What’s in a Name? A whole lot of bullshitittypoo.

8 Jul

It’s seriously difficult nowadays to keep track of all the fancy names people give their mutts…err…designer dogs.  It used to just be that you could add “poo” to the end of any other dog breed and you were set.  Not anymore.  With a plethora of new names cropping up, we can’t really keep up.  In order to help you (you’re welcome),  we will break down a handful of designer dog breed names and then tell you what their names *actually* make us think of.

Goldendoodle

What they mean: Poodle +Golden

What we envision:

Too intelligent, but close enough.

Labradoodle

What they mean: Poodle+Lab

What we envision:

Since we’re big on honesty…

Chiweenie

What they mean: Dachshund + Chihuahua

They both contain teeth.

Chug

What they mean:  Chihuahua + Pug

What we envision:

Shit. It’s still only Monday.

Bug

What they mean:  Boston Terrier + Pug

What we envision:

Kill it with fire! This is also the downside of New Zealand.

Frug

What they mean: French Bulldog + Pug

What we envision:

Groovy people know it’s pronounced “froog”

Or for you Indie pig-dog types

Jug

What they mean:   Jack Russell + Pug

What we envision:

We fail to see the difference.

Morkie

What they mean:   Maltese + Yorkie

What we envision:

Nanu Nanu. Mother fucker.

Chestie

What they mean:  Chihuahua + West Highland White Terrier

What we envision:

Those are some big puppies.

Those are some big puppies.

Taco Terrier

What they mean:  Chihuahua + Toy Fox Terrier

What we envision:

PvJrGcTM2xvrTZmWMgebK4lQDq2FVHW-1ZdGbjfwUVLyBpLYKDWpJHut3JLbReR5eziRW4Vp856k6pXfVvwKXdg6vkWGWTgj9ycPtTUHusQqK5Rox8KaJU9Q

Remember the 90’s when racism was folksy?

Puggle

What they mean:   Pug + Beagle

Bitch stole my name!

French Bull Tzu

What they mean:   French Bulldog + Shih Tzu

Shitting Bull...

Shitting Bull…

Dorkie

What they mean:   Dachshund + Yorkie

What we envision:

We miss the 90s or at least the parts we remember.

We miss the 90s for all those sentimental reasons.

Ori Pei

What they mean:   Shar Pei + Pug

OssGray

OssGray

Crustie

What they mean :  Yorkie + Chinese Crested

What we envision:

Crusty, moist, ugh.. Words intended to induce gagging.

Crusty, moist, ugh.. Words intended to induce gagging.

Peke-A-Pap

What they mean: Papillon + Pekingese

What we envision:

Except it’s at a doctor’s office. Think about it.

Newfkom

What they mean: Newfoundland and Komondo

Newfkom1!

**Any designer dog mix names make you scratch your head or giggle uncontrollably?  Share below!**

33 Responses to “What’s in a Name? A whole lot of bullshitittypoo.”

1. Dana July 8, 2013 at 9:35 pm #

The dog that is still the bane of my existence… the pooghan. Poodle + Afghan. This dog does not have the brains of a poodle and is possibly the ugliest thing that ever existed.

2. Mellafabulous July 8, 2013 at 9:41 pm #

Pootalian. Poodle, Italian greyhound mix. Shaped like IG, with floofy curly bits. :/

3. Lisa July 8, 2013 at 9:41 pm #

I just call them all Cocka-shitza-weiner-doodles! A friend came up with that so I can not take credit but I like it.

• Gail crow July 8, 2013 at 10:33 pm #

This is the crux of the matter here :))))))

4. Sam Tatters July 8, 2013 at 9:46 pm #

I don’t know that it had a name, exactly, but I did hear of someone mating a West Highland White Terrier and a Rhodesian Ridgeback…

5. carriewehmeyer July 8, 2013 at 9:51 pm #

I call them all crappydoodles. That’s what my youngest daughter called poopy diapers, and it seems apropos.

6. carriewehmeyer July 8, 2013 at 9:52 pm #

I call them all crappydoodles. It’s what my youngest daughter called poopy diapers and it seems apropos.

7. Krista Dye July 8, 2013 at 9:53 pm #

St. Bershepsky. St.Bernard/German Shepherd/Husky. All mouth and hair, no brains.

8. tarynft July 8, 2013 at 10:08 pm #

The best part is a lot of the owners of these various oodle-poos will tell you their dog is a registered purebred!

9. Kelsey July 8, 2013 at 10:10 pm #

The Ganaraskan, Cocker/Wheaton/Scnauzer/poodle! Ugh!

10. Ruth Roby July 8, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

Schnoodle – Schnauzer and Poodle…… Eat your schnoodles, Klaus!

11. Christine Vezina July 8, 2013 at 10:43 pm #

Sibercaan. Siberian Husky/Canaan Dog. Hypoallergenic and non-barking, you know! I can’t get past any name containing the word “cyber” though. Cyber Cane. Cyber Cain. Hmm…

12. Sandy July 8, 2013 at 10:58 pm #

Walrus – combo of basset hound and shar pei. Oooogly!

13. Julie E. July 8, 2013 at 11:09 pm #

I’ve always referred to most of the designer mixes as caca-poodle-doos, myself…

14. Betsy Copeland July 8, 2013 at 11:15 pm #

saw an ad for a Shar Pei x Bloodhound cross called a “Cuddle Dog” Ewwwwwwwww A Dermatologist’s nightmare!

15. Sarah July 9, 2013 at 12:06 am #

Collectively I call them Thing-a-poos and leave it at that.

But Newfie and Komondor, dear god why?

16. Jane July 9, 2013 at 2:58 am #

Shihtzu + Poodle = ShitzPoo…and that’s what it does.

17. Steve July 9, 2013 at 4:08 am #

How about calling them all Mutts? Call me old fashioned!

18. Lolly July 9, 2013 at 4:49 am #

The twee names and whole market ethos of the deliberate x-breed – both are gross. But I’m not sure I love the whole using “mutt” as an insult thing, to be honest. Some of the best dogs in this world are what my grandma called “Heinz 57” dogs – mutts, mongrels, mixed-breed, whatever. It just seems… Kind of like hating toddlers in tiaras and calling them prostitots – instead of squaring away against the mothers/social whatever that made the whole thing happen in the first place. I just dunno. It rubs me wrong every time.

• TheDogSnobs July 9, 2013 at 4:58 pm #

We’ve explained before (many times in fact) that this is satire. You’re entitled to your opinion, but as satire, we’re not out to change hearts and minds. We’re functionally venting over the ridiculousness that dog-ownership has stooped to. We’re not making petitions, we’re enjoying the circus from a distance.

We’re not insulting mutts; We’re mocking the owners who think they’ve purchased some rare and wonderful exotic dog. Both Busybee and Fang refer to their boy-dogs as mutts regularly (And Fang’s is a deliberately well bred animal.) We’ve also never slammed mixed-bred dogs since we’ve all had or have them currently.

So really, while we appreciate where you’re coming from, the lecture is unnecessary and redundant. We’re not everyone’s cup of tea, and that’s fine. 🙂

• Lolly July 11, 2013 at 6:10 am #

Not all satire involves being derogatory about mixed ancestry. I guess you could run off anyone who takes issue with something written even if they like most of the blog, but it seems like a weird choice. AGREE OR YOU ARE DEAD TO US.

19. Lolly July 9, 2013 at 4:56 am #

P.S. A fair number of the people who are making these precious portmanteaux for their pooches may nevertheless have got their dog from the shelter or a rescue, not a byb or mill. One lady who adopted from our shelter calls her Australian Shepherd x Pug a “Shpug” and she is thoroughly obnoxious about typing everything it does into one of those two breed standards. “Oh, that’s his shepherd!” “Oh, that’s his pug!” and I want to smash her in the face a lot. But I never seem to want to insult or belittle the poor dog. He seems to be doing the best he can.

20. Jade July 9, 2013 at 5:02 am #

You’ll love this page then… it has ever cross with pictures! Did you know there’s a difference between Whoodles and Woodles? I didn’t… lol http://www.petyourdog.com/breeds_by_coat/curly

21. Jennifer Vaughn Hartman July 9, 2013 at 5:47 am #

Chin Pin…LOL Mini pin & Chinese crested 😀

22. leestrates July 9, 2013 at 8:42 am #

I saw a kijiji ad for groodles once, but fucked if I know what they are.

• Bronwyn July 9, 2013 at 6:43 pm #

I googled because I had a perverse curiousity to find out what the heck that was – apparently a groodle and a golden doodle are the same thing. Golden Retriever x Poodle. *sigh*

• leestrates July 16, 2013 at 6:32 am #

Well, that’s redundant. Also, a cockapoo and a spoodle are apparently the same too, at least around here (the byb’ers seem to have missed the memo that a spoo is actually a standard poodle, but what can ya do?).

23. hiliary July 10, 2013 at 3:48 am #

Irish doodles….ughhh, big and very dumb. Don’t get me wrong, I love both breeds and have English setters but Irish doodles are no fun. Not to mention the hair they have. I do have an Australian setter doodle though. Her mother was an English setter and her father was an Australian Shepard/poodle mix. This wasn’t intentional btw and I came up with the name on my own

24. Diana July 13, 2013 at 3:16 pm #

Double Doodle – yes, they cross Golden Doodles and Labradoodles to create the even more rare Double Doodle.

Shelter I volunteered for before the designer craze had a stray Rottie give birth to what could have only been a Mini Schnauzer sired litter. We missed an opportunity to market Snotweillers. Always wished I could have seen them as grown ups.

25. Me July 13, 2013 at 8:41 pm #

Shih-tses….Shih-tzu and Maltese…or laxative? You be the judge.

26. The Murr July 22, 2013 at 2:45 am #

When we adopted our little guy the rescue identified him as a “Havanese Mix” and when we gave him his first bath we realized he had a Dachshund body. Since everyone else has ridiculous portmanteaux names, when people ask his breed and won’t accept “mutt” as an answer, we say that he’s a “Havaweenie.”

• KellyK August 29, 2013 at 5:43 pm #

Havaweenie! Nice!

Our dog Diamond is, in theory, a mix of shar-pei, amstaff, and golden retriever. We’ve decided this makes her a Golden Shar-Pittie.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Top 13 Dog Blog Posts of 2013 | No Dog About It Blog - December 31, 2013

[…] 5. What’s in a Name? A whole lot of bullshitittypoo by The DogSnobs writers – Okay. I admit it. I really do love The DogSnobs. I love that they have a  no-holds-barred kind of writing stele and a I-don’t-give-a-sh*t-what-you-think attitude. This particular post makes fun about all the silly names breeders have given designer dogs. Want to read more? Here are a few that made the Honorable Mention list:  Owner Profile: The Distracted Dingbat, Your dog isn’t being friendly. He’s an asshole. And so are you., and Put it back, you don’t need that! a.k.a. Picking the correct breed is important. Don’t fuck it up. […]