1 Jun

If you were waiting on the edge of your seat for this week’s Sex Toy Saturday, sorry. There are only so many penis jokes we can make before we start feeling like twelve year old boys.

Okay, Just one.

Instead, we have a more pressing matter to address. If you missed the complete shit-show that was our comment section last night… you should go read that now. It’s quality entertainment and the commenter that started it did not limit her rage to our comment section, but rather took the worst of it out on one of the Dog Snob’s personal Facebook pages. She was, of course, soundly mocked by our minions. Even her own page (Which, free publicity Dude. Thanks) came out fairly strongly in favor of taking a Xanax and a nap before letting it go.

Like a true adult facing a difference of opinion, she took her ball and went home. Deleted all of her comments, blocked all of the people that commented on the thread and eventually blocked the Dog Snob that posted the article on her own timeline.

ermahgerd-ball_o_1158845

This was all ended with a parting shot that surprised us a little. And while we can handle crazy and we LOVE offended internet crazies… we do not approve of what we’re sure was supposed to be a slam. Dearest readers, we were referred to en masse as ‘Mutt People’. We use the word mutt regularly, and not as a pejorative, but in this instance we felt it necessary to clarify some things so take a seat and brace yourselves.

Ready for impact

Mutt Shaming: Making or attempting to make a dog-owner feel guilty over their dogs’ pedigree or  lack thereof. See also: Awful people.

Awful People: This.

As we think you’ve gathered from the title, we’re ‘Dog People’ and everything that implies.

No, wrong kind of dog people.

Two of us have purebreds, two of us have mixed breeds (If the math screws you up, Fang has both) and all three of us have had some combination of the two at some point. We’re not into saying a good dog is lesser than any other dog because of a pedigree. That’s right, your dog out of champion parents deserves no more and no less love than the dog the next person picked up at the shelter.

or1d2j

Conversely, thoughtfully bred companions from good breeders and the breeding of them are not what causes pet overpopulation in this country.

Mind Blown

Rescuing a dog does not make you a saint, and purchasing a well-bred dog does not make you satan. I know, shocking; the world is not so black and white.

Except here.

A good dog is a good dog regardless of origins. We get our satisfaction from our relationships with our canines, not the paperwork that marks them rescue or breeder. There are enough dogs out there for everyone, and frankly, turning on other fanciers is counterproductive.

Literally shooting ourselves in the foot.

If we actually bothered to focus our energies on what’s making dog ownership harder (BSL, dog-free parks and trails, inexperienced clueless owners setting themselves up for failure, actual puppy-mills and the idiots who perpetuate them) imagine all the great things that could be accomplished. Instead we’re just going to in-fight and bicker until we’ve ruined everything, because we’re human and that’s what we do and it’s depressing and stupid, so let’s just look at cats.

We’ve resorted to this.

We’re mutt people. We’re also purebred people, and pet people, and performance dog people, and dog nutrition people, and competitive dog people, and lazy dog people, and we all like Indian food. Obviously, our disgruntled commentator didn’t find it necessary to learn these things about us, but that’s her loss and you can thank her for our tirade this lazy Saturday.

tumblr_mnq7e4GAYG1qdgmu2o1_500 (1)

In case you wanted the music

14 Responses to “Mutt Shaming (And Purebreds too): A PSA on how not to get featured on our blog in a bad way”

1. Kim June 1, 2013 at 6:33 pm #

I find that people that can’t laugh at themselves in any given situation take themselves way too seriously and are usually insecure about their own abilities in regards to the topic that they rant about……..whew………breathe…..way too deep for a Saturday.

2. Kim June 1, 2013 at 6:40 pm #

Don’t suppose you could take my last name off my comment? My bad, wasn’t paying attention

The Dog Snobs wrote: > WordPress.com > TheDogSnobs posted: “If you were waiting on the edge of > your seat for this week’s Sex Toy Saturday, sorry. There > are only so many penis jokes we can make before we start > feeling like twelve year old boys. Instead, we have a more > pressing matter to address. If you misse” >

• TheDogSnobs June 1, 2013 at 6:41 pm #

I don’t think we can, but we can delete it and you can post again if you like.

• Kim June 1, 2013 at 6:44 pm #

Yes, please.

• TheDogSnobs June 1, 2013 at 6:47 pm #

We figured out how to remover your last name. 🙂

3. Peg June 1, 2013 at 7:00 pm #

A snobby (but polite) golf clap to you for maintaining your calm during yesterday’s clusterfeck. For those about to mock, we salute you!

4. Lin Stone June 1, 2013 at 7:22 pm #

Well done Kamie!

5. TPV June 1, 2013 at 8:22 pm #

Everyone tells me that my purebred is a mutt. He haz no papers, but he can chew up papers; Does that count? He has no sanctioned titles, but *expletive deleted* has been tossed around about his activities more than once. For those who take life too seriously, all I can say is:
    “I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hampster, and your father smelt of eldeberries!”

6. JT June 2, 2013 at 5:26 am #

People tell me my unpapered purebred is a mutt too. Like, does it matter? Really? These mutt shamers can seriously go ram themselves. Hard. With something big and unwieldy from sex toy Saturday.

7. Theresa June 2, 2013 at 2:47 pm #

Aww, there was fight and a good mocking and I missed it! Dang.

8. Sheree June 2, 2013 at 8:34 pm #

Geez, I just love dogs. Some people just gotta have drama. Oh, and I love Indian food too. 😘

9. MA June 3, 2013 at 5:25 pm #

All this talk about Indian Food makes me hungry! I never realized how much drama there was out in the “dog world” until I got a DOG! Now everybody has to be having some kind of battle going on. My dog isn’t particular whose butt she sniffs, purebred, mutt, she can’t tell any difference and neither can the owner of the butt! Sometimes dogs are smarter than people.

10. houndsofgrey June 8, 2013 at 6:25 am #

Among the many names my dear goofy brindle hound has, I sometimes call her Mutt. I was once actually lectured about this – by a person who didn’t even OWN a dog – because “she’s a pure greyhound, there’s nothing mutt about her”. Piss off, pretentious twat, I can call my dog whatever I want.

Anyway, the fact that *I* use it as a term of endearment makes it all the funnier to me that someone would say “mutt person” as though it were synonymous with “kitten-murdering hobo excrement”.

(“strongly in favor of taking a Xanax and a nap before letting it go” – this will be my new prescription for internet butthurt)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. An Airing of Grievances, The Dog Snobs Festivus Tradition Begins | The Dog Snobs - December 27, 2013

[…] Arguments. We super don’t care. Go train your […]