Dog Breed Pros and Cons

22 Mar

Here at the dog snobs, we aren’t just snobby about people. We do a whole lot of breed-wide judging. Not to be accused of kennel blindness or anything akin to it, we’ve decided to compile a list  of pro and cons about our chosen breeds.

BusyBee:

Chosen Breed(s):  Pitbulls (yes, I realize that it is not technically a breed, but go with me….), pit mixes, bully types.  For the sake of this blog  I will be referring to “pitties” as a general type of dog that could include several breeds (American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, mixes of these breeds, etc).

Why I chose this breed:  I admit that I entered the “pittie” world rather haphazardly after falling in love with Mr. T’s little puppy face at an adoption event.  His personality shined at the adoption event–he was outgoing, brave, wiggly, and very people-focused, all things that I would eventually learn were hallmark traits of pitties.  It wasn’t until getting him and doing extensive research (yes, I know, in a perfect world research should be done before getting a dog) that I realized I had inadvertently found the kind of dog that suits me rather well.   Volunteering at the shelter and interacting with dozens of pitties has only reaffirmed that these are the dogs for me.

Pros:

1) Across the board, the pitties I have met are incredibly happy, affectionate, cuddly, and eager to please.  These dogs were born to love and they go about it with an incredible level of devotion and joy. These are dogs that want nothing more than to be with you (or in Mr. T’s case, on top of you) and find being with their people more rewarding than just about anything else.  Although it can border on clingy (I call Mr. T a velcro dog), pitties will worship the ground you walk on and will let you know how much they love you at any given moment.  There’s no guessing what these dogs are thinking–it’s written all over their wiggle butts and huge pittie grins.

Mr. T loves his mama.

2) Pitties are the consummate clown of the dog world.   They approach life with such sheer joy that it’s almost impossible to not be happier when in the company of one.   They are complete attention whores and love to soak up attention.  It never fails that each pittie I meet has their own quirk that makes me laugh hysterically.  These are dogs that are full of personality and know how to turn on the charm.  Mr. T has become a celebrity amongst my friends and neighbors in part due to his silly antics and clownish approach towards life.

Derp

3) Enthusiasm is a pittie’s  middle name.  Most will chase Frisbees, fetch sticks, run after balls, tussle with their family members, and, generally play until they drop. These dogs are FUN.  They are truly young-at-heart and never outgrow their fun-loving spirit.  They are active dogs that will take on any challenge you give them and do so with a smile.  I refer to Mr. T as my ‘adventure’ dog because he literally will try anything, and does so with reckless abandon.

Wheeeeee!

Cons:

1)  If potential dog aggression/reactivity is a deal-breaker for you, then this is not your breed.  That is not to say that all pittie/bully types will display this behavior, but you do have to acknowledge the possibility of it developing and take steps to prevent it from becoming an issue.  Mr. T is actually rather dog social (getting more selective as he gets older), but I am always watching his body language and behavior in order to ensure that I am not missing any signs of discomfort/aggression.  I don’t personally consider it a con, but owning one means you have to go above and beyond in terms of socialization, and many people do not want this extra work or responsibility.

Learn it, Live it

2)  The biggest downside to owning a pittie is quite frankly the stigma attached to them.  You have to have (or develop, as I did) a thick skin when you owned a much-maligned breed.  I was honestly not prepared when I first got Mr. T for the nasty comments, people avoiding us on the streets, and general reactions of people when they found out that I owned a pittie   Because of the stigma associated with them, it is imperative that pittie owners and their dogs be ambassadors, which often means that our dogs have to be “better” than others just to not be seen as monsters.   It’s a lot of responsibility and it’s understandable that a lot of people aren’t prepared for, or don’t want to deal with the issues that come along with owning a pittie.

Potnoodle

Chosen Breed(s): While I plan to own many breeds in my lifetime, the breed I currently have is Standard Poodles.

Why I chose this breed: When I got my first standard, L, I had been in the company of border collies and a border collie/ australian cattle dog mix for way too long. L was given to me by a teacher that knew I worked for a groomer at the time. I was going to use L as a competition grooming dog and maybe dabble in a little agility with her. Now, I have two standards and can’t see myself going back to border collies.

Pros:

1) Poodles have personality plus. They’re hilarious and really enjoy making you laugh. They are absolute attention hogs and their hijinks makes sure the attention stays on them. Both of mine have their little tricks and acts that make me laugh everyday. A poodle is a constantly happy dog, nothing can dampen that spirit.

That face. All. The. Time.

2) If cleanliness is next to godliness, I’ll anxiously await my dog’s sainthood. They are tidy, no smell, no shedding. I hear people talk about having hair all over their clothes and I’m not completely unfamiliar with the concept thanks to my cattle dog mix. However, I’ve been shedding free lately thanks to the poodle. I’m pretty sure I shed more than they do.

Well… after the bath anyway.

3) Intelligence is a huge pro on the poodle. They are quite often proclaimed as the second smartest breed and I believe it. They pick up behaviours quick and really thrive off of pleasing their people.

Smart… with a dash of nerdy.

Cons;

1) All that hair. I mentioned above that poodles don’t shed? Yeah… the hair keeps growing. Forever. That means you either have to have the cash to get it cut, the inclination to do it yourself, or the patience to deal with cording. Even with cording, some parts of the dogs still have to be cut. Hair even grows out of poodles ears, and has to be plucked to keep the ear canal healthy.

So much hair…

2) They can be downright naughty. They get bored, just like any other dog, and have no issue destroying things. They will demand your attention, good or bad. They aren’t a traditional working breed, but they do have to be kept entertained.

Can she see me?

Fang

Chosen Breed(s): I have four dogs in four different breeds but only two were deliberate acquisitions, so we’ll focus on my girly who’s an Australian Cattle Dog.

Why I chose this breed: I got my two bigger dogs for performance events. I deliberately chose driven, high energy dogs to be competitive in obedience, agility and whatever else happened to come my way. I grew up with Shelties (too much hair for me, thanks) had my Golden Retriever until late teenage years and then remained dogless through university mostly by circumstances. The cattle dog had been on my radar since high school and I toyed with the idea of one for a long time before emailing a rescue about a particular dog. They suit me perfectly and my house will never be without one.

Pros:

1) Cattle dogs are pretty. They are truly a gorgeous dog albeit utilitarian. No two look exactly alike and their ticking and masks and Bentley marks (The white spot you’ll frequently see on the top of their heads) make a striking contrast. I do prefer the lighter boned dogs but the heavier conformation squareness has its own appeal.

2) Cattle dogs are owner oriented. These dogs love their people. They may not all show it the same way but they bond tightly to their humans and many times seem like mind-readers. They want to be with you and more importantly working with you. They are extremely sensitive to their handler’s emotions and are adept at reading a situation. Owner is probably not-accurate since these dogs are the ultimate team players, and would probably take offense at their opinions not being held in the same regard as another contributing member of a household.

hBA7A9736

3) Cattle dogs are incredibly intelligent. If your cattle dog doesn’t pick up something in short order, you’re doing something wrong and you need to try something else. Things are never boring with a cattle dog thinking through a problem.

oh-you-have-a-blue-heeler-tell-me-more-why-your-not-as-smart-as-him

Cons

1) Cattle dogs are incredibly intelligent. Theirs is an immensely trying version of intelligence however. It’s a practical and sneaky intelligence that can get them into immense trouble very easily. Leave a car window open? Your ACD has gotten in through the window and eaten all the groceries. Shut them in their crate in the bathroom? You’re coming home to a new dog tunnel through the drywall.

ac66f010a4da4dcf469547144087c8ccbc08d7bf70650c6e4a04d72bb1da8c4f

2) Cattle dogs are independent. As a dog who was originally bred for dangerous work, a cattle dog required a fair amount of independent thought. They’d need to problem solve on their feet in order to avoid trampling and as such have a decided streak of ‘I’ve got a better idea’ in most of their thought processes. A simple run through the agility course becomes “But it’s faster to the tunnel if I take these jumps” and an Open obedience run becomes “Let’s skip the middle-man, I’ll take the dumbbell to the judge for you!”. If you lack the sense of humor and willingness to ‘Just roll with it’ a cattle dog will never be for you.

hi-guys-dog-meme

3) Cattle dogs are the fun police. If it’s not explicitly written in the cattle dog handbook of ‘Things that are allowed to happen according to my Mama and Me too’, it will not be cool with a cattle dog. Aside from their general propensity towards dog aggression (Most cattle dogs are not dog-park friendly) cattle dogs are nitpickers. They don’t like it when things aren’t ordered, scheduled, stamped, and signed-off on in triplicate (You can keep the green form). They tend to approach life very seriously and that makes it difficult if you want to have a dog who just loves everybody… That’s not the norm for them and expecting it will leave you disappointed.

4) They will bite the crap out of you… That’s sorta important.

Get used to it

Get used to it

**We want to hear from you!  What are your chosen breeds and their pros and cons?  Share in the comments section!**

36 Responses to “Dog Breed Pros and Cons”

1. Sam H March 23, 2013 at 12:41 am #

best ever

2. Brenda March 25, 2013 at 1:29 pm #

Love the ACD description. My boy is only half ACD but you hit the nail on the head! I have never had a dog that looked at me and I can tell he’s deciding what he wants to do. Not what I want him to do. And although he has been socialized often with other dogs, he would just as soon be the only one. My next one will be a rescued pure bred ACD.

• Northern Belle August 24, 2013 at 1:57 pm #

ACDs: Spot on! My Cattle Dog mix is snarky, hard-eyed, herds like a madman, and is ever so affectionate. Unfortunately for her, two dogs preceded her in this household. Ah, suck it up!

3. kristennoelle March 26, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

I thoroughly enjoyed the cattle dog portion.
    My initial thought was ” Oh look how pretty! I kinda need a cattle dog. I should google these guys and get educated.”

Next thought ” well, he does look kinda cute with his head sticking out of the bathroom wall. At least he is okay. It would’ve been my fault for being ill prepared..”

Next…
    “Yeah, okay, it’s important to know they limit their circle of friends to few members. Crap.. The husband is always the favorite. The Aussie is gonna bite me all the time and wound my spirit. There goes my Aussie dream”

• TheDogSnobs March 26, 2013 at 10:39 pm #

Ha! We enjoyed your thought process. 🙂

They’re definitely not a breed for everyone, or most people for that matter. Ridiculously Type A personalities with a sense of humor tend to do well with them but it’s not a conventional performance dog by any means. Their looks and politeness in the shelter are what draw you in. It’s an act. 😛

If you’re looking for suggestions Australian Shepherds (Aussies) are in my experience considerably less bitey and more of a family dog. They’re a much better pick for a lot of people. 🙂

• kristennoelle March 26, 2013 at 11:06 pm #

I have a Doberman who does what she wants.
        And two Pibbles
        Reading the Aussie synopsis, whew, I saw how he couldn’t wait for his beef steak. He went out to catch his own.

• dirtartful March 19, 2014 at 11:52 pm #

I have two ACDs… and they are MUCH less bitey than my Lab mix… I must have aliens!

4. Becky P. May 7, 2013 at 7:24 pm #

Yes! Everyone was so obsessed with exercise requirements, no one told me about the “bite the crap out of you” part before we adopted our Aussie/ACD mix. We absolutely adore her. She is actually pretty social, both with dogs and people (perhaps a contribution from the Aussie side) and full of energy and smart. Brilliant. An evil genius, maybe. It was totally worth it, but it was a STEEP learning curve.

5. mathitalladdsup August 1, 2013 at 10:33 am #

I also have a APBT and I completely agree with Busybee. I had mine for 2 weeks and did something stupid; I allowed my intact female to socialize with another intact female (also APBT) who both thought they owned the space. Long story short, dog fight. Not a bad one, but the first one I ever witnessed. It was mostly them holding on to each other, no shaking and no “for the kill”. I am now wiser and have seen my share of dog fights from other breeds. It took some soul-searching, but I trust my Honey again. She has proven herself many times over to be great with most other dogs, even the rude asshole dogs who run up to her while she is on leash. She just hates the yippee dog at the end of the block who doesn’t get any exercise. :p

If you are going to get an APBT be aware that a fight might happen and be prepared to react. But really, she is the most cuddly, obedient, and funny dog I have ever had. I wouldn’t trade her for the world.

6. Pam Lowrey August 15, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

I have Basenjis & they’re very unique dogs. Their intelligence is both a pro & a con also. What I like best about them is that they don’t bark at the door, other dogs, people, or noises they hear on TV. What I like least about them is they scream like banshees when they’re pissed off about something. Their destructive tendencies are legendary, but made up for by their sense of humor & clownishness. 🙂

• Lauren Dukes August 24, 2013 at 12:42 pm #

I had a neighbor with six basenjis that would start that god-awful screaming howl at about 2AM and keep it up for hours, which left me constantly thinking murderous thoughts toward her and her pack of hooligans. The day she moved was one of much rejoicing. If she had maybe just one or two and actually had them somewhat trained, they probably would have been lovely dogs because they were really cute with their giant ears and curly tails, and they seemed friendly enough. Just… that noise. Nooo thank you!

7. Krissy August 27, 2013 at 2:12 am #

I love our Murphy, he’s an ACD or a stumpy tail. We were told his tail was cropped, but he’s just black and white, no tan, and he has the slimmer build… So who knows? He’s a big cuddle bug, a velcro dog to the extreme, and the smartest dog I’ve ever met. He goes everywhere he can with us and is always happy to see us. He likes most people, but I have learned to trust his judgement with those he is wary of. He went through a stage where he would take shoes out of the closet and dirty clothes out of the hamper and chew them to bits. He has (thankfully) outgrown that stage. He’s very schedule-oriented and does that high-pitched whine/bark when he knows it’s time for something and we’re not paying attention. He loves doing person-y things: when I cut my nails, he sticks a paw on my lap so I can trim his; when I brush my teeth, he “sits pretty” in the bathroom and waits for his turn. He definitely loves my fiance more, but he still has a lot of love left over for me and he makes us so incredibly happy.

8. tideeyed September 21, 2013 at 6:26 am #

Border Collies. (Can you believe it?!) 😛

• tideeyed September 21, 2013 at 6:30 am #

I have to add on: Real Border Collies. Not the psychotic, screw-loose, nonstop-barking AKC version. The thinking, calculating ones. (While still beyond intense, I appreciate sanity and quiet thinking in my dogs.)

9. dogmom October 25, 2013 at 10:53 pm #

Oh how I needed this! I am so glad i found this! I in fact live with an male ACD, Buck (although there are times that i have other names for him….), a half ACD half Australian Shepherd, Cysco, and Sophie, the miniature pinscher. Talk about a wild house. An ACD or ACD mix would have never been my first choice, as I was raised with Akitas and a multitude of random mixes. They have both been quite a learning experince. The mix, thankfully, took a lot of the personality traits of the shep. Kind of derpy, and very loving to almost anyone. He did take on the “mom, I know exactly what you’re thinking” from the ACD. I couldn’t have asked for a better dog, as he rescued me just as much as I rescued him. Buck, well, he is pretty typical ACD except that he is really very dog friendly, except he is the “asshole” who wants to sniff incessantly. But he will play all day long if I can counter his attention long enough to get them started (usually a ball is sufficient). People, well, they can forget it. He belonged to my boyfriend when we started dating 5 years ago. It took almost 2 years for us to finally be friends, and we get on great now, though i took my fair share of “bite the crap out of you.” he was also a rescue. And poor little Sophie. She was another rescue, and wasn’t impressed with the fact that i treated her and corrected her just as I do the boys, after adjusting to her scale of course. none of the little dog coddling. she wouldnt have been allowed to stay if she went into major “little dog” territory, though she too has her quirks.

10. gwolf927 October 26, 2013 at 9:41 pm #

We have an ACD mix….looks more Kelpie than Blue heeler, but we rescued him so we aren’t exactly sure. Every time people describe ACDs he sounds a lot like them except a few things.
    One: what does the “bite the crap out of you mean?” Nipping, real biting, play biting? Cooper is our ACD and he nips just a little bit, but not much. He bites playfully with other dogs all the time when he plays with him and he gnaws on my husband a little when they wrestle, other than that I can’t say I have experienced any biting.
    Two, he loves other dogs and loves other people. He is extremely social and affectionate, and makes other people fall in love with him. However, he is a little more weary around the house and get’s in protective mode. He is somehow able to distinguish who are our friends or maintenance people that we are expecting versus unexpected company. Like the mailman/UPS man…..fedex man….okay, so pretty much people delivering packages, or any man who drops by by himself. He loves to get attention from everyone else but at the same time, he is a Velcro dog and makes it clear that we are his people. When we dog sit he loves the company of other dogs but he suddenly becomes even more of a Velcro dog and is quite sweet the way he seems to need and love us more:)
    Three, he pretty much never barks. Except at the mailman (see the trend…were certain he has a bad history with a man with a hat and a bag). When we first got him he barked every time we left, but soon he figured out we were always coming back. He doesn’t bark at people walking by, he doesn’t bark when someone is at the door, unless its a man with a package. He doesn’t bark at other dogs and he doesn’t bark when he is playing or if he wants something. Every once and a while a bark escapes when he is getting excited playing, but it’s almost like it slipped out. I know ACDs aren’t necessarily supposed to bark, but when I watch videos of them there always seems to be some barking.
    Four, my husband lived with Cooper for the first 2-3 months after we got him. Then I moved in. And he might possibly like mom better:) Well actually he loved me right away and you couldn’t tell a difference between how he acted towards me or my husband, until my husband left the house. Cooper didn’t care when I left but he whined and sat at the window when my husband left. Soon it dwindled away and now he is okay with either of us leaving. In all seriousness I think he is sort of like a kid…the mom is better for affection and snuggle and the dad is better for playing. I’m okay with that:)
    We certainly have not trained him not to bark or bite, and we haven’t gone out of our way to socialize him. We do enjoy these traits but can’t figure out where they came from. We aren’t sure if it has something to do with life on the street before we rescued him, or maybe the other mystery breeds that could be in him.
    Oh and he totally charmed us at the shelter with his quiet yet sweet and loving demeanor.

11. Melanie November 18, 2013 at 11:45 pm #

For me- it is and always will be a German Shepherd. I recognize- and actually like- that they are not for everyone, but they fit me to a T. The talking (ok, the whining/complaining/oh my god you left me here FOR FOREVER and I slept and I moved to sleep by the door and and and…), the Velcro with a capital V (Indigo still thinks I need assistance in the bathroom. After 8 years), the hair, the fear in people’s faces(idiots). Oops- was that my outside voice? Anyway, for me this breed is it. I am so lucky that I found it- and that others find theirs! I love me a Pittie face- I just want to pinch it and love it, love the way Dobermans move and sight hounds race, as well as a hundred other breeds and their ways. But the GSD is the one for me- a breed that is not the best at one thing- but is the best all around.

• Lauren December 24, 2013 at 10:51 am #

I have a question. (surprise, surprise!) Could I please have someones opinion on the Pembroke Welsh Corgi. I’m looking into the breed as a first dog (apart from the family dog, a border collie cross.)

12. Lauren December 24, 2013 at 9:19 pm #

• Joan November 3, 2015 at 2:52 am #

I had a Pembroke Welsh Corgi for 13-1/2 yrs. Loved her. From what I have seen, PWCs are either in your face friendly, or a little reserved with strangers. Mine was the more reserved type, but not snappish or hostile. She was a great companion– lived in 5 states with me, was with me when I got married, and went through my divorce. She wasn’t a big barker, as some herding breeds can be, but would make a kind of yodeling sound when she wanted attention. Get ready for shedding though– Sneakers shed both coats (undercoat and guard hairs) 365 days a year. Found her hair in my SUV for what seemed like years after she was gone. I really like the breed.

13. the_wolperting January 28, 2014 at 6:49 pm #

Would be cool for you guys to do a “Pros and Cons” on the splits within the splitter breeds; for instance, do one for a field lab and an english lab, or one for a showling German Shepherd and one for a working line German Shepherd. Thoughts?

14. Teresa January 28, 2014 at 8:25 pm #

Standard Poodles. Like living with a two/three year old child….forever! Sure they are smart, however they also think and make independent decisions (and my god, some of the decisions they make!) so one mustn’t mistake intelligence for “easy training” or built-in malleability. They have a really big range of temperaments and appearances within the breed, and so far, fortunately, are not a split breed. Yep, that hair keeps growing. I love them and hopefully will be continue to be surrounded by them 😉

….I love your articles.

15. Angie February 11, 2014 at 10:00 pm #

It’s funny, your cattle dog description really reminded me of my Pembroke Welsh corgi. I’m not sure whether he is typical for a corgi or not– the breed has been bred primarily as pets for so many generations, but he has a remarkable focus and love of farm dog work.

He is absolutely the “fun police” and enforcer of rules in the house. He will tell other animals what they can and can’t do with a sharp little warning bark. He will intervene if play gets too rowdy. And it takes him approximately 5 seconds to pick up on a new “rule” in the house, based on what Mom or Dad say to other animals. It can even be a problem sometimes – he learned after ONE incident that we didn’t want the cat upstairs while we were redoing the carpet, but we soon finished and wanted her to feel comfortable up there. It took a while longer to convince him that her presence was acceptable 🙂

He actually does love meeting new people and dogs, but he is NOT dog park friendly… he starts to shake and salivate from stress. I assume this has to do with his need for control and understanding of all situations, which you can’t really have at a dog park.

He is such a great helper, though. Our household really wouldn’t function as well without him.

16. Kelly April 14, 2014 at 5:10 pm #

My breed is Welsh Springer spaniels. I love my boys and they love me. I realize that a lot of people dismiss spaniels because they are supposedly “softer” in temperament than dogs like border collies, ACDs, Dobermans, etc., but that is exactly why I love them! They are mega Velcro dogs, are happy-go-lucky, have a good sense of humor, and are very versatile. They are very versatile—Welshies have competed successfully in agility, obedience, field trials, tracking, search and rescue, rally, hunt testing, therapy—they really are a versatile breed. And so beautiful—that rich red and pearly white is especially striking in the sun. And they haven’t split into dual lines (yet) and I hope they never will! Good with people of all ages, few health problems, pretty easy to groom. Cons—they do shed (although not nearly as much as GSD, ACD, huskies, Akitas), they can be a wee bit stubborn during training. Wonderful dogs!!!

17. Claire May 13, 2014 at 3:24 am #

I have a Boxer and a Doberman mix, and they are the best dogs for us. I know these kind of working breeds are not for everyone because they are easily bored (smart), independent, need lots of exercise and things to do, but this precisely why I love them. They want to be involved with whatever you are doing and are constant perimeter checkers, which is great when you live in a sketchy hood like we do. And after a long day of physical stimulation, fanatical house guarding, emphatic following and playing, they just want to be with you and snuggle. There is something truly sweet and wonderful about two 65 pound dogs that the bad guys are scared of snoring peacefully in your lap. 🙂

18. teri gillespie June 14, 2014 at 5:43 am #

My cattle dog is exactly as the article described. She DOES read my mind and because she is so good at it she is my ADA service dog! I have seizures as a result of my MS and she is a highly trained “seizure service dog”. I never thought the scrawny, tick-covered stray we saved from wandering the countryside would end up literally changing my life.

19. BigBearCarolina July 17, 2014 at 11:17 am #

Our ACD Annie at 7 months is a ball of energy and mischief. She does have a tendency to nip when playing but a quick yelp from us and she puts her ears back and looks very apologetic. Full of energy and always ready for a game of fetch or Frisbee, she loves to be part of the pack and is happiest when she has the whole family close to her. She is the smartest dog we have ever had, and sometimes you can just see her thinking. She loves to please, and is a real joy (most of the time :0) ).

20. lyndagraveline September 10, 2014 at 2:29 am #

I love my cattle dog! The mind reading is crazy, I basically just need to train her to do something and then be like BENTLEY! DO THE THING! And she gets it most of the time. Thank god she can read body language.There are times when I run off course in the agility ring when she stands there and barks at me, clearly pissed off that I ruined her run. Another cattle dog trait I find is they HATE to be wrong, it’s one thing when they don’t understand but when they know damn well that they’re right! One time early on in our agility training I corrected her for taking the wrong weave entry which turned out to be the correct one that I didn’t see right. She proceeded to bark at me and get the wrong entry for the rest of the night. A cattle dog never forgets!

21. skóra tłusta December 25, 2014 at 2:32 am #

Spot on with this write-up, I actually believe that this
    web site needs a great deal more attention. I’ll probably be returning to read more, thanks for
    the info!

22. AD January 19, 2015 at 6:41 pm #

My pittie is pretty spot on with the description. In many ways he’s a great match for me. Athletic and active, not hyper but enough to motivate me to get up off the couch. Up for almost any hike (does not like walking over pure ice or over widely spaced boulders). Very people and owner oriented so can trust him off leash (in the most responsible way, NEVER is he allowed to approach a strange dog). Very quiet, only barks for a good reason. Downside.. way too clingy. I am more of a cat person, I love cats independence so this dog.. ugh way too clingy! Give me some space dog! I want my next dog to be like a cat I can hike with. And he is less dog reactive than many non-pitties I know BUT when he is dog reactive he is REALLY dog reactive and goes into full out fighting pit mode. Very annoying.

• loveabull January 31, 2015 at 12:38 am #

Only two things I would add for pitties- sheer strength, I would seriously advise someone to do upper body weight training 4-6 months before adoption. Even the happiest most well adjusted bully will make you fly onleash. The other downside with any of the bully breeds is intestinal fortitude…May I suggest Zum mist in curtains and stuffed furniture?

23. missfayeblog March 24, 2015 at 9:49 am #

Just over a year ago lost my 14 year old red cattle dog, they will always be my breed, because they are simply amazing. I never really thought about he problem solved like crazy (learnt his own way to open our gate). And once you have one they always hold a piece of your heart, they will also protect that piece like crazy!

24. Elen June 30, 2015 at 5:05 pm #

I have a Belgian Sheepdog aka Groenie. My housemates have two Siberian husky mixes. One, Max, howls that husky howl. Pretty, but hard on the eardrums. The other, Oakley (who probably has some malamute or maybe Akita in him somewhere), tries desperately to howl but just can’t manage it. Instead, he ends up sounding like a tortured harbor seal. They have to sing the song of their people, no matter how tuneless.

Then my Groenie starts in, half-bark, half-howl. Dear gawd, it gets loud in here.

25. Rosemary July 19, 2015 at 5:52 am #

Re: ACDs and biting. Several years ago I was hanging out with friends at a German Shepherd national specialty. Someone called out “Does anyone have a Band-Aid?” My hand automatically shot up as I yelled “I do. I live with Australian Cattle Dogs.”

26. elizabeth pinkerton December 2, 2015 at 11:23 pm #

I had a working cattle dog called Ringer. When I got thrown from my horse while getting cattle in a long way from the house. I got knock unconscious for a while. The bloke with me had to go back to the house to get the ute to take me to the hospital. I had to stay awake and I didn’t want to. Ringer sat right next to me and barked and nipped me when I was showing signs of sleeping. She did that for an hour until I was picked up. I believe she saved me from a lot bad things happening. She was obsessed with her work, me and anything else she liked. She was a Queensland Bluey they are a bit different that the other ones, their coat isnt as thick and they don’t get affected by ticks as much, the double coat helps with that. She was the best dog Ive ever had, but they do need something to do, when they get bored they get into trouble!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. An update - Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums - March 11, 2015

[…] on going through a solid wood door. And energy! They're like a Malinois on crack. I also read the Dog Snobs article on them. Cattle dogs are towards the bottom. If I were going smaller and low maintenance… I like the […]