WTF Wednesday aka That time you shouldn’t have read us at lunch.

17 Jul

Who wants to pet Fluffy*?

*Note, this is one of MANY companies that peddles preserved pooches.

One of the worst gifts Fang ever received was one of those creepy goat-hair pets they sell at flea markets. It was a tiny Dalmatian she would literally shut it in her closet at night for fear it would come to terrorize her and gnaw off any hanging limbs in its vicinity. Imagine if at one point this “toy” had been mobile. Well, they do that now. A once living a breathing animal is now a doorstop or an object for a curio cabinet. How… gross.

Thanks NBC news for the picture and the hours of therapy our insurance won’t pay for.

We get that people love their dogs and that losing one is one of the hardest things many people will go through.  What we don’t get is the desire to keep Fluffy perched on the edge of your couch for all eternity.  Freeze-dried pets?  Really?  Eww, just eww. This is like taxidermy minus the kitschy redneck appeal (if there ever was any).

Let’s talk about the actual freeze drying aspect though. We all have used freeze dried treats, right? You know how they get kind of slimy when wet? Now imagine the grossness when Benji 2 tries to have a gnaw at Benji 1. Yeah, we’ve grossed ourselves out too.

Tastes like hours wasted on pointless field trip.

Save the forests kids because this isn’t something we ever want to see on Wild America.

It’s just like visiting Yellowstone.

9 Responses to “WTF Wednesday aka That time you shouldn’t have read us at lunch.”

1. Zoe Roberts July 17, 2013 at 6:20 pm #

Let’s freeze dry grandma while we’re at it. We can prop her in the kitchen by the cookie jar.

• TheDogSnobs July 17, 2013 at 6:31 pm #

We can sell a whole line of freeze-dried Meemaws in grandmotherly poses.

• Zoe Roberts July 17, 2013 at 10:50 pm #

Grandpas too! They can be pop-sicles!

2. tarynft July 17, 2013 at 6:27 pm #

I find it hard enough to believe there are people out there that clone their pets, when there are so many other options. But this truly is WTF! Just plain awful and gross and ewww and disturbing and wrong and…….

3. MA July 17, 2013 at 6:29 pm #

If you want to throw money at something after Spot has passed, it would be less gross to just have him cloned!

4. Christine Vezina July 17, 2013 at 8:02 pm #

That poor Dal looks awful. I’m sure he was loved and cared for, but honestly, looking at him like that… Between the distended abdomen and hips jutting out, he looks like he has cancer. I’ve had dogs go downhill like that. It’s hard enough while they’re living. I don’t think I could stand to look at their poor, ravaged bodies every day for the rest of my life (also, seriously, what happens to them after YOU die?).

• sibeluvr July 18, 2013 at 1:52 am #

That was my first thought as well. I’d rather remember my pets when they were young(er), happy, and healthy than have a permanent reminder of their decline. Not to mention that it already freaks me out when I think I see my deceased pets out of the corner of my eye…

5. Vicki Smith July 17, 2013 at 9:46 pm #

Great, now we can have dog zombies.

6. KnowBody July 18, 2013 at 4:37 pm #

“When my time comes, just skin me and put me up there on Trigger, just as though nothing had ever changed.” Roy Rogers