want to be a responsible dog owner at least don’t propagate.” Though it’s always puzzled me why we don’t do matching desexing procedures for that.) It also strikes me as odd that many of the same rabidly anti-cosmetic procedure folks are more than happy to rip open your bitch’s abdomen to take her ovaries for convenience sake. Then again, I do actually know someone who said out loud (not joking) that her intact male could not have impregnated her intact female because, wait for it, she always put panties on her before leaving them alone, loose, in the house together when she was in heat. Oh my.

• Alyssa July 30, 2013 at 5:28 pm #

Ha! Good one. I had a lady tell me her putdoor female cat couldn’t be pregnant because she only lets her out at night and “everyone else only lets their cats out during the day.” Wow.

• windchyme November 7, 2014 at 7:55 pm #

“I do actually know someone who said out loud (not joking) that her intact male could not have impregnated her intact female because, wait for it, she always put panties on her before leaving them alone, loose, in the house together when she was in heat. ”

LOLOLOL….didn’t keep ME from getting pregnant either…just saying…

• Mel Carlin March 10, 2016 at 3:46 am #

ROTFL – Knowing someone who went grocery shopping leaving her intact male crated, in the basement in a room with a closed door with a locked gate at the top of the basement stairs & her in-season bitch (who had been bred to a carefully selected male the day before) crated behind another closed dog upstairs only to come home to the pair lying on the living room couch smoking cigarettes & looking inordinately pleased with themselves! Punchline here is DNA proved it was the “smoking” dog who fathered every pup – not the planned sire… at least they were all the same breed…

21. Sam July 23, 2013 at 4:57 am #

Thankfully it’s not (yet!) that bad in the UK – and we have wonderful behaviourists such as Sarah Whitehead who give talks on whether to castrate or not (which turns out mostly not, BTW).

Inka is ‘entire’, and will remain that way unless his health deteriorates because of his testicles; which won’t happen until he is an “old man”, and may not happen at all; and that is the same stance I will take for all of my dogs – including the very, very small behavioural reason into the reasoning behind my decision for future younger dogs too.

22. Elaine Miller Summerhill July 23, 2013 at 10:43 am #

Thank God I have an informed vet who counsels that it is best to wait until a dog’s growth plates are closed before any speuter surgery, especially for large breed dogs! Mine will remain intact unless health issues dictate otherwise. The hormones are there for a reason and I’m not willing to risk increased incidence of killer cancers: hemangiosarcoma, osteosarcoma, etc. Just because a dog is intact, that doesn’t mean it will be bred.

• Jo Kilby July 30, 2013 at 7:54 pm #

The testosterone is there for a reason. My ACD recently tore his cruciate ligament, I started to do some research into why this condition is becoming so common. The result of the research was clear dogs who are neutered especially early are at more risk of these possibly degenerative conditions. My boy (currently ex show dog no plans to breed, holds great weight and condition, has never humped anything except a neutered male lab, has never marked in the house or shown aggression to a human) is entire, I am hoping his cruciate injury is a pure sporting injury (as you know fetch is 110% activity for a cattle dog) and not the degenerative condition so common in neutered males.

23. Dayna Dawn Small (AKA Dayna Barter) July 23, 2013 at 12:44 pm #

I have Cardigans, and if someone is staring at their balls then they are lying on the ground to do so, which means they REALLY need to have a talk with themselves about some things. 😉

The recent research I’ve seen on the topic all points to neutering — especially early neutering — being counter indicated in dogs. I encourage all of my puppy buyers to read this: http://www.caninesports.com/uploads/1/5/3/1/15319800/spay_neuter_considerations_2013.pdf

24. Beth July 23, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

I guess am a spay neuter nazi because in rescue I deal with the day to day aftermath of people just not giving a damn and dumping pups, pregnant dogs and new litters at shelters that just cannot handle the influx. Both due to the numbers and the potential illnesses involved. I see the piles of dogs killed daily by y shelter friends and see the devastating person toll this senseless killing causes as it ripples throughout the shelter and rescue communities.
    I have breeder friends that have unaltered dogs and I would put these two in the same ranks as responsible owners if they do in fact have “control” of their boys. I must admit I rarely see that and do not want to be the person on the other end of the leash with a 100 plus lb male as he comes upon an unaltered female in heat, walking down a street.
    I altered my own dogs for health reasons-my girl is a puppy mill bitch that got out alive, pregnant, miscarried and faced an infection and increase in cancer risk due to pregnancies and heat cycles. It also helped lessen her “I am the queen of this place and will take you down to survive mentality”. My boy was late neutered for basically the same reason, high testosterone, marking behavior, aggression to other dogs–well he still does that but less so and at 10 lbs he has a strong Napoleon complex. Yes convenient for me but in the long run, based in cancer data and older unaltered cancer dogs I have had the privilege of helping in rescue.
    In rescue we spay and neuter to stop the cycle, though adopters may be good dog owners we cannot be 100% sure their animals will not accidentally reproduce. I have seen females get mated thru a fence, I have seen males go to extreme lengths to get to a female, I have seen what is an equivalent to doggie rape by a lose male with the owner just leash walking their own dog down the street (in this instance the female and owner were both injured trying to flee then stop the mating-the female was not actively looking and was in fact extremely fearful, small and “attacked by a much larger dog”.
    Keep in mind, BOTH these folks have males, they don’t have to deal with the aftermath if their dogs accidentally get out and go on a mating spree, they may never even know it happened? I do believe altering a persons dog is their own choice as long as they know the facts and take full responsibility for that animal throughout its lifetime.
    BTW, as a rescue director, i have had a change of heart and I do not automatically deny an adoption to a home with an unaltered animal. I weigh each situation on its own merits after interviews and home visits.

• Christal April 18, 2014 at 2:29 pm #

I know this is an older post, but I agree, Beth. As a foster for a rescue, we require that all dogs and cats in your home be altered, up to date on all recommended vaccinations, current on heartworm preventative, and indoor companions. Some people think these requirements are extreme. To those people, I suggest they look elsewhere. While there are some responsible owners that have intact dogs (not any that I have personally met), the truth is most of them are not. It’s rare that we find someone with intact dogs that meets the other standards we set forth. Usually, the same people with intact dogs also haven’t been to a vet in years, and they have Fido chained to a tree in the back yard. The truth is that you also cannot guarantee that your dog will never get pregnant or impregnate another dog. I think of it this way. All of my pets are altered. None of them are a flight risk, and I watch them any time they are outside or in public. Even though I always supervise, all of them are also microchipped. Why? It’s because you never know what might happen. The same thing is true with intact dogs or cats. What if someone breaks in your home while you are at work and leaves the door open? It’s unlikely, but it happens. I know a lady who got in a car wreck. It busted her windows, and her dog jumped out. The point is that none of us can predict the future.

Most rescues are strong advocates of spaying and neutering. We feel is it a very important part of being a responsible pet owner. We make exceptions for two reasons. One, your pet cannot be altered for medical reasons. This must be the opinion of a licensed vet, not just something you decided. Second, an intact show dog from a family with a show history will not get your app denied.

Like Beth, most people that don’t alter their pets have males. They don’t have to deal with an unplanned litter if it happens. I live in Alabama, and I find most of the people that don’t alter have a strange obsession with their dog having testicles. I always hear I don’t want to take away his manhood. Please stop. Just stop.

I spay and neuter because I feel the medical benefits outweigh the risk of what is usually a very simple procedure. With all the other vets bills I rack up with one long hair chihuahua, three Pomeranians, a French Bulldog, and a cat, I don’t really want to run the risk of one of the girls having a prolapsed uterus or one of the boys getting testicular cancer. My pets also have annual dentals (all except the Chi, since he was adopted at 11 years old and only has two teeth). It also requires anesthesia,so I felt like a quick spay/neuter wasn’t a big deal.

All that being said, if you choose not to spay and neuter, that’s totally your business, However, don’t be upset we turn down your application when it clearly states our adoption criteria on the same website from which you got the application.

• windchyme November 7, 2014 at 8:09 pm #

You haven’t checked out the dangers to traditional altering apparently. I am one of those responsible owners of an intact dog…and yes I can and have guaranteed that my dogs will never reproduce without permission. I have yet to give permission. And you can bring a female in heat right up nose to nose with my intact boy and he won’t break proper, respectful behavior though he will be very interested and wagging his nub…I know, it’s happened. Nevermind the intact male WITH the female in heat that was allowed to rush up nose to nose with my dog, promptly tore free from it’s 8 year old handler (and this male was a solid St. Bernard) and attacked my rottweiler while knocking me to the ground.

And I promise you I won’t be upset at being turned down because I am not interested in applying. You guys can keep and feed those rescues since obviously you are better for them than anyone else possibly could be. Works for me. If I want to rescue a dog there is no shortage of dogs outside of shelters needing rescue every day (have one here laying next to me now- INTACT FEMALE who will eventually get an ovary sparing surgery to make her sterile- eventually)…otherwise I’ll just keep buying my purebred dogs. It’s easier for me to get a puppy from a million places than for you to place an older dog…

• AD December 24, 2014 at 8:38 pm #

I’ll never understand rescues’ policies like this. And trust me I HEAVILY judge people who have intact animals (call me a neuter snob all you want), but people who go to a rescue to adopt can’t be ALL that bad? I’m of course not saying to give an animal to anyone who applies but to be automatically turned down is I think too much. Not everyone who does not neuter also chains their dog and does not go to the vet. Hell even the neutering Nazi I am will admit that. Now there are the shady rescues that adopt out intact animals that of course should have this policy but if they are shady enough to adopt out intact animals, then anything they do is shady. I would probably be turned down by some rescues because I refuse to do “yearly over-vaccinating that will do way more harm than good shots”. Even though even the AVMA is pulling away from those vaccinations.

25. Angie - ePITome Dog Rescue July 23, 2013 at 3:21 pm #

All my dogs are altered. I run a bull breed rescue that rescues mostly pit bulls, and all the rescue dogs get altered. We see the nasty side of dog “ownership” where bitches have been over bred to the point where their uterus is about to fall out and teats hanging to the ground. Don’t even get me started on backyard breeders and all the offspring of their dogs that end up at the shelter or worse. I’m a huge advocate for speutering. However, I understand that show dogs and dogs who belong to legitimate breeders need to keep their private parts. That’s fine with me because I would hope those people are responsible owners. Our adoption contract asks if all animals are altered, but having an intact pet is not necessarily a deal breaker. It depends on the circumstances and reasoning. I guess for me the bottom line is the 1.25 million pit bulls euthanized in shelters every year. There are enough pitties out there, we don’t need to add to the problem.

Now having written all this, I must confess, I just think dog balls are really ugly and I don’t want to look at them in my home every day!!

26. Jenn July 23, 2013 at 4:27 pm #

Unfortunately, not enough people with intact dogs are as responsible as you. Shelters and spay/neuter programs can’t talk to people about this assuming the general public is as responsible as you. The general public should learn that the responsible thing to do is get their pet neutered, because they are too lazy to spend the dog’s life being vigilant.

27. Amber July 24, 2013 at 2:43 am #

My kelpie still has his nuts.. I also own 2 other bitches.. They are spayed for a variety of reasons. But they also went through a couple heats (well one did, the other was spayed before a heat).
    I had a lady tell me that it was a pity my boy still had his bits because there are so many unwanted puppies out there.. Yes but they don’t belong to my boy! When I stated that he was a potential stud, she looked like I had just single handedly slaughtered every animal in the shelter..
    My boy doesn’t wander, hump legs or fight (except poodles.. he HATES poodles) So no I’m not going to neuter him just because.. and not before he’s 2 anyways…

28. Stacey July 24, 2013 at 8:07 pm #

I actually had a vet tell me my dog would get “testosterone poison” if I didn’t get him neutered. I don’t go to that vet anymore.

• Bronwyn July 25, 2013 at 2:23 pm #

LMAO!! I guess someone has to graduate at the bottom of the class!

• Pat F. July 27, 2013 at 8:40 pm #

I don’t blame you. In my corner of the Northeastern U.S., the politically correct procedure among vets seems to be to recommend that male pups be neutered at six months. I was lucky, in that for some 15 years I had an old-style (and very smart, as well as compassionate) vet who never even mentioned my dog’s testicles to me until, when my dog was nearly 10, he said that my dog had some ‘prostate issues’ that could become dangerous and recommended that I neuter him. My dog having retired from the show ring at almost-9 years, and me having complete trust in my vet; I agreed and had my boy neutered, he lived six more years.

• AD December 24, 2014 at 8:45 pm #

and meanwhile loads of puppies from the southern states where it is not common practice to “fix” early (or at all) are being shipped up to the northeastern states by the truckload. Coincidence? Complaining about areas that have more stronger spaying and neutering practices and also lower shelter euthanasia rates is not a strong argument for not spaying and neutering.

29. Corgeek July 25, 2013 at 9:09 pm #

I live in close quarters and show my Cardigan Welsh Corgis. I had at one point 2 intact males and one intact bitch. The one male died and the other one didn’t turn out to be what I hoped to pursue. He was around 18 months old and because I had to travel a lot for my job I decided to denut him. I don’t regret it and he is a great indicator on which girl is in season and how far along. Iggy Pop also thinks he is hot stuff by being allowed with the girls all the time. I have 4 intact bitches and *knock on wood* they all get along.

30. Courtney July 30, 2013 at 1:29 pm #

My male Akita was intact for 11 of the 12 years of his life. He was a former show dog and we had an agreement with his breeder not to neuter (or breed) without her input. The only problem I ever had was random people stopping us on the street wanting to breed their female to him (um, no, not happening).

Eventually, health problems in the form of testicular cancer forced us to neuter, which I was fine with, because I wanted him to be healthy. If I had it to do all over again, I probably would have neutered him sooner, rather than waiting until being forced to for his health.

31. G July 30, 2013 at 4:37 pm #

As someone who is the director of a mostly purebred dog rescue I have received criticism because we do allow our dogs to be adopted into homes that have intact animals, as long as they owners are responsible and have a good reason. Our rescue dogs are all altered, so it’s not like they could reproduce with the family’s other dogs anyway. If an adopter wasn’t responsible enough to properly manage an intact dog (whether they have one or not), they aren’t responsible enough to adopt a dog from us, period. Since our rescue dogs are mostly purebreds, our adopters also own mostly purebreds and obviously it isn’t unusual for them to have show dogs and dogs working for various titles that they may or may not breed later on.

In my own home I have one spayed female, one neutered male, and one intact male. Honestly there is very little difference between the boys other than the neutered boy pees higher and poops higher than Mr. Testicles. My spayed female is the worst hump offender, the most vocally obnoxious, and the most dominant overall.

I do advocate spay/neuter for most people’s pets because as many have already state above: most people are not responsible enough to own an intact pet.

At some point I will be neutering my intact boy, but I’m not in a real hurry to do so at this point. My primary reason that I play to alter him later is that I will be moving to another state and he will be spending a lot of time off leash, running on our family’s property (with me, the other dogs, and a trusty e-collar). Being a rural area where nearly everyone’s pets roam around, that is an obvious cause for concern. And I know my dog. He’d knock up the neighbourhood if given half a chance (which is why he gets no chances whatsoever at my house). So when we do end up moving… snip-snip, dude. Sorry. He’s also not a show dog (he is a purebred Elhew English pointer, but was obtained from a shelter and has no papers) or competition dog and honestly his back hips are a wee bit bow-legged, so I’d never breed him anyway. But for time being, there is no real rush to alter him. He’s a good boy and other that teabagging the other dogs or the pillow I sleep on, I barely even notice they’re there.

• Mel Carlin March 10, 2016 at 3:59 am #

Deeply envious – you have an Elhew pointer!!!

32. Megan July 30, 2013 at 6:04 pm #

From what I understand, altering both male and female dogs greatly decreases their risk of certain cancers, which seems like a huge plus. Also, it seems to me kind of cruel to have an intact animal that, because you are a responsible owner, you never let get it on. I think it might be nicer to take those urges away, then to have them live their whole lives unsatisfied. And of course if you do let them get it on by being irresponsible, you contribute to the shelter problems…I have to admit that I definitely judge when I see intact males at the dog park. I automatically assume that their owner is irresponsible and in fact doesn’t have the dog’s best interest at heart.

• julie August 3, 2013 at 6:57 am #

yes megan, being intact does increase the risk of certain cancers (obviously ovarian and testicular being the main ones). however, being spayed and neutered INCREASES the risk of other types of cancers the main one being osteosarcoma which does not have a good prognosis if that develops.

• windchyme November 7, 2014 at 8:17 pm #

According to new medical studies altering your dog puts them at highly increased risk of certian cancers, behavior issues, incontinence in females, and a bunch of other stuff. A truly loving and responsible owner doesn’t want that for their dogs. If they want to sterilize their dog there is ovary sparing surgery and vasectomies for the males…so essentially they ARE sterile with their hormones left intact…..no puppies….

• Mel Carlin March 10, 2016 at 4:01 am #

“greatly decreases their risk of certain cancers” and greatly INCREASES the risk of others…

33. mathitalladdsup August 1, 2013 at 8:13 am #

I chose to fix my female dog for 3 reasons: 1) She was on her first (or second) “period” for nearly 6 months and I couldn’t take it anymore. 2) I didn’t want someone to steal her and breed her. I would rather lose her, sad as I would be, knowing that whoever had her couldn’t breed her and increase the dog fighting and victims of the pitbulls-aren’t-adoptable-dogs shelter. 3) I’m lazy and didn’t want to stay hyper-vigilant for 10 years (or more).

Maybe I don’t have the best reasons, but I am not allowing puppies to happen, so that’s something…

34. warnhound August 10, 2013 at 10:01 pm #

i had an un altered male until a few weeks ago when he passed and not once did he magically impregnate a female from a distance lol people seem to think it is in the air and the act does not even need to take place . oh goodness! god forbid you be responsible enough to not have an untrained sex fiend. such a bitch. He was a show dog but i actually did have people come up front and tell me to have his balls cut because they were shiny. yes, he should have them chopped off because his balls shine and somehow your gaze is drawn to his dangly bits…you sickos

35. Krissy August 27, 2013 at 1:56 am #

We had our ACD (possibly ASTCD?) neutered. Our vet pressured us obnoxiously, to a point where my fiance wanted to switch to another vet… one of those 2-vet practices where the owner is super nice but the other vet was an asshat and you can’t request the good vet in an emergency so we’ve gotten stuck with Dr. Asshat frequently. We live out in the country and a lot of neighbors have intact females; I was afraid Murphy would stray. Also, I had heard a lot about unaltered males being a lot more aggressive, and Murphy is our first dog (as adults, we both grew up with dogs)… so I was nervous he’d somehow become aggressive… pretty much, I gave in to peer pressure.

36. RowanVT August 28, 2013 at 4:43 pm #

I’m an RVT and I will admit to pressuring people to neuter/spay their animals. Not the lady who is titling her dobie (and the doberman is the most gentlemanly dog I’ve ever met), or the other two responsible owners who come in with intact males.

But the lady who bred her golden retriever who has epilepsy because she heard it would help reduce the seizures. The folks who come in with their nasty horrible unsocialised chihuahuas who are attempting to take out my ankles. The guy on monday with his mutt who he kept intact because “he’s just the sweetest dog and we want a puppy from him!” Neverminding the spaztastic nature of their jack russel/maltese/chi-whatsit. Or the person with their 3lb pomeranian… and an intact male beagle. I’ve seen far too many dystocias.

I try to be not-judgemental outside of work, but the clinic I work at is not in the best area and most of the owners there are plain dumb. I will attempt to do better.

37. Ayoka Bubar, CPDT-KA September 3, 2013 at 8:10 pm #

Such a good read. I have owned an intact girl for all of one week, she’s not quite 10 weeks old and I’ve already had 3 people (complete strangers) ask me when I’m going to spay her.

38. pennypup December 2, 2013 at 12:54 pm #

My 5 year old Doberman is intact, and he will remain that way.
    Mainly for health reasons, but also because as one of you said, I’m not going to put him through a surgical procedure that is 100% unnecessary.

I often get the “How old is he? When will you be neutering him?” Then when I tell them I won’t be, I get a look of mixed confusion and repulsion.

I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t give a rats behind about what other people think.

Although, I fell shelters and rescues should really start exploring sterilization options that differ from the traditional spay/neuter; like vasectomy and tubal litigation.

• Christal April 18, 2014 at 2:08 pm #

I am not sure if they offer it for dogs, but the spay and neuter clinic near where I live, if you bring in a feral cat to have him neutered, they will do what is essentially a kitty vasectomy. They leave the testicles intact for these cats because they are pretty much wild. They need that flow of testosterone so they are willing to defend themselves against other feral male cats. They also will still mark their territory. This is not an option one would want for a indoor cat, because there isn’t much that smells worse than a spraying cat.

• windchyme November 7, 2014 at 8:21 pm #

They do offer it for dogs…

39. Laura June 17, 2014 at 8:06 pm #

I get that a lot, too. My boy is intact and perfectly well-behaved. Since I have already lost a dog to hemangiosarcoma, I will take any fractions of a percent higher chance of not dealing with that horror again.

When people comment about my dog’s magnificent, pendulous nutsack I just tell them he is allergic to surgical sedation. Much politer than nunya effin bizness.

I have no intact bitches in the house. I have excellent fencing. I am responsible enough to deal with him. Except I don’t actually have to deal much since he is a sweetie-pie.

A few neutered males have gotten shitty with him but he has never started anything and is always bewildered by their asshole-ishness.

40. Jon August 26, 2014 at 3:45 pm #

Hey Guys,

I am currently struggling with and internal debate and would love some of your opinions. These are the reasons for wanting to neuter my dog (I will wait until he is 18 months), please let me know if you think my reasons justify neutering him.

1) Dog humping, I can no longer take him to the dog because he picks a female than just tries to hump them (so frustrating).
    2) Dog fights, my guy is super friendly around other dogs but sometimes male dogs will pick on him from out of no where (he whimpers and runs away), I’ve been told that males will sometime pick on intact males.
    3) He is over protective, I don’t know if neutering him will actually change this but it would be nice. I am pursuing other means right now of trying to make him lest protective but if neutering would help with this it would be great.

Thanks in advance!
    Jon

• Sam Tatters August 26, 2014 at 6:40 pm #

Hi Jon,

well – neutering is unlikely to change his humping (http://www.michaelbaugh.com/?p=347); and is also unlikely to change his dog-dog interaction skills, nor his “over-protectiveness” (which is more likely to be anxiety-based, though anyone would need to see your dog in person before making any solid comments on that) – for the better at least (yes – neutering might make them *worse*).

So that’s three things it’s unlikely to change with removal of testosterone; but three things which can be managed and most likely also modified if you get in touch with a local trainer or behaviourist – the PPG (http://petprofessionalguild.com/) are a world-wide organisation of force-free canine professionals, so are likely to have someone near you. If you’re in the UK (which I doubt, because you’re going to the dog park), you could also check out the APBC (www.apbc.org.uk/).

Hope this is of some help

• AD December 24, 2014 at 8:00 pm #

Don’t listen to Sam, neutering your dog WILL (after some time, it takes 6 months for testosterone to completely leave the body after neutering) change the way other dogs respond to him. It really get my boat that people of intact dogs can not understand this! Until you get him neutered and for sometime after don’t have him around strange dogs!

41. Juanita December 31, 2014 at 12:50 am #

I go to the Dog Park a lot and I get all these people asking if my 8 month old puppy is spayed. When I say no they give me the “Keeping your dog intact is irresponsible” lecture. Now I just tell people that I’m not part of the “sexual mutilation cult”. That shuts them up.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Dealing with neutering pressure from family*vent* - Page 2 - September 23, 2014

[…] Send rude people this article: Neuter Nuts: aka Your investment in the location of my dog’s testicles is strange in a not-fun… The dog snobs make everything […]