Dogs In Clothes.

18 Jun

Sundress.  Check.

Daisy Dukes. Check.

Footie pajamas. Check.

Overalls.  Check.

Sun hat.  Check.

Yellow polka-dot bikini.  Check.

No, we are not making a packing list for an upcoming vacation.  We’re talking about dogs who have seemingly larger wardrobes than we do.

While we can appreciate changing collars frequently, using bandanas to spruce up a dog’s look, wearing sweaters/jackets in cold weather in thinly coated breeds, or dressing dogs up for special occasions like Halloween or dog-related events,  we really don’t understand the need to dress dogs up as human babies on a daily basis.  Does your dog really need to have a lace dress with bows and ruffles to go outside and take a dump?  Does it make her feel pretty?  Based on most of the dogs we see dressed up in full clothing, we have a feeling that’s not pride they are feeling, but rather embarrassment and a desire to seek revenge.

While we can’t say that we’ve never dressed our dogs up for shits and giggles, the thought of actually doing so on a daily basis and in public is beyond us.   As much as we love our dogs, they are dogs.  We’re pretty sure they don’t care if their shoes (No, we’re not kidding) match their dresses/suits/rompers.   There is even an entire tumblr devoted to dogs in clothes .

I guess another way to look at people who dress their dogs up on a daily basis is that at least they aren’t neglecting their dogs. These dogs are clearly very well loved (heck, we don’t own Prada sunglasses) and in the grand scheme of things, dressing up your dog isn’t really hurting anyone.  But seriously, can someone explain to us why their dog needs an entire closet full of shoes, hats, and dresses?  And if you can make a compelling argument, are you willing to buy us (not our dogs, they would kill us in our sleep if we dressed them up daily) expensive clothes to increase our own wardrobes?

Do you feel like defending your dressed up dogs?  Do you envy a dog’s wardrobe?  Post below!

11 Responses to “Dogs In Clothes.”

1. Lulubelle June 18, 2013 at 2:22 am #

Recently saw actual drama on facebook & twitter over campaigning for Shiba Prom king and queen (yes, the dogs – in formalwear). No lie. It’s a rescue fundraiser, so that excuses the Dogs in Clothes part, but people were getting seriously bent about it.

2. Cynthia McCollum June 18, 2013 at 3:38 am #

facepalm. Largo, FL. There is a beaded black body lace skirt evening gown that comes in sizes to fit chihuahua to large yorkshire terrier. For better than $200.

My dogs have tolerated my dressing them up occasionally and I have had one dog that caught on to we are going some where special, but I’ve never spent money on dressing my dogs. I did have a potential client call me and ask how she could keep her maltese from rolling in the dirt every time she put a nice dress on her. Oy vey. Me, the one who makes sure every client puppy gets to learn the joy of rolling in mud.

3. The Lady June 18, 2013 at 11:56 am #

I only go as far as making sure MY clothes match Daisy’s collar. LOL She’s beautiful without clothes.

4. Lauren Elizabeth June 18, 2013 at 4:36 pm #

The dog pants (that end up looking something like assless chaps) are the best.

5. houndsofgrey June 18, 2013 at 5:07 pm #

I get a fair bit of hate for “dressing up” my greyhounds… sorry, but for a good half the year they need to be wearing SOMETHING when they go outside, especially since we’ve moved to the midwest. There are many coats, and even a couple of “fancy” ones. I’ll occasionally plunk bunny ears on my goofball for Easter, and she has to take a picture wearing antlers in front of the Christmas tree, but that’s about it. For dogs who really love the attention from dressup, I’ve got a collection of silk scarves and can tie one to their collar.

our favorite doggy boutique in Popular (famous) Mountain Vacation Village features some adorable items that I’ve seriously considered just for the humor, but I can’t bring myself to spend $60 on a doggy tank top with Swarovski crystals… but my favorite was the mink coat for teeny breeds. XS was $2k. I got a giggle when the saleswoman said that she’d most recently sold one to a lady with a pom. Poor pom is plenty fluffy, but Mom wanted her to wear mink…

• Christine Vezina June 20, 2013 at 2:26 am #

Hahaha mink on a dog… I have personally seen a Husky consume a rabbit skin much larger than a Chihuahua-size jacket in less than 30 seconds. 2k indeed…

6. pennar June 18, 2013 at 5:31 pm #

I don’t put tee shirts or pants on. I have never had a female dog. I do throw winter coats on them . I do have to admit they have a ridiculous amount of them, more coats than I own. But I do work at a pet supply and grooming store so I get sweet deal. I know I have a problem, I can’t help myself. It is right in my face when I walk in and I get first dibs!! I must admit I fantasize about having black girl pug and putting her in a pink dress. I know , I am not right.

7. Hounded and Happy June 18, 2013 at 6:27 pm #

There are worse things than dressing your dog oddly

which led me to

The next time the wolfhounds demure over wearing their St Patrick’s Day bowties, I will be showing them how much worse it could really be 🙂

8. Jessica Cargill June 18, 2013 at 6:40 pm #

My dogs get costumes. Elaborate, entertaining costumes.

Mostly because I enjoy annoying them.

It’s an art. The art of Dog Annoyance.

• Emarekica August 24, 2013 at 10:19 pm #

You should do that to CATS, dogs don’t deserve it. Cats, on the other hand, absolutely do.

9. Emarekica August 24, 2013 at 10:22 pm #

I put sweaters and little shirts on my yorkie in the winter because the poor thing is freezing. He wears it only when we go outside to do peepee. He can stay a bit longer without shaking immediately when we leave the building. I hate it, but have to do it. Also, I dopted him and got a ‘santa costume’ which he wears on Christmas day when we go to visit friends and family and I tell everyone I kidnapped Santa and there are no presents for them, buahahahaha 😀 I’m evil, I know. 😀